• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
I think if I were to go for a 980 Ti it would have to be the EVGA SC ACX or EVGA reference. Just because i have been through 3 970's (2 MSI both had horrific ear breaking coil whine, 1 asus strix that was DOA) and 2 980's (Both Gigabyte G1's first one had horrific coil whine once again, second was fine).
Before this ordeal of switching out graphics cards endlessly, I had EVGA cards and the only problem I had was a faulty fan on my 770 ACX which they repaired within a week. No coil whine. Nothing.

Associate
How is everyone going with overclocking?

I have a reference model and was pushing +250 on the core and +400 on memory.

I thought I was all good until I actually started to play a game (Dying Light). I got a crash after about 5mins.

I started to drop back on both but was noticing that I kept hitting the 110% power limit so the clock speed kept fluctuating/dropping.

I've currently now gone with +225 on the core and nothing on the memory which gives me a stable 1402Mhz (no fluctuating).

Is it best to push the core some more until I reach the limit here? I assume if I'm hitting the power limit, it's wise to back off?

Should I push the core and leave the memory or now to try push the memory and leave the core at 225??

I'm confused!! ha ha.

Is there a way to increase the power limit passed 110? (obviously a better cooling solution would probably be needed if it was possible)

Any input appreciated!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
I will be putting mine under water tomorrow. What clocks you getting?

Still trying to figure out stable clocks. Thinks as standard, probably be around 1450.

Awesome. I've got two superclocked ACXs coming which I plan to leave at stock for now. Soon I'll put them under water when the hydrocoppers are readily available and custom loop my entire system. 1500+ will make a big difference for sure. These chips love a good overclock.

Are you going to dump the act and move to hydro copper? Sounds expensive!

Witcher with Hairworks on

Good call. Need to find something shorter though as it just took me a couple months to try and finish dragon age, due to work sucking my time up.

How is everyone going with overclocking?

I have a reference model and was pushing +250 on the core and +400 on memory.

I thought I was all good until I actually started to play a game (Dying Light). I got a crash after about 5mins.

I started to drop back on both but was noticing that I kept hitting the 110% power limit so the clock speed kept fluctuating/dropping.

I've currently now gone with +225 on the core and nothing on the memory which gives me a stable 1402Mhz (no fluctuating).

Is it best to push the core some more until I reach the limit here? I assume if I'm hitting the power limit, it's wise to back off?

Should I push the core and leave the memory or now to try push the memory and leave the core at 225??

I'm confused!! ha ha.

Is there a way to increase the power limit passed 110? (obviously a better cooling solution would probably be needed if it was possible)

Any input appreciated!!!

You will need a custom bios, and yes, better than reference cooling. There is a custom bios available on overclock.net forums.

Now if only could get back to sleep to wake at normal hour to re flash my cards...

Associate
To be honest your attitude is appalling.

Gibbo stated Around 5 units came in, that doesn't mean 5 units came in it is a rough estimate. Over the past two weeks you have been doing nothing but slating and whining.

ETA: 26/06/15

They have stated a big delivery next week. Deal with it and stop moaning.

He's got every right to whine..he ordered a £600 card that was ETA'd for the 3rd of june...was told he was first in queue BUT OH WAIT...friday comes around and apparently around 5 cards come in and didn't get his card even though staff told him he was 1st in queue

Id be ****ing ****ed if i was constantly lied to aswell

Man of Honour
OP
psyb.jpg

Much better photo than last time.

Thats why I got rid of the 980 Inno because that little fan on top makes a really annoying whine that I could hear even with my case under the desk.
Video didnt mention what RPM they were running at ? 100% ?

I was a bit afraid at the noise reports after I ordered mine but to be honest its quieter than you think. Mine is really quiet at idle and it doesnt start to get louder till it hits 50% yet I had Heaven running for an hour earlier and it maxed out at the expected 84c but the fan was still at 45%. Really really impressed with the reference cooler. Boosts to 1189Mhz too not bad when its only supposed to do 1076Mhz.

16k3xc2.jpg

Welcome and TROH updated.:)

The Roll of Honour.

Make Reference, varkanoid, Link, Date 13/06/2015
Make EVGA SC ACX, JunglistE, Link, Date 13/06/2015
Make Reference, Gripen90, Link, Date 12/06/2015
Make Reference, Strife212, Link, Date 11/06/2015
Make Reference, saintdefender, Link, Date 11/06/2015
Make Reference, crazy8s, Link, Date 10/06/2015
Make Reference, Tom Martow, Link, Date 10/06/2015
Make Reference, rpggamesplayer, Link, Date 10/06/2015
Make Reference, toon_mad, Link, Date 10/06/2015
Make Reference, jjgreenwood, Link, Date 10/06/2015
Make Reference, Razor Time, Link, Date 10/06/2015
Make Reference, SeeNoWeevil, Link, Date 10/06/2015
Make Reference, RyanF, Link, Date 09/06/2015
Make Reference, roozor, Link, Date 09/06/2015
Make EVGA SC ACX, perosus, Link, Date 09/06/2015
Make Reference, ZombieDescartes, Link, Date 09/06/2015
Make Reference, Techen, Link, Date 08/06/2015
Make Reference, Rap1D, Link, Date 06/06/2015
Make Reference, khemist, Link, Date 06/06/2015
Make EVGA SC Ref, ciggybumly, Link, Date 05/06/2015
Make EVGA SC Ref, N19h7m4r3, Link, Date 04/06/2015
Make Reference, queeg, Link, Date 04/06/2015
Make Reference, abaddon, Link, Date 03/06/2015
Make Reference, Volv, Link, Date 03/06/2015
Make Reference, Larcwide, Link, Date 02/06/2015
Make Reference, a66as, Link, Date 02/06/2015
Make Reference, Angst, Link, Date 02/06/2015
Make Reference, RichardH754, Link, Date 02/06/2015
Make Reference, Phixsator, Link, Date 01/06/2015
Make Reference, Tommy_Here, Link, Date 01/06/2015

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your 980 Ti.​

Soldato
Flashed the right bios, currently trying 1525.

Changing bios altered boost more than other bios, so initially went higher than had meant to 1587 which it didn't like much.

Even 1550 might be doable, but think will just stop with 1525 even if it stable. If it's not, think 1500 will work.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
I am now quite worried about my Gigabyte G1 purchase, I was hoping for a quiet card but that video has me rattled.

I'm going from experience. I previously had this card: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4673#ov

Which has a very similar cooler (identical really) and I have a little Lian Li case which housed it. In the living room, I would game and put that card to it's limits. And honestly, I never heard anything. It never sounded loud. Coil whine was bad, but the fan was almost silent.

So going off that, I'm taking that video with a pinch of salt.

Soldato
I'm going from experience. I previously had this card: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4673#ov

Which has a very similar cooler (identical really) and I have a little Lian Li case which housed it. In the living room, I would game and put that card to it's limits. And honestly, I never heard anything. It never sounded loud. Coil whine was bad, but the fan was almost silent.

I have also owned the windforce gigiabyte cards like the 780 and the Ti and the 980 and they all have the same cooler and to be honest the fans did not bother me so I agree with agnes

Associate

I have also owned the windforce gigiabyte cards like the 780 and the Ti and the 980 and they all have the same cooler and to be honest the fans did not bother me so I agree with agnes

Both of your comments have made me feel a lot more at ease now, I must thank you both for your prompt replies, I hope I have a similar experience to you both, I must also factor in that nobody games in silence, I suppose it's irrelevant to some degree if you can't hear the card over general game play.

Once again, I thank you.

Here's to hoping we receive our cards before/on Wednesday if you have made the same purchase.

Soldato
Both of your comments have made me feel a lot more at ease now, I must thank you both for your prompt replies, I hope I have a similar experience to you both, I must also factor in that nobody games in silence, I suppose it's irrelevant to some degree if you can't hear the card over general game play.

Once again, I thank you.

Here's to hoping we receive our cards before/on Wednesday if you have made the same purchase.

You are very welcome ,
Im buying one on Tues 16/06 when stock lands and cannot wait :)

Soldato

Once again, I thank you.

No worries bud.

If it helps, I had a reference cooled 560ti before the 780 and my god did it whine when the fan spun up.

Fingers crossed we all get our cards, and I can personally get this absolute turdblossom of a situation with OcUK behind me haha.

Back
Top Bottom