*** Sky Q Thread ***

Caporegime
It does highlight how utterly incompetent Virgin Media have been with their TV platform though, considering they have a network capable of delivering 120Mbps+ into people's homes. They still insist on the DVR being in your house instead of on a pool of storage they control centrally, and have done the barest minimum in terms of multi-room viewing. They could have sewn up the multi-room user experience from a technical perspective as soon as they jumped on the TiVo platform, but nope.

Associate
How is it doing record 4 watch 1 from two LNB inputs? It can't assume your choice of 5 is only split across two bands/polarizations.
...it wont, it will download from internet in the background to the box

EDIT a pre req will be sky fibre to achieve this

Caporegime
Where have you got that from? The OP with the info from Sky's website even says watch 5 different channels and record 4.

Associate
Looking at the images it still has only two dish connectors unless I missing something, so I wonder how they're managing to split the signal into 5 for Sky Q silver? I hope this doesn't mean further compression of image quality.

It uses a wideband lnb similar to idea to a communal system

Caporegime
Sky Q that blends live and on-demand TV

do they say it will all be sat based?

It just seemed like you were guessing. filter2000 has an answer that it's using a wideband LNB, so 'engineer' install as opposed to self-install. The barriers to adopting multi-room are massively reduced now though.

Associate
Not going to worry about how good/bad it is until I've seen the cost. One thing I would want to know is how it would work in terms of the current Sky Go offering. At the moment my mum has an XBox, which allows her to watch Sky at her home, on my account.

Posted from Overclockers.co.uk App for Android

V F

V F

Soldato
It just seemed like you were guessing. filter2000 has an answer that it's using a wideband LNB, so 'engineer' install as opposed to self-install. The barriers to adopting multi-room are massively reduced now though.

Maybe... but at what cost?

Caporegime
I'm going to assume that with everything integrated into a Wi-Fi network that Sky Go is enabled on devices by them "checking in" periodically on that network.

Soldato
Sky Q does look pretty good :cool: But i suspect the costs will, initially, be pretty ridiculous especially for the full monty, ie - Sky Q Silver box etc.

They still insist on the DVR being in your house instead of on a pool of storage they control centrally....

How do you envision that working?

Maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree but in my head, i don't see how you could achieve that without introducing (more) P2P connections which would in turn increase load on the network :confused:

Similarly, i can't see how you could easily move DVR functionality away from homes as you either (essentially) move the DVR/STB to a hubsite/hubend, which sounds a little pointless to me; or, VM changes to an on-demand type service for DVR functionality but then surely they'd have to store every programme broadcasted which i imagine would be a world of hurt and no doubt stupidly costly :confused:

I don't doubt they'll move to IPTV but it's easier and simpler to have the DVR portion within the STB/home.

Back
Top Bottom