Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Has anyone managed to get a Gen8 G1610T to run with 32GB of RAM? If not, what are peoples suggestions for RAM?

Also thinking of upgrading the CPU to something with a bit more poke. What's the best CPU that will work with it?

Quite a bit of info on CPU upgrades over here

I think I did read that someone had managed to get 32Gb of RAM running, but no idea which sticks were used.

Thinking of taking the plunge on a gen8 seeing as there won't be a gen9 version.

Associate
Quite a bit of info on CPU upgrades over here

I think I did read that someone had managed to get 32Gb of RAM running, but no idea which sticks were used.

Thinking of taking the plunge on a gen8 seeing as there won't be a gen9 version.

Thanks :) I was worried I wouldn't get a reply. That forum seems to have lots of info on it, very useful.

Associate
In N56L (same chipset as the N40, just a quicker CPU) I was just rocking some grey Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333Mhz memory. It doesnt need to be ECC if you're not reusing the existing stick.

I ran 8Gb in mine for ESXi, until I picked up someone elses 16GB kit from the MM. I believe with 16Gb the server is more picky on what works and what doesnt. I only upgraded as I had upgrade-itch. I didn't actually need more than 8GB.

Associate
I just upgraded my n40 with my old 8gb I had from my main pc when I upgraded.
I'm glad I did because before with utorrent it would constantly crash but since upgrading no crashing or freezing

Associate
Do you run utorrent on the server or the pc?
Is windows 7 easy to install as my trial of server has run out and I have a license Kerry spare. Do I need to download the drives for the server onto a seperate usb disc?

I run utorrent on the server.
I run server 2012.

I can't remember how I set it up as it was a couple of years ago

Soldato
Is windows 7 easy to install as my trial of server has run out and I have a license Kerry spare. Do I need to download the drives for the server onto a seperate usb disc?

As long as VID folder is visible Win 7 will install as this provides most drivers. Once installed, in device driver you will find yellow ! marks. You will need to find USB3, LAN and System drivers from HP website.

You can download directly once Win 7 installed and run as exe files.

Intelligent Provisioning install only works with Server 2012 and 2008

Mel

Last edited:

maj

maj

Soldato
What are you fellow gen8 users using yours for? Hoping to finally get mine set up with Server 2012 over the weekend. Tempted to sell two of the hard drives I bought for this. Think 12TB is just too much for what I'll be using them for. Since I can't return them despite not having been used I need to decide pretty quickly before I configure RAID and save data onto them. Other than plex it'll just be used as a NAS for now I think.

Soldato
Between at home and work - one running as a backup target (Server 2012 R2 Std)

Another acts as the CCTV DVR (Server 2012 Essentials)

Another runs monitoring and a few other bits and bobs (Server 2012 R2)

And one more runs as an offsite DR machine - had to upgrade the processor but it can actually handle quite a lot.

Great little machines.

Soldato
Between at home and work - one running as a backup target (Server 2012 R2 Std)

Another acts as the CCTV DVR (Server 2012 Essentials)

Another runs monitoring and a few other bits and bobs (Server 2012 R2)

And one more runs as an offsite DR machine - had to upgrade the processor but it can actually handle quite a lot.

Great little machines.

Which CPU did you upgrade to?

GDL

GDL

Associate
My 2nd just arrived.
Dropped the old I3 in and added 16Gb ram and she's ready for ESXI 6 on Monday when the SSD's arrive.

Back
Top Bottom