ZX6R F3 Re-attach brake light cable

Associate
So, in a moment of epic fail, I dropped my ninja last week. The only real damage was to the right hand rearset, where the bracket snapped in half. I got a replacement from a breaker and hooked it all up, and its all working fine except the brake light. There is a metal wire, with a spring in the middle and a hook on each end. One end hooks through the brake light switch thing, but I don't know what the other end connects to. I thought it connected to the part that the brake line connects to at the back of the lever, but if I put it there, pressing the brake pushes the cable up. Can anyone tell me where it connects?

If no one knows off the top of thier head, if anyone with an F3 is feeling super generous and would be willing to undo the front 2 bolts on their right hand rearset and take a picture of the back, I would be very grateful :)

Associate
The spring needs to be pulled away from the switch and will hook through the lever, hook the spring through the switch, hold it so its pulling the switch straight out and see what hole it falls near.

Associate
OP
Thanks. I tried that, there is only 1 attachment point that fits well, but that pushes towards the switch when you use the brake, not away (doh).

I'm wondering if it needs to go around another point first, but again, nothing seems to fit.

Soldato
There should be a peg sticking out of the brake pedal before the pivot, this is what the brake light switch spring hooks over. The peg will obviously be on the inside edge of the brake pedal.

Have a look at the picture in this auction and it should be obvious.

Associate
OP
Thanks again for the input guys.

Thats where I ran into problems, I saw the peg and assumed it went there, but when I tried it, the springs a touch to long - the peddle has to be almost fully down for it to activate the brake light and its slightly loose when its fully up. The switch is adjustable, and I've got it set as far back as I can, but its still just slightly to long. I don't think the springs stretched that I can see. Will have another look tonight to see if I can adjust it any more. Cheers again lads.

Associate
OP
I will - the only reason I didn't last night is by the time I got everything in place last night I was wearing more oil than the bike and was to drained to go wash up and then come back out to it :)

Soldato
It's quite possible something else got damaged in the fall. If the spring has not stretched then perhaps the switch itself, or it's mounting bracket is damaged? Does the brake pedal sit in the original position at rest. i.e. not higher up than it was?

Back
Top Bottom