• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 390X Review

Soldato
Card actually looks pretty good from a quick glance over if the pricing is decent :)
Definately seems like a decent update of the R9 290X formula. Looking forward to seeing what the Fury will do now :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Pace of GPU development has slowed enough in recent years to make such across-the-range rebrands almost inevitable - you're not going to see new architectures on a yearly cadence. The enthusiast in us remains nonplussed because we're seeing technology from 2013 resurface in 2015 in another guise. That situation is not good for the consumer, add-in board partners or games developers. Boundaries need to be pushed at more than just the bleeding edge of performance.

Hexus didn't even do a proper review.

Caporegime
Caporegime
He may as well have said "this advert...sorry review sponsored by msi", keeps on waffling about how so much has gone into making the card.

Soldato
I really cant fathom why you wouldn't spend £40 more and get this instead:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-258-MS&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1812

Performs better, uses a lot less power, runs cooler and probably overclocks better.

yes it has 8gb of ram but that is ram you will never use unless go to 4k , but then you need 2 or 3 of these....meaning you may as well get a Fury or 980Ti.

The reviews show it matching 980 4GB at 1440p and slightly better at 4K. Though of course the 980 has more OC headroom IMHO.

These cards should have been ~£40 cheaper IMHO.

Caporegime
The reviews show it matching 980 4GB at 1440p and slightly better at 4K. Though of course the 980 has more OC headroom IMHO.

Ay? only in a few of them and even then it is only matching the 980. The only one it beats it in is Shadow of Mordor

Soldato
You get more feature support with Nvidia, vastly lower power consumption and temps and more OC headdroom.

These cards are from 2013 and here we are with prices upwards to £400, ridiculous.

Soldato
You get more feature support with Nvidia, vastly lower power consumption and temps and more OC headdroom.

These cards are from 2013 and here we are with prices upwards to £400, ridiculous.

Even more ridiculous are the prices of the 7850 i mean r7 265, no sorry r7 370's. Nvidia provide better htpc abilities on the side of the gaming too.

Soldato
Ay? only in a few of them and even then it is only matching the 980. The only one it beats it in is Shadow of Mordor

So considering it is £40 cheaper it falls right into the price/perf bracket. I am not saying it is a good card at it's price (it isn't IMHO). My point is that it is positioned correctly in price/perf, IF we compare to the current pricing scales.

Associate
390X is a huge flop, 390 on the other hand, not bad at all. £100 less for almost the same performance and STILL 8GB VRAM.

I am considering getting 2 390's and playing at 4K.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So considering it is £40 cheaper it falls right into the price/perf bracket. I am not saying it is a good card at it's price (it isn't IMHO). My point is that it is positioned correctly in price/perf, IF we compare to the current pricing scales.

No it isn't. You can get a non reference 980 for £360 from OCUK right now which is basically the same price as the non reference 390x's.

The 980 is faster, uses a lot less power, runs cooler and is likely to have more OC headroom.

Why would you buy a 390x?

Back
Top Bottom