Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

Man of Honour
Unlikely that there will be anything approaching a normal service. Good chance there'll be a limited service, from a few airports though.

This, but it all depends on the outcome of some studies on how dense the ash is, at which levels and many other things. I believe ICAO standards recommend a 160nm buffer zone from reported volcanic ash but this could be reduced especially when airlines are under commercial pressure to start flying again.

Man of Honour
Latest NATS update:

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Friday April 16, 1445

The cloud of volcanic ash continues to move south through the UK and the eruption in Iceland continues.

Following a review of the latest Met Office information, NATS advises that restrictions preventing flights in controlled airspace over England and Wales will remain in place until 0700 (UK time) tomorrow, Saturday 17 April, at the earliest. From 1900 (UK time) today ATC restrictions will be lifted in a large part of Scottish airspace including Scottish airports, Shetland, Orkneys and also Northern Ireland. On this basis, North Atlantic traffic can also operate to/from points in this airspace. Please note these arrangements do not mean that all flights will operate. Anyone hoping to travel today or tomorrow should contact their airline before going to the airport.

We are looking for opportunities when the ash cloud moves sufficient for us to enable some flights to operate under individual coordination with ATC. Some aircraft were able to operate at Manchester this morning, although restrictions are now reapplied to Manchester.

We hope there may be some opportunity from the north into Newcastle after 0100 (UK time) tomorrow - Saturday. We will review further Met Office information and at 2030 (UK time) we will advise further arrangements. In general, the situation is dynamic and subject to change.

We continue to work closely with airports, airlines, and the rest of Europe to understand and mitigate the implications of the volcanic eruption.

http://www.nats.co.uk/

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes it was 18 months but it did happen over 140 years ago. The chances are it'll clear and flights will resume to a normal service but the ash cloud could return at any time causing chaos again.

Soldato
Well, that was a quiet night shift! The Ops Room at NATS Prestwick Centre was pretty much deserted last night! Was a bit spooky.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's just sods law really isn't it. I've been waiting to go home for 3 months....then my first flight gets cancelled....then this....then the bloody winds decide to blow in an unusual manner grr :p

Caporegime
Has anyone got any more info on if Katla is going to errupt? E.G. Are they going to go and have a lokk at it or something?
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/821991-iceland-volcano-that-was-just-a-little-one-warn-volcanologists

Edit: In case of somekind of doomsday scenario I have just setup a tinfoil hat factory in my lounge.

When I first heard about the groundings yesterday I assumed it was Katla having gone off (been following the eruption of the other volcano for a while).

It's reasonably probable that Katla will go off, following historic data, however there should be precursors to it, earthquakes being the main one, it could be in 6 months though so nobody knows.

All we need now is for Vesuvio and Etna to erupt.

Etna's been erupting for years. :p

In fact I went there this time last year and saw the lava!;)

Caporegime
What is it with all these natural disasters at the moment.. There has been a steady rise in eruptions and floods and things. Must be the earth warming up?

No, it's just there are too many people on earth...

Well specifically people are everywhere, alongside global communications so incidents are communicated everywhere instantly.

Caporegime
One if the main issue I believe is that Jet engines can melt the sand/glass particals as they get sucked through a jet engine.

The danger comes when this molten glass sets before leaving the engine (stopping stuff working)

Aparently volcanic dust can strip Car paint at 80-90 mph. So dread to think what happens to a 747 at 550mph with 4 engines full of glass.

My sister suggested they should just stick some muslim over the front of the engine...

I have no idea how sticking some poor person over the front of an engine would help but you never know...

(She meant Muslin...):p

Soldato
They (science people) are sending a plane up to assess the situation. According to a professor they just had on sky news it depends on what the samples are like that they take - AND where abouts the clouds are (its the way to get accurate details) to see if we fly sooner rather than later.

He mentioned that yes - there could be a risk if its very very very fine HOWEVER he predicts that the risk will be so small, we may as well fly (as there is always a risk with flying anyway)

Back
Top Bottom