*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
As much as I enjoyed and wasted hundreds of hours on the original Elite & Frontier etc. I just can't see this living up to my high expectations. But if it turns out well, I'll buy it!

Soldato
That project was for $20k, had one programmer after the 'developer' thought it could be done in a year, and when it wasn't the programmer had other stuff to do. That is not in the same league as a guy who has a company and has successfully delivered multiple games. A lot of the well-funded kickstarters have serious experience behind them.

But at the end of the day you can wait off and buy the full game once your happy. As a huge fan of the original Elite, i'm paying my £40 because I want to see this happen.

You're right, it was only a small project (it wasn't just a single programmer though). As I said previously I was just making the point because the way I had read the post I quoted, seemed to me as if there was some confusion over whether you were buying a game or donating. This has since been clarified. Regardless of the size of the projects, what i've said is true and is something people should be aware of if they weren't already - there are plenty of big studios that have gone down the pan in the middle of a big name game too don't forget.

It can't do any harm to be discussed though, as it may well be something a few people weren't aware of, as it is a relatively new concept in the gaming world.

Associate
I'm very tempted to back but I think I'll wait a week until there's some video of the project so far before making any pledge. Apparently some is on its way. BBC video isn't working for me.

Soldato
OP
It's over 20% in under a day. I can't see this missing its target. Kicktraq has it trending toward £8Mil (although we know that it'll slow down after the initial interest) so hitting it's target can't be too much of a stretch.

Man of Honour
It's over 20% in under a day. I can't see this missing its target. Kicktraq has it trending toward £8Mil (although we know that it'll slow down after the initial interest) so hitting it's target can't be too much of a stretch.

Depends how soon it gets through initial interest and runs out of people old enough to remember the game, etc. and without a bit more promotional material isn't gonna get much interest from people who haven't played the original.

Soldato
OP
Depends how soon it gets through initial interest and runs out of people old enough to remember the game, etc. and without a bit more promotional material isn't gonna get much interest from people who haven't played the original.

No and I've suggested the very same thing to the Frontier guys. They've started to push forward a little on things like a homepage http://elite.frontier.co.uk/ but it's not a lot to go on. Things like concept art and WIPs would go a long way.

Soldato
OP
The ship in that link looks like the Moray Starboat!
Great ship for an Assassin.

Hehe - nah I think you'll find that it's a Viper - one of the police ships in the game.

Viper
viper.gif

Moray Starboat
moray.gif

Personally I think the Asp was the best for Assassin missions.

Permabanned
Hehe - nah I think you'll find that it's a Viper - one of the police ships in the game.

Viper
viper.gif

Moray Starboat
moray.gif

Personally I think the Asp was the best for Assassin missions.

Dam it i was looking at the space station and not the small ship entering it, I thought the space station was the ship!

What about the Cobra MkIII with class 3 military drive?
Pretty good all rounder from what i can remember,the military drive could be hard to find sometimes.

Soldato
OP
Dam it i was looking at the space station and not the small ship entering it, I thought the space station was the ship!

What about the Cobra MkIII with class 3 military drive?
Pretty good all rounder from what i can remember,the military drive could be hard to find sometimes.

Yeah the MKIII was great for nostalgia but the Asp had the added space to add decent shields and a nice sized beam laser once you'd slapped a military drive in it. From memory you could put the next sized up drive in it and get around twice the range of a MKIII which was important because of the time constraints of an assassination mission.

Permabanned
Whet was the big bad ass triangle ship, was it the python?

There was a Python and a Boa from what i can remember, The Panther Clipper was the Daddy for making lots of cash though and pretty much invincible with lots of lasers and loadsa shields, It was that powerful i used to just let ships crash into me and it would only take like 2% off the shields.

Needed a crew of 12 people to pilot which could be a pain to find if i remember, Seems like last month when i played yet it was years ago, Around 20!!

Permabanned
There was also the Mamba which was a classic Elite pirate ship but I don't think it made it into Frontier.

Here's a link to the classic Archimedes elite ship chart:
http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Elite/arch/ArcCards.jpg

Wow the Archimedes i remember that machine,it was a 32bit RISC based computer if my memory is correct, It reminds me very much of the way the apple Mac is today, Big, Powerful, But hardly anygames on it.

I thought the only game that existed on that was Zarch/Virus which was another Braben game.

Yeah Archimedes definitely looks the best from the 1984 version by along way.

I do hope that They add even more ships this time around and make its so the big ships with big shields can still be killed instead of almost being invincible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom