1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zimbabwee

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Samtheman1k, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Samtheman1k

Wise Guy

I read this and this article today, about massive inflation in Zimbabwee. It's interesting because it is implying that inflation has been rocketing since 2004 (currently at around 1000%), coinciding with the land reform packages when the government removed white men their farms. The articles are implying that when this happened, the productivity of the farms plummited and, basically, were no longer run properly, causing a shortage of food.

I thought that this was obvious that this was going to happen in this kind of state, where the govenment tries to control everything. But do you see anyway out of this situation? I can't see them giving the farms back, but I also can't seem them training the new owners on how to farm, especially with the rest of the world reluctant to share knowledge and equipment due to Mugabe.

2. RaohNS

Sgarrista

Well i think the Zimbabwe problem is completely out of Mugabes own doing, not to sound strange in any way but since the "white" farmers were kicked out (iirc one of them was killed?) then the volumes of wheat, yeast etc fell, thus now bread is something rediculous like £400,000? Its very much like Germany pre-Hitler (post WW1)

Either way i think a solution to the problem would be to eject Mugabe as he only has his own agenda's in mind, remove him from power and bring in subsidies for the Joe Bloggs

>| Raoh |<

3. AJUK

Man of Honour

The solution is to kick out Mugabe, reinstate the white farmers and get the country back into work. Zimbabwe was once referred to as the 'bread basket of Southern Africa' because of its modern efficient agricultural system. The so called land reforms have caused the collapse of that industry and is one of the main causes of the inflation.

A bloke down my street fled Zimbabwe a few years ago because of Mugabe, he used to be a regional sales director for one of the biggest agricultural machinery companies, over night their business died.

Apparently, it is cheaper to wipe your arse on the bank notes than it is to buy toilet paper and prices can actually increase between picking up your shopping and taking it to a till. :eek:

What a very sad demise of one of Africa's jewels. :(

4. @if ®afiq

Soldato

Did the Africans think of it as an African jewel? Or was it just the wealthy elite who thought this?

5. scorza

Caporegime

I must admit, I have a certain amount of sympathy with Mugabe's notion of returning land occupied by a bunch of immigrants and returning it to the locals. However he's done it in entirely the wrong fashion - violence is never a solution. He should have nationalised the farms (and paid proper compensation) rather than confiscating them, and splitting them up between his "war veterans" is such a bad idea I don't know where to begin. Unfortunately Zimbabwe is just another african disaster now :(

6. AJUK

Man of Honour

What are you on about? :rolleyes:

7. @if ®afiq

Soldato

Why the roll-eyes?

What's so hard to understand? You called Zimbabwe "one of Africa's jewels" and so I asked if that is what the Zimbabwians and other Africans thought?

Why did you describe Zimbabwe as an African jewel? I know nothing of the history of the country so am curious.

8. Alan!

Gangster

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  9. Glaucus

Man of Honour

yep, leave them to it, cut all aid of any sort including charities. Maybe then the "war lords" would have to make some sort of economy to line there pockets with gold, rather than us providing it to them.

10. robmiller

Capodecina

What war lords? Are you sure you're even thinking of the right country here :confused:

11. Glaucus

Man of Honour

hence the "" mugabe and other such conies are no better than warlords/oppressors or what any other name you want to give them.

12. robmiller

Capodecina

o ok

I can't find recent figures, but Zimbabwe doesn't seem to get much foreign aid at all, BTW ($257.25 million globally in 1995).

Edit: they receive even less now—$178 million in 2000.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  13. RaohNS

Sgarrista

Good, i know in 05, they were asking for $33million to assist with food crisis

The less that goes to Mugabe the better

>| Raoh |<

14. marin

Hitman

Good news then about how Zimbabwe and Mugabe and his thugs are doing.

I feel sorry for the people of Zimbabwe, hopefully they will overthrow them and string them up for what they have done.

I think most western compaines + aid was pulled out many years ago when the land reforms occured - not the best idea to throw out the people who are making the countrys wealth, may have been a good idea is they had been trained up first to be farmers and it was done in-conjuction with existing farmers white or not.

15. Buzza

Wise Guy

Were these white farmers born there?, or citizens of Zimbabwe? if so, shouldnt they have as much right to the land as the "locals", even if it was taken from them several generations ago(?) and it also meant starvation for the people too.

If the whites have no rights to live in africa, then does that mean blacks have no right to live and own land here either?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  16. AJUK

Man of Honour

The white farmers were born there, Mugabe is an racist that has carried out ethnic cleansing, yet the world does nothing, unlike in South Africa. Draw your own conclusions as to why. :mad:

17. PlacidCasual

Soldato

Zimbabwe never needed foreign aid until recently, it had healthy agricultural and tabbacco industries turning healthy food surplusses for years.

There was a land redistribution scheme that the UK Government funded as a hang over from independence, not vast but regular. Basically it offered to buy out white farmers for redistribution to black Zimbabweans. The UK Government stopped funding it because it felt that the ruling politicians were using the system to buy themsleves nice ranches and not redistributing the wealth. This angered Zanu PF and it became electorally sound to blame the white farmers. This led to all the land grabs. Unfortunately the guys doing the land grabbing were from the townships no the local workers so they ended up subsistence farming. First class commercial farms were effectively returned to medieval standards of production, a righteous blow for equality.

The long and the short of it is Zanu PF and Mugabe have a strangle hold and the opposition can't unseat them. Many of the displaced farmers have been welcomed open armed by Zimbabwe's neighbours and given 100 year leases on land. Because they have track records as successful farmers they can get loans unnavailable to black Africans to start agri business and buy equipment. Places like Mozambique are reaping the rewards of welcoming the white farmers on mutually agreeable terms whilst Zimbabwe goes to the toilet.

If anyone with an ounce of sense and decency had been running the country the white farmers would have been removed from ownership over a number of years transferring the land to local co-operatives and maybe staying on as paid managers. Instead we get idiots scraping furrows in the ground with hand tools where monster fields of maze once grew.

Admittedly the majority of my opinion of the Zimbabwe situation comes from the UK press which Mugabe thinks is biased, and probably is, but black Tanzanians that I know don't hold him in much regard either.

18. Alan!

Gangster

Ni9

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  19. AJUK

Man of Honour

It was dark! Classic gaff from that incipid gnome Straw, the only thing he has ever got right is the whole veil fiasco.

I agree with yur comments on Tatchell, I deeply dislike the man for what he stands for but he does seem to be the lone voice of protest. Of course, his reasons are somewhat different than the rest of us but none the less valid.

20. anarchist

PermaBanned

Agreed.

Yip, white colonialism has certainly destroyed a lot of africa.