Poll: Merge in turn - why does nobody get it?

Who was in the right?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Hi all. I'm getting a bit salty reading the comments and the wording in this article.

The article using phrases like "sneaky driver" and "tries to avoid the queue", and the sheer stupidity in the comments just shows how little people understand this concept. :(

Man of Honour
Don't know it annoys the **** out of me, people should get points for not using all lanes, I think that is what is needed to actually change attitudes. Anything less wouldn't work.
There's several places I know that back up and jam other junctions, so I get stuck for no reason. Where if the dip **** used both lanes as intended the junction/roundabout wouldn't grind to a halt in all other directions as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have seen similar behaviour at some long term roadworks on a dual carriageway near me. "Heroes" preventing people from using both lanes. It's incredibly annoying but letting these things hike your blood pressure is asking for trouble - sit back and laugh it off is the best way.

But yeah, Renault driver should get points or something, he could have easily caused an accident pulling out like that

Soldato
73% of people on there agreed with the idiot that caused him to have to slam the brakes on and then swerve about in front to stop him using the empty lane for its intended purpose. What ******* planet do they live on?!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Shows that people need to learn how to drive properly!

Look at the poll results:
Which driver do you agree with?
Renault driver - 72.6%!!!!!!!
Mercedes driver - 9.6%

Shocking. The first sign said 600yds didn't it? Madness.

Soldato
I've had this happen to me multiple times on the East Lancs, and it even has a big sign saying "merge in turn". Self righteous ****s who think if they're stupid enough to sit in a queue then everyone else should.

I can't believe the amount of people that think it's the Merc driver at fault, sums up the current level of driving in the country; muppets.

Soldato
OP
Highway Code said:
Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident.

Doesn't have to be signposted. Why you'd use any other method anyway is beyond me - it couldn't be a fairer system.

Soldato
I've seen people do that here when cars are using the hard shoulder to jump a queue. Don't know why that guy feels the need to block the road. If he drove down that lane instead of parking in it, traffic might go about faster.

We had 2 trucks driving side-by-side in front of us in a traffic jam on a dual carriageway just to stop people using one lane to go faster than the other. Ended up going on the grass to get around him. All the traffic in the lane he was blocking was moving fine in front of him.

Soldato
OP
Surely if you merge before you hit the single lane there wouldn't be a traffic jam.

What if there's traffic lights, busy roundabout or a combination further down the road? (Which there is in this case - Switch Island, joining two motorways and a few routes in/out of Liverpool)

Man of Honour
Surely if you merge before you hit the single lane there wouldn't be a traffic jam.

Just what. Nooo. Doesn't matter where they join you are going from two lanes to one. So que will form either way.
Shread your driving license.

What you do is create a far worse traffic jam, that affects unrelated routes.
500m que in one lane, or 250m que using two lanes.
Now if there's a roundabout 300m from the narrowing, by queuing like an idiot you've jammed the roundabout up in all directions.

Soldato
I've had this happen to me multiple times on the East Lancs, and it even has a big sign saying "merge in turn". Self righteous ****s who think if they're stupid enough to sit in a queue then everyone else should.

I can't believe the amount of people that think it's the Merc driver at fault, sums up the current level of driving in the country; muppets.

This is pretty much it. It's the mentality of "I've sat in this queue for ages, so you have to as well". Idiots. There are two lanes, they're there to be used. Not using them causes the tailback to go twice as far back.

Had this yesterday. Whole big queue of traffic in one lane, a completely empty lane next to it. I use the empty lane up to the merge-in point, because hey, why not? Nobody else was using it. Well, 5 drivers in a row crept along bumper-to-bumper just to stop me merging, one of them actually gave me the finger. What the hell? Apparently, using the road correctly makes me a bad person. Who knew?

Associate
I agree with the merc on this one. While I do try and merge into my lane in plenty of time, we don't know the situation behind. For all I know, he could have just joined the motorway and was genuinely unable to shift to the right hand lane.

Man of Honour
I agree with the merc on this one. While I do try and merge into my lane in plenty of time, we don't know the situation behind. For all I know, he could have just joined the motorway and was genuinely unable to shift to the right hand lane.

But by merging earlier - like all the other morons - he would be incorrect, and be contributing further to the already dire state of that traffic jam. The queue would be half that length if people merged properly.

This sort of thing annoys me more than I would like to admit.

:Edit: Ok Squerble, good point, fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom