Zen FTTC 20% off

Caporegime
What number did you ring for sky? Going to give them a ring before jumping ship

I did ring some 0330 number but the man said I should just ring customer services next time which is 150 (I think) from a Sky landline. If 150 doesn't work, you need to go through the "contact us" steps on the Sky website and it will give you the right number.

Associate
I did ring some 0330 number but the man said I should just ring customer services next time which is 150 (I think) from a Sky landline. If 150 doesn't work, you need to go through the "contact us" steps on the Sky website and it will give you the right number.

Cheers, website has offered me a £10 pm reduction so far.

Soldato
I’m also interested in seeing any replies to this. I’ve just signed up for Zen and am unsure whether or not to keep my Netgear R7000. The Fritzbox gets good reviews but it’s difficult to find a meaningful comparison.

Not a comparison but just need to get a fibre modem before your router and you're good to go apparently

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connect...S-RT-AC68U-Router-to-BT-Infinity/td-p/1417026

Some good advice in this thread - about using the Fritz with the other router as AP ( so no bridging )
https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=66&topicid=204313

last edit:

fritz gets a good write up here https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...ons-uk-fttc-isps-integrated-vdsl-modem.html/2

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just been activated today and decided to stick with the R7000 and Openreaxh modem as the Fritz had poor WiFi coverage on the top floor.

Speedtest is showing 10Mb slower than Plusnet was yesterday. 44/10 today compared to 54/10 on Plusnet. Will it improve over time or will using the Fritzbox make any difference?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
It should improve, do you have stats from before and after? Unlocked HG612?

It could well be that G.INP was on your line and isn't now, it should be activated in time but could take a few weeks or more.

Are you interleaved?

Soldato
Just been activated today and decided to stick with the R7000 and Openreaxh modem as the Fritz had poor WiFi coverage on the top floor.

Speedtest is showing 10Mb slower than Plusnet was yesterday. 44/10 today compared to 54/10 on Plusnet. Will it improve over time or will using the Fritzbox make any difference?

When did you connect the fritzbox ? Before connection ? I suppose you coming from an already fibre connection. I am.moving from ADSL to fibre so not sure if I can put the fritzbox on the line now and it will do ADSL until it switches to fibre. Looking at Zen manual there are two different set ups for the fritzbox depending on the type of line so am hesitant to bother connecting it until the line goes off tomorrow. Installation says up to an hour off is that right ?

Man of Honour
It should improve, do you have stats from before and after? Unlocked HG612?

It could well be that G.INP was on your line and isn't now, it should be activated in time but could take a few weeks or more.

Are you interleaved?
I don’t have before stats. I’ll try to get some this evening for the new connection although I’ll have to figure out how! The modem is an Openreach branded ECI B-Focus V-2 Fub/r. Rev B.

I tested the WiFi on the Fritzbox without connecting it into the phone line so the hardware hasn’t been touched yet. I woke up this morning to find the Plusnet service had stopped so I logged into the R7000 and put in the Zen account details.

No idea about interleaved! Let me do some research to find out how to find all of this out and I’ll come back.

Thanks.

Soldato
ok so my connection went live this morning and i put the fritzbox on the line. Everything is working fine EXCEPT my phone says there is no internet when I connect to the wifi ( using the correct key) the internet works fine on the phone whilst connected to the new network but I have the little x on the wifi signal notification. Any thoughts ? It's a pixel XL running 8.1

2 other phones in house moto G5 and huawei G7 connect without saying no internet connection. Odd ?

EDIT. Seems fine now.

Last edited:

SMN

SMN

Soldato
2 months now with Zen, no outages (touch wood) compared to an almost daily occurance with Virgin Media. FritzBox is awful as a WLAN access point, however. I've got it in router mode only connecting to my 'real' router (Linksys ACS1900v2) until i can afford a unit that i can replace both with.

Soldato
is there anyone on Zen in north London - harringay - who could post a think broadband graph? i've got the usual virgin graph with a tonne of of yellow, and am thinking of moving when my contract expires in april...

Soldato
With Zen (and the majority of FTTC providers) it will be a lovely green graph sub 20ms.

Great news!! my average latency with virgin is ok, but there's constant peaks of yellow all day long. i got a phone calls from them today after filling in the form on the website i should be good for 71 download, and they have a bunch of diagnostic kit in the box i would connect to so sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom