ZEN Media server

Soldato
Is anyone else running a dedicated music server?

I toyed with a shuttle 'media server' many, many years ago, but soon tired of having a noisey PC in the living room. In the last few years I've built up my AV system, but I've been living in the hifi wilderness until now.

Over the years I'd amassed many cd albums, however short of ripping them to MP3 to play in the car, I've had no way to play this music in the house (other than with a laptop or pc, not ideal). This wasn't an issue until the birth of my daughter where I found I was spending more time at home (and sometimes in need of a little chill time). She's only 4 months bless her, but I've already found that she enjoys music and we now enjoy it together. To any new fathers looking for suggestions; AC/DCs 'Back in Black' will take her from meltdown to being sound asleep before the track has finished ;)

So I decided I wanted to make use of my CD collection and started looking for a decent cd transport to hookup to my AV amp. After much reading i soon realised that I wanted an audio setup better than what my AV equipment would offer. I also decided I actually wanted rid of the hundreds of Cds that were getting dusty in the garage, not keep them for another 25+ years.

After reading many reviews and threads about so called media servers, I came across this:

https://youtu.be/RlCG2fK-abo

I like the idea of good sound quality and it appeared to offer what I wanted, so I thought I'd try it. To get the Zen to work with 'my' existing setup, I needed another couple of pieces of equipment. I now have:
  • INNUOS ZEN mk3 2TB server
  • Cyrus 82 DAC Qxr integrated amp
  • Beresford TC 7220 router
This is linked to my existing AV equipment (KEF Q speakers and Pioneer SC LX801) via the router. This allows both amps to connect to my rear speakers while the center and surround sound speakers are handled by the Pioneer. You simply select which amp you want to use (for TV or music). It also let's you bi-wire to the speakers if you feel its worth it. It's a very neat little box that means I don't have to mess about with pre outs and music levels ultimately.

I spent all last night hooking this stuff up and I'm rather impressed so far. Albums are ripped to Flac for the metadata, but I could have done it to wav. Pop a CD in the Zen and it rips it automatically with little fuss.It takes a while to do your entire collection, but better than sitting at a pc clicking buttons.

You can use your tablet or smart phone with an app (ipeng or Orange squeeze I think) to control music playback directly on the Zen, rather than use it to stream to other equipment. So far so good.

It's early days, I haven't had the chance to really listen to different types of tracks and see how I feel about the sound. It might need some tweaking but I'm looking forward to chilling at home over the coming days/nights/weeks :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I love Darko on YouTube but it's all high end stuff that I could never justify.

I love Roon but again too expensive for me. .so I'm currently trying to find options that I could run out of a windows media server.

Your setup looks great,cant really go wrong at that price point!

Soldato
OP
iamtheoneneo - yeah I realised that this route was more niche, certainly more than it really should be. As Marv mentions, logitech media server is your option there for your Windows server.

I'm at the stage where I'm moving away from running PCs/servers in the house, I spend too much time on them at work. The ZEN works without the need of a PC and it's so simple to use, especially with ipeng as Marv mentions. It's also wifey proof which was the other requirement - she can enter/remove Cds for ripping and sees the tracks magically appear on the ipad. To me that's almost worth the extra outlay itself ;)

I had a good play last night, really loving finally having access to all my albums again. Previously I was looking at changing my Kef floorstanders as I wasnt convinced by the sound. Now however, I'm quite impressed with them, it was a bit like having new speakers. Admittedly running mp3s/cds/streaming music through my Av amp was never going to be perfect, but I wasnt convinced how much better it would sound through a hifi amp, until now. By 'better' I guess mean the clarity of the vocals, instruments etc. The bass seems less muddy now too, which was my main issue with the speakers before. I'm not suggesting this can't be done better or cheaper, but I'm quite happy as it stands. Now I just need wifey to overcome her fear of our harmony remote that controls all the AV kit...

[URL='https://flic.kr/p/2ggBD1N']
[/url]

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not sure about the older models, but this one is a mk3. Yes I believe it's still vortexbox running.

I should have taken a pic when all my Cds were on the floor, you couldnt see the carpet haha. That pic is just some soundtracks and the odd dance album :o

I should also note that I'm also quite happy with the Cyrus amp. I agonised over that or a Roksan or similar. Originally I was just going to go with an Audiolab MDAC+ but then it would have still used my Pioneer amp. Happier this way.

Soldato
Haha i remember doing the same thing. I just had a stack next to the box and then had everyone in the family looking out for an ejected cd ready to swap it over!

As mentioned, have a look at Bliss, it helps tidy up issues where you get inconsistencies like

Chemical Brothers
The Chemical Brothers
chemical brothers

That always annoys me, although maybe it's better now than it was when i used it ~8years ago.

https://www.blisshq.com/

Soldato
OP
So I've now had some time to properly play with this setup and I can honestly say I'm impressed; both in the sound quality and ease of use once setup.

I've now ripped almost 200 albums from Cds to FLAC and had little issue. The Zen did spit out one CD twice, half way through ripping, but this was solved by a proper clean of the CD. It also got confused a couple of times when ripping multiple discs from a set of 4 or 5 cds. It would rip the disc, but would label it 1 of 1, rather than 3 of 5. However this is easily fixed in 30s in the Zen's library manager. Marvt - you would be impressed from that aspect.

Lessons learned? Well speccing the Zen with 2TB of HD was overkill, even if I'd gone WAV over FLAC. I'm over half way through my collection and I'm only at 4% utilised space. I'd also say I underestimated how many cds I had, or how long it would take to rip them.

All in all though, I'm very pleased. Tracks are now so much more accessible and it's rekindled my enjoyment of just listening to music - no rooting in cupboards for missing cds/albums or complaining to the Mrs about the wrong cd in the wrong case (don't get me started). Everything is a finger tip away (put ipeng on an ipad or similar for ease of use) and we now spend evenings together, chilling to music. My wife is even interested in setting up her own playlist! This from someone who couldn't fathom the AV harmony remote, even after I set it up with one-touch shortcuts.

Actually, she's so impressed with the setup, she's letting me replace the KEFs with some Dali Rubicons. I won't go into that here, but after hearing these against some Dynaudio Evokes and B&W 703s, I was totally sold. I've got a set on loan just now and we are very happy with our music evenings now :cool:

Back
Top Bottom