*** Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ £447.99 inc VAT ***

Associate
I am looking to get one of these before the 17.5 VAT cuts in. Is there any way for OCuK to verify before I purchased that ones they would ship are A01?
It won't be A01.

Although an A01 firmware exists apparently they haven't shipped ANY new screens with A01 yet. Not only that, according to Dell, when they DO ship an A01 revision it will ONLY be on refurbished screens to people who specifically complain about any dithering in sRGB and Adobe modes under their warranty.

What I find very strange is that Dell, right now, have no plans to ship an A01 revision on new screens. Of course this may be because they want to get any potential Christmas sales out of the way without people holding off for a new revision. So perhaps they'll start shipping A01 in the New Year. However, if this is not the case, this would imply that the A01 revision may introduce new issues itself, and thus will not be released except to those who complain about dither in those mode specifically.

So, if anyone's waiting for a "guaranteed A01" screen, don't expect that to be until at least early spring, given the fact that it'll probably take some weeks to clear out any older stock. That's IF they even release the A01 revision for new screens..

Associate
Does OCuK guys have any guesses as to the ratio (based on what they have RMA'd) or at least end users querying them first about this. I.e

Is it a 1 in 5 chance that I might get a bad one. After all, with spending this kind of cash I really dont want to have to go through the pain of RMAing it. Should Dell be putting out a monitor with this level of known (poor yield) output?

Soldato
I have received my U2410 from Overclockers :)
The monitor is not perfect, but its alright... I was expecting more from a product this expensive.
First there is a slight green tint on the left and pink on the right.
I have some picture on a white background, but I don't know how to increase the effect in paintshopro. Anyone could take a look and pump up the Hue to see if it's too pronounced or not?
http://img207.imageshack.us/i/bw002.jpg/
http://img706.imageshack.us/i/bw003.jpg/

- There are no bad pixels;
- The viewing angles are not that good;
- The contrast ratio is not great;
- There is a white glow when viewing black, but guess that's only avoidable with A-TW polarizer;
- And the worst of all the card reader only worked ONCE! :o :mad: I have this xD-Picture card from fujifilm and the monitor only read it once, when I turned the monitor off the card was not read anymore.
- Also dont like when you press the power button the USB ports and card reader are also disconnected from windows. This means every time you turn on or off the monitor also the USB/cad hub is also installed/uninstaled. :rolleyes:

The USB hub on my B Grade one works fine with the monitor turned off at the button. Yes it does cycle the mouse and keyboard on power on (not off), but I only do this every so often, usually if I'm using my 2408 as secondary and don't want the main one on and the keyboard and mouse keep working as soon as the 2410 is turned off. The card reader also works great, shame there is no compact flash however but my 2408 does that. I'd suggest you call Dell if you are having problems with yours, they will replace it at the doorstep if required.

The viewing angles are fine, as good as my 2408 PVA if not better. Same with input lag, colour reproduction, stand etc, it’s all slightly better. The menu and buttons however are vastly improved, it is so much easier than the 2408 to navigate and change options.

Soldato
Does OCuK guys have any guesses as to the ratio (based on what they have RMA'd) or at least end users querying them first about this. I.e

Is it a 1 in 5 chance that I might get a bad one. After all, with spending this kind of cash I really dont want to have to go through the pain of RMAing it. Should Dell be putting out a monitor with this level of known (poor yield) output?

I wouldn't worry about getting a replacement one, Dells warranty is great and it only takes a phone call, then they exchange it at your door, very painless. From the reviews I've read and my personal experiences this monitor is very good, but obviously some people are having problems and that is unfortunately to be expected with any new monitor.

Soldato
Oh dear, oh dear.

I've actually got one of these sat in my Overclockers basket (my 21 inch CRT seems to be on it's last legs) but reading here about pink tints and dithering issues is definitely putting me off of spending £440!!! Funny how these issues don’t get mentioned in the rave reviews that say the Dell UltraSharp U2410 is the best 24inch monitor at the moment.

My monitor needs include photography and a bit of FPS gaming. I'm wondering now whether I should just dig out my old reserve monitor (IIYAMA 454) and use that until someone manages to bring out a decent 24 inch screen!

Does anyone think that buying a Dell U2410 is still the smart move?

Cheers.

Soldato
Oh dear, oh dear.

I've actually got one of these sat in my Overclockers basket (my 21 inch CRT seems to be on it's last legs) but reading here about pink tints and dithering issues is definitely putting me off of spending £440!!! Funny how these issues don’t get mentioned in the rave reviews that say the Dell UltraSharp U2410 is the best 24inch monitor at the moment.

My monitor needs include photography and a bit of FPS gaming. I'm wondering now whether I should just dig out my old reserve monitor (IIYAMA 454) and use that until someone manages to bring out a decent 24 inch screen!

Does anyone think that buying a Dell U2410 is still the smart move?

Cheers.

The alternative is the HP LP2475w which gets good reviews as one of the best IPS 24" monitors.

I have to say though I have none of the issues mentioned here and I'm very pleased with my purchase. Although that being said I purchased one of the B Grade units which was nearly £80 cheaper.

It is worth pointing out that any major problems will be addressed either with replacements from Dell through their warranty or revisions at a later date. All of the new Dell monitors have had issues which have been solved and this is no different being a recent release.

You can also return the monitor back to OcUK for a refund under the 7 day DSR act but it may take more than 7 days to get used to the monitor. I think people often don't give new screens a chance. It being a recent release also means that it will hold its value well, so selling on eBay or the forums would be another alternative if you don't get on with it.

Xon

Xon

Associate
From what I read on the HP thread it has the same pink tint issues which seem to indicate it's the panel that's the problem!

Soldato
From what I read on the HP thread it has the same pink tint issues which seem to indicate it's the panel that's the problem!

Ah right, but then again my Dell 2408 a PVA screen has a slight pink tint issue as well. Maybe it is more down to some peoples eyes? Many people I've spoken to don't see it with theirs.

Xon

Xon

Associate
Could be. Unfortunately I got scared and decided against buying this monitor - I live in Malta and it's too much of a hassle to send it back if it bugs me.

To be honest though, I would think most people coming from a TN and just wanting a general upgrade would be very happy with this monitor!

Associate
PEOPLE? PLEASE GET THIS THROUGH YOUR HEADS... The reason why these monitors have a tint is not because of a defect it's because the monitor is a wide gamut monitor. Every single wide gamut monitor will do this. The only way to avoid this is proper hardware calibration.

Soldato
PEOPLE? PLEASE GET THIS THROUGH YOUR HEADS... The reason why these monitors have a tint is not because of a defect it's because the monitor is a wide gamut monitor. Every single wide gamut monitor will do this. The only way to avoid this is proper hardware calibration.

Yeah and using the ICC profile on tftcentral is a good start if people don't have any calibration tool. Works perfectly on my screen!

Associate

But isn't the problem a variation in tint across the screen which calibration will not fix?

Soldato
Yeah and using the ICC profile on tftcentral is a good start if people don't have any calibration tool. Works perfectly on my screen!

Good point, will try that now. Has anyone got a good guide for this as Windows 7 seems to be setout differently than Vista?

In Color Management I've set it as the default profile under the Devices tab and the Device Profile Under the Advanced tab "Windows Color System Defaults" section at the top. Are there any other changes that I have to make?

Xon

Xon

Associate

Considering DELL have admitted the issue exists but it's within testing limits (although they've also admitted they're not ideal testing limits) the issue is very much real.

Last edited:
Associate
Considering DELL have admitted the issue exists but it's within testing limits (although as admitted they're not ideal testing limits) the issue is very much real.

No, every review i've read says that this monitor delivers extremely accurate color once properly hardware calibrated. I haven't heard of an actual defect with the monitor panel that can't be fixed by calibration. Sure there may be the odd person with a dodgy monitor but that happens to every monitor. The reason why this monitor looks to have a large coloour tint or complete oversaturation in colours is infact because it's wide gamut like i said before, which means it uses an extended colour space suitable for graphics proffesional/photographers etc who use colour managed applications. Even the super high end £5-10000+ Lacie's, Eizo's and NECs will do this (wide gamut ones)

This monitor is not designed for gamers or people who want to randomly browse the internet and no offense the people that bought it, but you should have done some more research.

Back
Top Bottom