Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

Soldato
There was some quite interesting reports post 9/11 about how the reduced Air Travel for those few days in 2001 did have some kind of measurable affect on the environment. Will dig out links when I get home!

A bad affect if i remember correctly.

3. Airplanes' contrails may also play a role in climate change. Contrails are high-altitude vapor trails. They form when water vapor in the atmosphere condenses and freezes around tiny, cooled particles of engine exhaust.

The three-day grounding of all American air traffic after September 11, 2001 created a natural experiment for studying contrails' effects. Researchers discovered that the absence of contrails expanded the difference between daytime and nighttime temperatures by a full degree Celsius, compared with the average of the last three decades. The difference was even greater in Cascadia and other heavy-air-traffic, mid-latitude regions (see endnote 5). Apparently, contrails dampen natural temperature variations.

Source: http://www.sightline.org/research/energy/res_pubs/rel_air_travel_aug04

Mega PDF original source document

Last edited:
Caporegime
There was some quite interesting reports post 9/11 about how the reduced Air Travel for those few days in 2001 did have some kind of measurable affect on the environment. Will dig out links when I get home!

Something along the lines of slightly cooler and air quality increasing massively. An almost wholely positive effect unfortunately (ie it shows how much of an effect air travel has on the atmosphere).

Caporegime
I was actually thinking to myself last night if this indeed has been a massive over reaction on the behalf of the aviation industry and not wanting to open itself up to all sorts of claims from family IF the worst did happen.

Soldato
According to what I've heard on the news, if a jet plane flies through a cloud of this ash/gas in the atmosphere, you basically have to junk the engines.

At £15 million each.

Soldato
i think the whole thing is a farce which has been blown well and truely out of proportion. alright, if the volcano was in Scotland with plumes of smoke all over the UK. but we are talking about a volcano 1500 miles a way which most of the ash will have dispersed into the atmosphere anyway. looking out of my window now I can't see a cloud in the sky :confused:

Caporegime
i think the whole thing is a farce which has been blown well and truely out of proportion. alright, if the volcano was in Scotland with plumes of smoke all over the UK. but we are talking about a volcano 1500 miles a way which most of the ash will have dispersed into the atmosphere anyway. looking out of my window now I can't see a cloud in the sky :confused:

>.<

Soldato

Yeah, they really made a mountain out of a mole-hill with this one...

...or a volcano as it were :p

Do you want to run the risk of taking a flight and the engines clogging up mid-way?

Soldato

looks like thats /thread guys n girls :o

-.-

Back
Top Bottom