Gear Thread - Pics

Man of Honour
:D I know, I like Marshalls though, but then I've never played through a valve...

I've actually been looking at valves recently as I hear they're supposed to be better. What makes them so good? Any particular recommendations? :)

IMHO I don't think that with modern technology there is much difference and the majority of gear magazines agree with me.
My mate has got a Marshall TSL602 (!) and a Fender Twin Reverb and he can get exactly the same tones out of my Marshall Valvestate 2000.
We've been rehearsing with our new band and he gets a perfect Ritchie Blackmore tone through either of his amps but last night he needed to borrow mine and he was upset that he got the same tone.

Soldato
the only thing I've heard a solid state/modelling amp do alright is heavily distorted metal, anything cleaner than that and the valve is always the winner :D especially when it comes to slightly overdriven blues, to me that's when valves really shine

Soldato
during a listening session the other day 3 lecturers, who know there stuff listened to a lads track that he had started working on, and they honestly thought he had recorded through a valve amp, due to its warmth, the lad revealed he used amplitube le :D

Soldato
during a listening session the other day 3 lecturers, who know there stuff listened to a lads track that he had started working on, and they honestly thought he had recorded through a valve amp, due to its warmth, the lad revealed he used amplitube le :D

Hehe, bet they were embarassed.

It can be quite hard to tell from recordings (although lecturers should be able to!) but live a valve always sounds so much more eargasmic

Soldato
Look what arrived today :)

Sorry about the terrible picture quality, I have the worst camera in the world.

pict0049ys4.jpg

pict0052gi6.jpg

Soldato
It can be quite hard to tell from recordings

Although I love valve amps myself it's pretty tricky to record them in such a way as to get that full flavour out of them, Programs like Amplitube aren't really trying to emulate amplifiers, they are trying to emulate the studio recorded sound of a certain amp, this is why for playing live or in a room a valve amp will outshine programmes like Amplitube but often for recording purposes the programmes will sound better. Unless you spend a long time faffing with mics and positioning etc (which is half the fun if you ask me).

pby

pby

Associate
Although I love valve amps myself it's pretty tricky to record them in such a way as to get that full flavour out of them, Programs like Amplitube aren't really trying to emulate amplifiers, they are trying to emulate the studio recorded sound of a certain amp, this is why for playing live or in a room a valve amp will outshine programmes like Amplitube but often for recording purposes the programmes will sound better. Unless you spend a long time faffing with mics and positioning etc (which is half the fun if you ask me).

ive used guitar rig for a while now. i mostly agree with you, amp modelling takes a bit of fiddling to get a good sound. guitar rig 3 sounds great with the right tunings and guitars, but it needed a lot of fine tuning.
its a different beast when you run it through a poweramp and guitar speakers though!

i dont doubt modelling amps sound just as good as valve amps but im going to stick with real amps because i would rather spend more time playing guitar than twiddling knobs :D

Man of Honour
i dont doubt modelling amps sound just as good as valve amps but im going to stick with real amps because i would rather spend more time playing guitar than twiddling knobs :D

That is very true.
In the early 80s I went with a mate to buy one of the first Mesa Boogies in the country which was £1600.
He plugged in his guitar and then spent the next hour trying to get a sound out of it.
All of the guys in Wishers at Derby couldn't get a decent sound either so he gave up and went to sit in the main amp room.
He turned round and saw a 30 watt valve Marshall and plugged in his Les Paul and the sound was there immediately.
He also saved around £1300.

Soldato
That is very true.
In the early 80s I went with a mate to buy one of the first Mesa Boogies in the country which was £1600.
He plugged in his guitar and then spent the next hour trying to get a sound out of it.
All of the guys in Wishers at Derby couldn't get a decent sound either so he gave up and went to sit in the main amp room.
He turned round and saw a 30 watt valve Marshall and plugged in his Les Paul and the sound was there immediately.
He also saved around £1300.

:(

Mesa Boogies need to be cranked to sound good, he should've tried it with an attenuator

Back
Top Bottom