*** Phanteks EVOLV Owners Thread ***

Soldato
4) The most annoying bit....the HDD mount located at the bottom of the case should be included with the case! I had to buy the optional accessory. If you mount a 360 rad in the front you can't mount a HDD anywhere without this additional mount. For a case designed for water cooling in mind this should have been included.

iZP3h6I.png

So there is no double HDD mount included for underneath? Yeah kinda needed that, don't recall reading anywhere that it was an optional extra. They don't seem to have a double drive available on OCUK either, guess I'm gonna have to find a supplier before I get the case.

Oh and that's a really nice build. I'm thinking red and black myself been thinking of those fans but with the red rings.

Last edited:
Soldato
One thing I would like is being able to mount the PSU to a plate and then slide it in from the rear as its a paid in the MATX version.

If i want to remove the PSU in my system now I have to take the whole loop apart inc mobo etc and remove the rads and the pump before I can get it out.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway in other news..

Had a new windowed side panel for a spare along with a replacement PWM controller arrive today.

The PWM controller is abit different and actually seems to work. My rear exhaust fan will actually stop unless temps rise.

mk1 on the left and new mk2 on the right. Notice the larger copper coil.

DSC_0058%202.jpg

DSC_0059%201.jpg

Also has a extra bit on the right.

DSC_0057%202.jpg

Overall looks better quality and actually seems to work. GJ Phanteks.

Last edited:
Associate
One thing I would like is being able to mount the PSU to a plate and then slide it in from the rear as its a paid in the MATX version.

If i want to remove the PSU in my system now I have to take the whole loop apart inc mobo etc and remove the rads and the pump before I can get it out.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway in other news..

Had a new windowed side panel for a spare along with a replacement PWM controller arrive today.

The PWM controller is abit different and actually seems to work. My rear exhaust fan will actually stop unless temps rise.

m

Yes a PSU plate would be useful, Lian used them many years ago great idea.
It's a bit cramped to even get the PSU in from the side without scratches, had to wrap it in a duster :)

Hopefully the revised Fan Hubs will work, how long did it take to get shipped ?

How are the hinges on your side panels, mine are a bit loose and won't tighten could fit washers, but I'm dubious they may be stripped threads like some other screws in the case, must rattle them on with an air gun.

Soldato
Yes a PSU plate would be useful, Lian used them many years ago great idea.
It's a bit cramped to even get the PSU in from the side without scratches, had to wrap it in a duster :)

Hopefully the revised Fan Hubs will work, how long did it take to get shipped ?

How are the hinges on your side panels, mine are a bit loose and won't tighten could fit washers, but I'm dubious they may be stripped threads like some other screws in the case, must rattle them on with an air gun.

It took a few days to dispatch but once it did it was here within 48 hours but it was from the Netherlands and Germany is only next door. Probably a bit longer to the UK.

Where are your side panels loose? This one seems no different to my other one that has been sent away for modding. I feel they could use slightly thicker padding around the edge of the case to stop any unwanted rattles from vibration in the system.

The controller is reducing the fans to under 800rpm which means the only noise from the system now is my pump. Ordered some EK Vardars 1850rpm to replace my Eloops so hopefully the controller works ok on them also.

Associate
It took a few days to dispatch but once it did it was here within 48 hours but it was from the Netherlands and Germany is only next door. Probably a bit longer to the UK.

Where are your side panels loose? This one seems no different to my other one that has been sent away for modding. I feel they could use slightly thicker padding around the edge of the case to stop any unwanted rattles from vibration in the system.

The controller is reducing the fans to under 800rpm which means the only noise from the system now is my pump. Ordered some EK Vardars 1850rpm to replace my Eloops so hopefully the controller works ok on them also.

It's the hinges on the side panels, they won't tighten up, seem to be as far in as they can go, but not quite tight enough.

Tried the EK Darth Varders :) but they are not as good as Akasa Apaches. less pressure and higher RPM, in fact I've tried lots of fan brands over the years and these seem best so far. Try to stick with 800 / 900 RPM myself.

Soldato
Themorningstar - that double HDD cage is included with the case but can't be used if fitting a 360 rad up front.

The additional mount is this one in the link and enables you to fit you HDD drive next to the PSU under the shroud.

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-HDDKT.html

:)

Awesome, cheers for clarifying that.

BTW guys, some of the other evolve cases will fit a double SSD mount on the rear without clearance issues with the side panel, that should mean if the mounts are of the same placements as they are for the 3.5" mounts, you could mount 3.5" HDDs on the back.

If they are not compatible it would be nice if Phanteks have a look at this as that's a pretty attractive option IMO, if the fan controler is elevated and the mounts spaced out more, looks to me that you could place 2 3.5 HDDS there so long as the clearance is the same as the other cases. looks like you could also get a few down the back of the erm.. "HDD cage" or support or whatever you call the flat panel that you mount the HDD supports on from the windowed side.

Don't mind my nitpicking Phanteks, this is one of the most attractive case I've seen over the past decade :D :p

Associate
OP
I did a test build this morning, I'm not happy with the small gap at the bottom for your motherboard cabling (power+hdd+usb) The cutouts need to be deeper into the case I just barely squeezed my usb connector for front panel through the gap without damaging nearby pins on the MB.
I think the case could do with being a bit taller for sure just to give more space around the MB, particularly at the bottom.

USB connector on the left is tight fit through the gap, had to force down the psu cover.

kbA4OiW.jpg

Some shot from my test build, just wanted to get a feel for the case.

r5wdNRy.jpg
r65pSwj.jpg
0QajuiD.jpg
VKMaUAS.jpg
HA7EU5D.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Might be easier to use the left side cutout for the USB, or just use the rear M/Board ports on a external desk hub, first thing I do on any case is remove the built in ports.

I really don't think the case was thought out for EATX boards, as can be seen when fitting them. The 24 Pin cable slot is miles out it's higher than needed for any boards I've seen fitted.

Associate
Probably a good idea to put the connector through the hole before fitting the motherboard. Personally I prefer the smaller holes so they cant be seen as well.

Makes no difference, the cutout is in the wrong position to line up with the
cables, and it's even worse on an EVGA Board with right angle connectors, have to feed the 24 Pin via the H/Drive cutout.

Soldato
Im trying to say the hole is bigger before the mobo is fitted I thought so would be easier to feed the large USB3 plug through.

I think the USB3 mobo plug could be designed better as its big, inflexible and hard to route. I removed the USB and front audio from my Evolv due to not being able to get it routed neatly in the system. The way the ATX version is designed though looks different.

Associate
Im trying to say the hole is bigger before the mobo is fitted I thought so would be easier to feed the large USB3 plug through.

I think the USB3 mobo plug could be designed better as its big, inflexible and hard to route. I removed the USB and front audio from my Evolv due to not being able to get it routed neatly in the system. The way the ATX version is designed though looks different.

We are on different cables here, I was talking about the 24 Pin, I don't use the case USB ports.

Associate
Sorry mate thought I was replying to Colin. Agree with you the 24 pin hole is in the wrong place for me also. Could run the full top to bottom for mATX boards in the mATX case.

Yes the case has quite a few tweaks that need sorted, perhaps there will be a
Rev 2 version with the bugs sorted out.

I'd probably buy it :)

Soldato
I built EVOLV ATX today, what a pleasure it is to work with. I'm really pleased with it, so much better than the Corsair 330R. My build looks really clean, I only have the one SSD in, tempted to move my storage drives to my NAS so I don't have to add any more cables. Also because I have a low end fanless graphics card it doesn't need any extra power connections.

My build spec

Phanteks EVOLV ATX
MSI Z170A-PC Mate
i5-6600k
Corsair DDR4-3000 8Gb
Sapphire R7 250 fanless
SuperFlower Leadex Gold 550w

Back
Top Bottom