BenQ XL2730Z Freesync Owners Thread

Associate
no but I wasn't looking for it i will check tonight I have to give it back tomorrow. :(

I've never noticed ghosting on any monitor i've owned

Nice review bud, if you could update us on the ghosting with freesync off and on that would be awesome, very intrigued to hear your thoughts :)

Associate
I have disabled 1 of 290x in CCC restarted pc and playing Bf4 i see no ghosting with Freesync on Blur reduction is off all the time for me.

As i run both cards all the time im not that bothered at the mo, i still think this screen is great .:D

Associate
hi, i wonder could the freesync range be updated so we get like the same as g-sync, i noticed the LG 34UM67 range is 48hrz-75hrz i guess the monitor would need firmware update. im not sure if i would get this monitor since i think i want to got 4k, but with 4k your more often gonna be near 30-40fps.

:)

Soldato
Nice review bud, if you could update us on the ghosting with freesync off and on that would be awesome, very intrigued to hear your thoughts :)

can confirm ghosting with freesync on and off. there is a trail following the the alien quite noticable when you run blur busters

blur busters need to update software to make sure the 30z is being represented properly but yes I can see it. I haven't noticed it games however.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi melmac this is for you! I just upgraded from the Samsung 27A950D which I think is the 27 inch 1080p equivalent of the monitor you currently have (23A700D?)

I have to say the monitor is a massive improvement over the older samsung, taking into account the pixel density is higher it was always going to look nicer in some way.

Despite this the colour reproduction is also much nicer! (than the older TN samsung 120hz) I also use a Samsung S27D85K PLS LED (2nd monitor, IPS? kinda) and I have to say the BenQ is certainly on-par with it! obviously the PLS Samsung has a much broader range of colours it can show but I do not think the BenQ is lacking in its delivery!

the Black Equalizer is an amazing feature to gain an advantage in dark areas but I almost always have it turned off unless things are ultra serious, which they never are! I like the games to look as intended in terms of dark and light areas.

I thought the factory calibration on the BenQ was a bit nasty and I'm all about the FreeSync 1ms G2G minimal response time, low mouse input latency etc for competitive play so I tweaked the picture until I finished with the following settings:

Black Equalizer: 0
Blur Reduction: OFF
Picture Mode: Gamer 3

Game Settings:

Colour Vibrance: 10
Low Blue Light: 0
Instant Mode: ON
Auto Game Mode: OFF

Picture:

Brightness: 50
Contrast: 50
Sharpness: 7
Gamma: 4
Colour Temperature: Normal
AMA: High
Dynamic Contrast: 0

Resolution Notice: OFF

Using DisplayPort as the Input with 144hz enabled and FreeSync: ON !

The FreeSync is a game-changer for me! just the way the images are delivered fluidly and unbroken really makes it so easy to follow whats happening on screen, especially any fast moving game rendered cutscene (Dying Light?) its so much nicer!

Even at FPS identical to what I had on the old Samsung below 120hz appear to be of a higher FPS and smoother / more consistant!

The S27A950D really did have a fair amount of blur when panning horizontally/vertically fast...

With the BenQ as for all comments about motion blur, personally I dont notice it if there is any or anything ... I'm sure maybe if you ran that little UFO test you will get some but when playing all these games its never a thought that crosses my mind.

If you bothered to read my nonsense, tks! :)

my 2 cents!

Associate
What annoys me is no matter how many times I watch YouTube videos from members on this forum and of other YouTube members, I cannot seem to see ghosting in my games.

This is a good thing but also a bad thing as I could potentially have a monitor with issues and I would never know :S

Soldato

Thank you very much Flanos. A great review, and no nonsense at all!!

So you don't notice any of the ghosting at all? That's great. Maybe some monitors have ghosting and others don't.

And this really was a perfect review for me to read as you are switching from the same monitor as I have. I really like the SA700D but I have it for a while now and want to move up to at least 1440p resolution.

Your review has nearly made my mind for me :)

Soldato
Thank you very much Flanos. A great review, and no nonsense at all!!

So you don't notice any of the ghosting at all? That's great. Maybe some monitors have ghosting and others don't.

And this really was a perfect review for me to read as you are switching from the same monitor as I have. I really like the SA700D but I have it for a while now and want to move up to at least 1440p resolution.

Your review has nearly made my mind for me :)

All units will behave very similarly when it comes to responsiveness. Panels of the same type do not vary significantly in that respect and the monitors themselves are all 'tuned' in the same way by BenQ. It is simply that some users aren't as sensitive to trailing/ghosting or motion blur as others.

Associate
Meh :/ been waiting for the AMD equivalent to the Swift now for a while. Freesync seems just worse that GSync though.

I have got to say I've been with AMD now since my 5870s (7970s and now have 290s), and I think it's gonna be the last generation I invest into AMD. Sure the 290s aren't bad and I'm sure the 390s will be good too. It just seems that Nvidia are doing things better.

I see little to zero reason staying with AMD recently. Shame.

Soldato
Meh :/ been waiting for the AMD equivalent to the Swift now for a while. Freesync seems just worse that GSync though.

I have got to say I've been with AMD now since my 5870s (7970s and now have 290s), and I think it's gonna be the last generation I invest into AMD. Sure the 290s aren't bad and I'm sure the 390s will be good too. It just seems that Nvidia are doing things better.

I see little to zero reason staying with AMD recently. Shame.

Worst in what way??

If you mean the Ghosting on BenQ that is the panel and not FreeSync it happens with or without Freesync..

If you want to start looking at numbers you be happy to know Freesync has better performance and more user features, Like allowing you to go over the refresh rate.

FreeSync
http://www.pcper.com/files/imagecache/article_max_width/review/2015-03-19/perftable1.jpg

Gsync
http://www.pcper.com/files/imagecache/article_max_width/review/2015-03-19/perftable2.jpg

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displa...hnical-Discussion/Inside-and-Outside-VRR-Wind

Keep in mind all this Ghosting talk isn't a AMD Fault!

Last edited:
Associate
Hm, ok, however don't a few others panels (of the limited available freesync enabled) also have ghosting issues? Or is it just limited to this BenQ?

Associate
On the desktop if you wave the mouse around I can see the black outline of the white pointer fade and "ghost" as it moves across the screen. I noticed this right after selecting 144hz for the first time, but any other time since then I dont even realise.

When I first got this monitor & before I had the current AMD 15.3 driver selecting 144hz caused it to strobe/flash blacks & the image sometimes white... so I set to the display to 120hz.... on this setting the "ghosting effect" is VASTLY reduced, basically not there...

So if you where to be overly concerned about experiencing ghosting this could be your solution... 144hz is a crazy high refresh rate and to expect no ghosting on an image that is replaced at that rate is probably an unrealistic expectation!!!

I understand selecting 120hz defeats the purpose of shelling out for a 144hz screen but 1440p combined with 120hz is a nice experience! if you find extremely minor and barely noticable ghosting is something you dont wish to experience then perhaps this is the solution!

I thought I was fussy!

Back
Top Bottom