• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unlock your ATI 6950 to a 6970 Thread

Associate
Ok, i just worked out that to get the rest i have to put the sliders up higher using MSI Afterburner!

But i can't overclock more then the 6970 spec? why is that?. do i need to unlock something in MSI Afterburner?
This is what i have after putting the sliders up to max!
Hmmm i'm sure the default should show 6970 specs!!

Cheers.

576.png

Associate
default clocks for 6970 are 880/1375 and should go up to 950/1450 on afterburner

might have to re install ati software/drivers

*Edit*

or try applying defaults on overdrive in catalyst control center

Last edited:
Associate
default clocks for 6970 are 880/1375 and should go up to 950/1450 on afterburner

might have to re install ati software/drivers

*Edit*

or try applying defaults on overdrive in catalyst control center

Hi,
I tried all that. any ideas why it's not working as it should. default should be 6970 specs, but only come alive when i up the sliders. but can't go any further. wouldn't be the 12.6 beta drivers would it?
Pic below.

Any other way of doing this anyone?

Cheers :)

17pu94.jpg

Associate
Try downloading ATIWinFlash and unlocking the rom?

I have Winflash! what's unlocking the rom, and how do i do this.. seems like it's 80% unlocked, but the rest isn't. never had problem in my x58 board!
Hence why i started over.

This is the way i had to do it!

Saved the orig 6950 bios! then opend ATI RBE. then loaded the 6950 bios, and then clicked on the additional feature, then click on the 6970 shaders count, then saved the bios. and then flashed that BIOS to my 6950 using winflash to unlock the shaders. but seems like i havn't done something i should have?

Associate
So you have now unlocked the additional shaders on your 6950?

Unlocking the rom enabled me to go past the values in CCC.

From the first page on this thread:

- Unpack the Winflash download onto your desktop in a folder called "winflash"
- Save the 6970 BIOS in your Winflash folder and name it unlock.bin
- Click Start Button
- Type "cmd"
- Right click the entry and select "Run as Administrator"
- Black command prompt windows opens
- Type "cd %USERPROFILE%\desktop\winflash"
- Type "atiwinflash -unlockrom 0" <-- the 0 means first adapter, if you have multiple cards, physically uninstall all but the one you want to flash
- Type "atiwinflash -f -p 0 unlock.bin"
- It should complete the flashing process with a message saying something with "verified".

However I have maybe found a safer option for you here

I'm nearly sure unlocking my 6950 rom, (before I flashed it with the 6970 bios), allowed to set higher values in CCC and Afterburner, however maybe wait for confirmation from someone?

Associate
- Unpack the Winflash download onto your desktop in a folder called "winflash"
- Save the 6970 BIOS in your Winflash folder and name it unlock.bin
- Click Start Button
- Type "cmd"
- Right click the entry and select "Run as Administrator"
- Black command prompt windows opens
- Type "cd %USERPROFILE%\desktop\winflash"
- Type "atiwinflash -unlockrom 0" <-- the 0 means first adapter, if you have multiple cards, physically uninstall all but the one you want to flash
- Type "atiwinflash -f -p 0 unlock.bin"
- It should complete the flashing process with a message saying something with "verified".

Hi this is what i have tried already! and i get blank screen.
So seems like on this Z77 board i can only unlock the shaders nothing else.
Was fine before on my X58 board.

Permabanned
My 6950 is unlocked to 6970 shaders. I've tried everything to get stable past the 840/1325 CCC limits but haven't found a solution. Gonna sell this card and get a 7870 I think.

Associate
Seems like I also have the problems that other people have. I can unlock mine to a 6950 w/1536 shaders, but can't unlock it to have default 6970 clocks. It just doesn't boot at all, and the mobo has a red light next to the GPU.
Is it like others are suggesting, a problem with the z77 boards?

Associate
I had a similar problem to you guys, my card would only overclock so far then wouldn't go any further. However I flashed it with the 6970 firmware at it runs stable and will allow me to overclock further however I haven't done that yet just tested it. I don't understand what I was doing wrong or why it wouldn't over clock. I tried using software and overclocking by the bios. See my post at the top of the page for a link to my thread.

The red light you mentioned, I have that when the PC is off and when I turn I on the red light goes off.

Edit: just noticed you said the red light is on your motherboard and not the card. Mines on the card, I also don't have the same motherboard as you, so don know what's up with these cards. Strange :/

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well I tried flashing the already unlocked BIOS (switch position 2) and it just boots to a black screen now if BIOS is in position 2. So I am now stuck back on the original BIOS (switch position 1) without the shaders unlocked.

Associate
Well I tried flashing the already unlocked BIOS (switch position 2) and it just boots to a black screen now if BIOS is in position 2. So I am now stuck back on the original BIOS (switch position 1) without the shaders unlocked.

mate, from the instructions, i gathered that 2 is the bios default and 1 is the bios we are able to flash?

Associate
I messed up the bios at one point too, was able to flash over it by booting up on the bios that works then once booted up, flick the switch to the other position and flash it.

That's how I got around it anyway. Is switch position 2 the one closest to the display ports? That's what I flashed.

Permabanned
I flashed the BIOS in the switch where the shaders are already unlocked. I thought the other switch position with the default shaders was the original that couldnt be flashed

Soldato
Guys use a program called RACERX google it for the latest version
it will fix your : PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable

For those that have flashed the shader mod only, input with the program your desired 6970 speeds and runt he reg file it spits out and reboot, presto fixed. ;)

just remember if you get into issues again keep your reg file and input it again after every driver install, dont forget to reboot.

Soldato
I flashed the BIOS in the switch where the shaders are already unlocked. I thought the other switch position with the default shaders was the original that couldnt be flashed

position 2 is default .
positon 1 closer to power connectors is the bios to flash to, or the 1536 bios/ + that bypasses 6950 max clocks 840 / 1325.

If you disable ccc overdrive and use trixx you can bypass the 840/1325 limits even with a default 6950 bios/switch 2

Soldato
Hi,
I tried all that. any ideas why it's not working as it should. default should be 6970 specs, but only come alive when i up the sliders. but can't go any further. wouldn't be the 12.6 beta drivers would it?
Pic below.

Any other way of doing this anyone?

Cheers :)

17pu94.jpg

Yeah you need to go into the folder location of afterburner and open up
MSIafteerburner.cfg file using notepad.

Scroll down to atiadlhal and change it to this.
[ATIADLHAL]
UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1
AccessibilityCheckingPeriod = 0

then save the file

Permabanned
position 2 is default .
positon 1 closer to power connectors is the bios to flash to, or the 1536 bios/ + that bypasses 6950 max clocks 840 / 1325.

If you disable ccc overdrive and use trixx you can bypass the 840/1325 limits even with a default 6950 bios/switch 2

I tried to flash it in Position 1. The switch was flicked closer to the power connectors and was the 1536 shader bios. That bios now no longer works (black screen) so now I have to use the default 1408 shader bios and for some reason my card wont overclock for ****. Anything over the 840/1325 limit seems to make it crash or artifact.

Back
Top Bottom