Zipp 303 Tubular Anyone got them?

Associate
Just ordered some of my local bike shop as he swears by them in terms of being the most aero at speed?

Lots of research but nothing conclusive really :confused:

Tried the clincher version and my average over my local ride of 30 miles went from 16 mph to 18 mph with about 2,500 feet of climbing :D

Didn't "feel" as good as my Cero AR30 Alloys on the climbs but these as super light alloy wheel I have.

Anyone got 303's on here and enjoy them?

IMG_3535.jpg

Associate
If your not racing you shouldn't have bought tubs. I run 303 clincher disc wheels and have done for almost 2 years now with no hassle. If you wanted pure speed tho you also should have went for 404s since you already have a set of "training wheels" for crappy weather.

On a positive note, your man has great tyre choice ;)

Soldato
I had a set with the older silver hub (v7 I think).

Good rim, didn't like the side to side movement in the hub, especially out the saddle, had to run the rear brakes super wide. May be better on the new hub but I'd rather run a DT Swiss 240 hub and gain a bit of weight or spend more and get a 180 or Chris King.

Nice and light, seemed quite aero. Stickers have clear coat over them so will last.

Rim stayed in one piece when I pulled a spoke through the rim in a crit accident. However warranty not as good as Enve or Lightweight.

No way they take you from 16 to 18mph. Maybe from 16 to 16.1.

I'd buy clinchers as unless racing there isn't really a downside, they are maybe 250-300g heavier but way more convenient.

Associate
OP
I felt 303's are a good compromise, my hills are 25% 33% and a lot of 10% climbs around me.

The wheels are for the weekly club rides which is very fast pace and they all use tubs, it's a risk I'll take.

The mechanic is very fast at swapping tubs at roadside however I will need to learn the art off him.

Soldato
Nice wheels, local lad has managed to crack 3 rims though.

Also fitted too many corsa evo CX than I would like to have.

Bike must feel lovely with them, one customer has a gtr as a second bike to his Felt F2. Recons its a great frame for the money.

Soldato
I felt 303's are a good compromise, my hills are 25% 33% and a lot of 10% climbs around me.

The wheels are for the weekly club rides which is very fast pace and they all use tubs, it's a risk I'll take.

The mechanic is very fast at swapping tubs at roadside however I will need to learn the art off him.

No offence, but if you're averaging 16mph on anything but a commute, I struggle to believe you'll be going at a very fast pace, enough to feel much, if any benefit of aero wheels.

Associate
OP
No offence, but if you're averaging 16mph on anything but a commute, I struggle to believe you'll be going at a very fast pace, enough to feel much, if any benefit of aero wheels.

The very fast pace I cant really hold yet, they will be in the high teens, i'm more mid pack at the moment. They have been riding along time and some average 300 miles per week. I've only been riding since march last year.

I felt the benefit straight away on the flats. Much easier to hold a higher speed near the 20 mph and above range. Most of my rides are around 3,000 feet of climbing so the average is always around 16's after this is taken into account.

The climbs I probably wont feel a huge difference? Not sure yet but I was losing out on the fast flats where I would burn out after a 50 mile ride.

Less effort to keep these wheels spinning will help me sustain my energy longer hopefully.

Still new to cycling and have much to learn, but feel progress after every ride.

Last edited:
Soldato
Beautiful bike! Kudos! :D

As mentioned you'll have found a deeper section 'quicker' for your flat riding. What weight are your Cero lightweight set? It's very hard to test 'speed' difference without a PWM, especially comparing light weight box sections to deeper section aero. The 303's are almost a slight compromise between a deeper section and a climbing wheel (which is why guys love them for racing, they're more a 'jack of all trades' than the 404).

Soldato
I did a hill climbing tour on enve 65s...

They didn't make me lose. I gave up 100g to a set of shallower wheels. Tubulars are light enough for it not to matter what rim depth you have.

Only reason not to run deep dish Tubulars is wind & handling IMO!

Back
Top Bottom