• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
now that I have my new graphics card settled in and running well...my eye is turning to a nice 4k Monitor...how strange is it though that we still don't have 4k monitors with HDMI2.0 and IPS w/G-Sync...

There are some gorgeous monitors out there but still seem very much like "last" generation stuff...going by the number of out of stocks in the 4k Monitor section at OCUK, there will be some new monitors coming soon.

How about you guys? What would finally make you move to 4K, if you haven't already? And what would you be willing to pay for a decent one?

Soldato
now that I have my new graphics card settled in and running well...my eye is turning to a nice 4k Monitor...how strange is it though that we still don't have 4k monitors with HDMI2.0 and IPS w/G-Sync...

There are some gorgeous monitors out there but still seem very much like "last" generation stuff...going by the number of out of stocks in the 4k Monitor section at OCUK, there will be some new monitors coming soon.

How about you guys? What would finally make you move to 4K, if you haven't already? And what would you be willing to pay for a decent one?

When I find a single card that can run my Swift at 144Hz consistently, I'll consider 4K.

Soldato

It would need to be 120hz for me to consider, having had or seen 4K@60 on both TN and IPS I wouldn't bother... Oled sounds interesting if they can get the brightness up and what they say about pixel transitions being near instant is true

Associate
what IPS 4K monitor did you go to for £450? Are you happy with the build quality and is it working well with your 980ti?

I went with an Acer B276HK. It's working well with my 980Ti, I can consistently get 60 FPS on titles, maybe a bit lower if I'd rather it look pretty. The only problem with this monitor is the fact there's a huge issue with the speakers, there's a slight buzzing that you can fix by turning the speakers on and off again. It's tedious to do every time you power on the computer and/or turn on the monitor.

Otherwise, it's a very good monitor. It has a stable stand and a good build quality.

Soldato
I went for an IPS 4K panel over G-Sync (only wanted to spend around £450), does it really make that much of a difference?

I recently had a month of no G-Sync and it was a slight shock to the system. It makes a massive difference, to the point where you instant know when it's not there. Everything feels jittery and plain wrong. Like you you're suddenly playing at 30fps and dipping below.

Soldato
I went with an Acer B276HK. It's working well with my 980Ti, I can consistently get 60 FPS on titles, maybe a bit lower if I'd rather it look pretty. The only problem with this monitor is the fact there's a huge issue with the speakers, there's a slight buzzing that you can fix by turning the speakers on and off again. It's tedious to do every time you power on the computer and/or turn on the monitor.

Otherwise, it's a very good monitor. It has a stable stand and a good build quality.

You're using monitor speakers? Get yourself some proper ones ;)

Soldato
What's the TLDR summary?

It's weird very weird. Depends entirely on use case and your FPS range per game.

At High FPS, at low 200's FreeSync is better with V-Sync off, and G-Sync with it on.

At the so called sweet spot aka around 45 FPS, things get weird. G-Sync does even worse, and FreeSync is little bit better when you use V-Sync as well.

92kbGpC.jpg

hsHJRKQ.jpg

SOSD6UT.jpg

Zsf0N2h.jpg

PHdn09f.jpg

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Can't watch the vid as I'm at work, so had to decipher what the charts were saying. My brain hurts.

Surely the low 200fps results are moot if they're comparing gsync and freesync.

Soldato
Can't watch the vid as I'm at work, so had to decipher what the charts were saying. My brain hurts.

Surely the low 200fps results are moot if they're comparing gsync and freesync.

On these monitors? Yes, but FreeSync claims it can support 1-244hz just depends on monitor manufactures, and at FPS competitive play higher FPS is wanted because it reduces input delay as seen in the results.

In for those results what's being shown is the Scalers in the FreeSync monitor offers lower input delay than the G-Sync Module

Associate
20150713_113248.jpg

Well that's me back on the green team after a decade with ATI/AMD. My 7970's served me like champs up until this year. Can't say I'll be missing crossfire though.

Edit - How do you post images here?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom