• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Suspended
Is there any point of getting the K over the non-K version? I'm asking as a 4.4Ghz overclock/boost on the non-K is actually pretty impressive, anyone got their K version to 5Ghz or more yet?

Soldato
Is there any point of getting the K over the non-K version? I'm asking as a 4.4Ghz overclock/boost on the non-K is actually pretty impressive, anyone got their K version to 5Ghz or more yet?

Non K is only 4Ghz boost.
I've had mine booted @5ghz, but wont pass anything :(

Not tweaked anything though, but i'm sure 5Ghz will be passable with some TLC.

Soldato
What I will say is this... there is absolutely no difference in the "next gen" TIM. As I said, 4770K and 4790K @4.4Ghz using exact same vcore and all cores hit exact same temps.

Whatever they have done to improve the overclocking and max frequencies, it has absolutely nothing to do with the TIM they have used, certainly with my 2 chips.

(of course it could be that I had a cool running 4770K and a warm running 4790K)

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
TIM is the same we delidded some in Taiwan. The major change is in the power delivery which for me has made no difference to overclocking. Infact my 4770K are better. Maybe average is higher on 4790K but I dont do average.

Associate
Am I the only person who is a little irritated to see that these "brand new devils Canyon 2014" CPUs all have batch codes indicating they were made in 2013?

Associate
true but it was overhyped imo,5ghz on air is a big ask

you could return it maybe and try and get a 2014 batch?

I wouldnt have thought ocuk would have any 2014 batches in to be fair, they've sold out on the 100pc I think Gibbo said they had in 4790Ks.

they were for most of them :p

I think this was for early batches, maybe later 4790K batches will fair better.

Back
Top Bottom