The Syla5 Files

Caporegime
No - it's just the required muscles aren't keeping his knees out. I think.

Cheers :)

Tight "outside of hip" isn't going to be blocking the good positioning here. If anything, he needs to stretch his adductors (inside of hip).

However, the big tell here is that he CAN have his knees out, but they move in under load.

The solution is more squatting and forcing the knees out constantly.

Cheers dude. I'm not disputing what you're saying, just trying to understand it for myself :)

Man of Honour
:D

Also, considering that Syla5 is already doing x-band walks, it kind of suggests it's more of a VM limitation. This is why I'm suggesting more *good* squatting, as this is the best way of bringing a weak VM up to task. More x-band walks will be good for glute med. which most people need...

So really, more everything!

Edit:
Cheers dude. I'm not disputing what you're saying, just trying to understand it for myself :)
I know mate, I'm just trying to explain it clearly ;)

Soldato
OP
Don't be a pussy! ;)

You have an easy 5kg on the squats and more on the deads if you tighten up.

Knees coming in during the squat is definitely not a hip tightness issue here, just weak/poorly conditioned glute medius and VM.

Thanks for the pep talk and advice, more good squating it is.

You can always join the gym bunnies on the mat for some glute bridges ;)

...............:D

Soldato
OP
Week 3 of the 5's cycle one has begun.

Squats this morning felt better then last week for sure, and considering i still have back doms like a small elephant has given me a massage from deads on friday, i am pretty pleased with that.

110x5x3. My target for this first cycle is supposed to be 115x5, i will be doing this on friday but i will be looking to push this a little. If i can match or exceed this i will be happy considering all my maxes were sent in the evening, and I definately notice a difference in morning training.

Rest of the session was pretty similar.

Pulldowns 70kg
Dips BW+25kg
OHP i repeated 47.5 as i failed on the last rep of set 3 last week. Hit all 3 sets this morning.
Calf Press rather then go heavy and less reps (was supposed to do 245x5) i decided to throw in a little volume here so did 220x10x3 (done on a leg press)

Roll on the rest of this week and then i might carry on the 5's for another week as its good to be lifting heavy again :D

Soldato
OP
its hard to tell, I still dont think I am getting the most out of my body at that time in the morning, and it takes a little longer to get warmed up and stretched out. Apart from that i am happy with it. Sets me up nicely for the day.

Strength wise, its hard to judge how i am comparing as all my previous pb's were set pre cut and in the afternoons. I will see how cycle 2 of hst goes and then i think i should be able to compare pb's after that.

Soldato
OP
I'm glad you pushed for more weight :)

technically i should have been doing 115x5x3 by friday last week so i am a bit behind today :(

I will push for 115x5x3 on friday and if sets 1 and 2 go well i will wack on another 5kg and see how 120x5 feels. I would be disappointed if i didnt at least get 115x5x3 at the end of this cycle.

Man of Honour
I know, but you weren't going to increase your squat weight because of something to do with your ovaries...

115kg will be fine, and I'd probably go for 120kg as you've described.

Soldato
OP
Day 2 of week 3 of 5's back to some heavy deadlifting.

On monday i was still feeling the doms from fridays 125x5x3 deadlifting. As stated things felt slow on friday.

Coming in today i was apprehensive but determined.

Deadlifts
60x5 90x3 110x2
125x5
felt nice and solid
130x5
130x4 :( still felt good but i could feel the pump in my lower back, so i left the last rep on the floor.

as far as i am aware 130x5 is a new current bw PB. I believe i have done this before, but without looking through my logs i have no way of remembering for certain.

Rest of the session

Bench 75x5x3
RDL 85x5x3 (PB)
leg Press 290x5x3
BB Curl 35x5x2 damn i was blitzed by this point.

I have one day left of 5's and then i will be on a weeks deload. I shall post up my planned 2nd cycle :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
damn, posting from work so cant see the vids myself, have to upload from the phone and then try and link them lol.

Will fix when i can........any better?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I can see why you feel the pump in your lower back! The 130x5 video appears to show some play in your middle/lumbar region.

Although, after that workout, I'm still impressed you could lift! :)

Associate
I think the feeling in your back may be coming from the way you lower the bar. You can see in the video that your knees and your hips both flex at the same time, the knees sometimes just before the hips. This means that the bar hits your legs but also that your lower back has to round to stop you from falling over.

I realise you are probably being careful about lowering it for a reason but you need to make sure you can do it in a good position. You need to start the negative portion with a hip hinge, so keep your core fully braced and pivot at the hips shifting them back as you do so as to keep your centre of gravity over the bar path.

Not the best example but you can see a little what I mean:

My knees don't really bend that much until the bar has already passed them.

See if you can get that going in your next sesh :).

Soldato
OP
spot on with that dom, i know my negative is rubbish! and i need to make sure i hip hinge. There is no reason i am lowering slowly other then poor negative technique.

I shall keep all the mentioned tips/ques in mind :)

Back
Top Bottom