• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Soldato
If you have an Asus bios, doesn't that mean you can use Asus GPU tweak?

I thought Asus GPU tweak gave pretty free control over Core voltage and clock with much higher limits than AB.

What is PT3?

Associate
If you have an Asus bios, doesn't that mean you can use Asus GPU tweak?

I thought Asus GPU tweak gave pretty free control over Core voltage and clock with much higher limits than AB.

What is PT3?

With GPU tweak, it will push to 1.4 volts, but with the cards Vdroop it hits about 1.299 volts.

You can get 3 different Asus bios', Asus stock bios, PT1 and PT3. All have different settings.

Stock: Asus bios limited to 1.4v with Vdroop.
PT1: The standard bios with no limits (2 volts max) and has Vdroop.
PT3: The same as PT1 but without Vdroop.

PT3 is more risky as you will give the card more volts than you ask it to but on the other hand you can get a true 1.4v's running into the card and get anything up to and over 1300mhz on the GPU.

With PT1 + PT3 you can slide up to 2v's with a custom Asus GPU tweak.

Soldato
Anyone's getting blackscreen problem (with overclocking)? I am guessing it's something to do with the memory being clocked too high, but I just had my first blackscreen even with the memory clock at just 1500MHz today.

Also, what application I need to check what memory I got for my card to see if my card got Hynix or the other one that's crapper?

Associate
Anyone's getting blackscreen problem (with overclocking)? I am guessing it's something to do with the memory being clocked too high, but I just had my first blackscreen even with the memory clock at just 1500MHz today.

Also, what application I need to check what memory I got for my card to see if my card got Hynix or the other one that's crapper?

I do get a black screen if i overclock to much and dont give it enough voltage or have the fan high enough for me its these probloems. I can get the memory up to 6400 if i set the voltage to max in GPU tweak and fan to max as well.

The why to check the memory is to download the memoryinfo1005 application its called something like that but i dont have a link to it sorry dude. But i think the Hynix and elpida are not much different on the cards seems like both seems to overclock quite well not sure if the hynix maybe does not black screen as i have the other one and i think it might be a difference in timings etc but not sure.

hope that helps dude.

Soldato
I do get a black screen if i overclock to much and dont give it enough voltage or have the fan high enough for me its these probloems. I can get the memory up to 6400 if i set the voltage to max in GPU tweak and fan to max as well.

The why to check the memory is to download the memoryinfo1005 application its called something like that but i dont have a link to it sorry dude. But i think the Hynix and elpida are not much different on the cards seems like both seems to overclock quite well not sure if the hynix maybe does not black screen as i have the other one and i think it might be a difference in timings etc but not sure.

hope that helps dude.
Yea the info is certainly welcomed. Cheers.

Will have a look at the memoryinfo1005 tonight when I get home from work.

Associate
I have mine running under water @ 1210 / 5300 - I get black screen crashes in BF4 and FFXIV anywhere between 30 seconds - 5 mins into any intensive game if I put the memory above 5300.

Running the Asus Bios on my Sapphire 290x (Elpida Memory) - GPU Tweak @ 1.375 / 150%

Temps max out at 56oC now that my water temperature has normalised after refilling from installing the card into loop.

Associate
I have decided to get the EVGA 780TI ACX. I love my 290x but as soon as you OC it black Screen.. Its really annoying me. If you leave it below 1055 its fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have mine running under water @ 1210 / 5300 - I get black screen crashes in BF4 and FFXIV anywhere between 30 seconds - 5 mins into any intensive game if I put the memory above 5300.

Running the Asus Bios on my Sapphire 290x (Elpida Memory) - GPU Tweak @ 1.375 / 150%

Temps max out at 56oC now that my water temperature has normalised after refilling from installing the card into loop.
Looks like Elpida are really crap as people say it is...

Soldato
When is the ASUS DirectCU II version of the 290x due? It's been a while since the last news...
Most likely it won't be arrive till after the new year. According to Gibbo, even custom cards were launched right before Christmas, the chances are it would only be available in Asia areas...adding time of international slow shipment of stocks, they won't arrive in UK till beginning of 2014 at least.

Soldato
I have decided to get the EVGA 780TI ACX. I love my 290x but as soon as you OC it black Screen.. Its really annoying me. If you leave it below 1055 its fine.

Snip.

I suggest you edit the part of your comment I've snipped, not allowed to sell/trade/etc outside of the MM and you don't have access to it due to your lack of posts.

Associate
http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/fire+strike+3dmark+score+extreme+preset/version+1.1

This is with a light OC of 1200/1550. I can still OC them to 1275/1650.

So Water 290x = LN2 Titan or GTX 780ti

3dmarkHOF_zpsce930367.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
If 8Pack benched 4 780Ti's under L2N wouldn't he take the 1st spot :p?

Probably not if he benches 290x too under LN2 :cool:

Hawaii > GK110 ... when LN2 is used (I'm almost 100% sure of that)

http://rog.asus.com/268622013/overc...dmark-11-record-with-quad-r9-290x-crossfirex/

With a new Rampage IV Black Edition pushing the Intel Core i7 4970X to 6GHz and DDR3 to 2,666MHz, while packing four new R9 290X graphics cards in CrossFireX at 1,435MHz core, 1650MHz (6,600MHz effective) memory, Russian overclocker Smoke, smashed the 3DMark 11 Performance record by nearly 2,000 points to 41,531. Click the link below for more details.

Permabanned
Well this proves i got worst clocking 290x around here like.
Even with max volts in gpu tweak i get artefacts at 1200mhz even tho my ASIC quality is 79%

On other hand Elpida memory is ok i had them stable up to 6500 but THERE IS NO POINT pass 1500 it just does not give any extra performance..

ATM i am on 1.4 1170/1500 thats maximum stable clock without artefacts with gpu temperature up to 52c

Other thing i noticed is that voltage is all over the place... I wish i could force lock it at 1.3 cause most of the time gpuz says i am at 1.250.
Well waiting for TRIXX or some other custom bios.

Back
Top Bottom