Preparing for Fatherhood

Soldato
My daughter is 11 weeks now. We have had t buy things on a small budget.

For the pram I purchased a Hauck that included the pram, moses basket and car seat.

If you haven't already thought about bottles, go for Dr Brown. My daughter had been using NUK and Tommee Tippee anti colic bottles when she was born. She ended up with colic but since we have changed to Dr Brown, she seems to be doing fine on her own.

I'd recommend buying a seat for the bath (if you're using the bathtub and not buying a baby bath).

Currently we are using Pampers for nappies, because it's all they seem to sell in my local shop. We've used Aldi and Sainbury's nappies also and they too was fine.

Our wipes are pampers baby sensitive or something along those lines.

Also make sure to buy a seat they can sit in when not sleeping / feeding / bonding.

Soldato
Pram - go for the lightest stroller you can find. Sure they don't look like the rolls Royce of prams but they are infinitely more practical.

Oh get the Mrs a nursing cushion if she plans to breast feed. Be supportive regardless of your views on what's best.

Take one day at a time. Buy things as you need them and not in anticipation.

Soldato
Nappies : Another here for aldi in the day and Pampers at night.

Pram: Lots of choice

Car seat: Iso-fix a must and for the seat itself, lots of xhoice. Though that said, why save money on an item that could be life or death? (We went Maxi Cosi)

Wipes: Aldi after initial month of cotton wool and water

Soldato
Nappies : Another here for aldi in the day and Pampers at night.

Pram: Lots of choice

Car seat: Iso-fix a must and for the seat itself, lots of xhoice. Though that said, why save money on an item that could be life or death? (We went Maxi Cosi)

Wipes: Aldi after initial month of cotton wool and water

Screw cotton wool and water. Water wipes. Pricey but awesome.

Tea Drinker
Don
Porridge
Teetha
Calpol
Calprofen
A small fan
A wet towel

A pair of genitals to suck it up and not buy all the junk you don't need but are constantly told you need it or you're bad parents

Don
The only advice I have is that no, despite what a lot of people peddle, iso-fix is NOT a necessity. It's there to prevent idiots who can't fit a belt seat properly from doing it wrong and putting their child in danger. A properly fitted belt-retained seat is as good as an iso-fix base.

We use a Maxi-cosi Axiss which is bloody fantastic. Being able to rotate the seat to get the little one in is a god-send. THis one if for kids who are 9 months+ though.

Pram, we had a travel system from Graco. It did us well and included the car seat which detached from the fitted base and then attached to the pram. It did us well until Tadeusz grew out of it. We now use a Baby Jogger which has also been great.

Nappies, Pampers all the way. They just seem to hold leaks in better and we tried them all.

Stock up on wet-wipes. You will be using A LOT of them.

Don't go mad on clothes as EVERYONE you know will buy you things and you will end up with so much that the baby will grow out of it all before you've even used all of it once.

Man of Honour
Serious answer...

Don't buy a big pram. Make sure it fits in your car boot and is ready to manoeuvre.

Get a medium sized plastic box to put emergency nappies, skin cream, baby wipes, etc. Put this by their bed/cot or move it around the house with you. Very useful when you need it.

Soldato
Another for Aldi nappies for daytimes, and Pampers for night times :)

Serious advice

Pram - Get an Uppababy Vista unless you live in London it is simply awesome and despite being expensive worth every single penny.

Car Seat - Get a Maxi Cosi and get isofix! Loads of people will tell you it's not worth it as it's so quick and easy to strap the seat in with the belt well they are wrong and just wish they had got isofix!

This. The Vista is a great piece of kit.

Soldato
The only advice I have is that no, despite what a lot of people peddle, iso-fix is NOT a necessity. It's there to prevent idiots who can't fit a belt seat properly from doing it wrong and putting their child in danger. A properly fitted belt-retained seat is as good as an iso-fix base.

Totally agree with this, we bought an ISOfix base for our Maxi Cosi and it was pointless as the seat stayed in there most of the time anyway. Moved to belt seats and as Rilot says unless you are a numpty they are perfect, take up less space and damage your seats less. The heavy Maxi Cosi ISOfix base marks never came out of the leather in my old car!

Soldato
Don't bother with a cot if you travel a bit. Especially one with a drop side. I ended up putting a screw through the cot to stop the kids kicking it a causing it to rattle.

Buy the best travel cot you can get with a plush mattress and use it permanently wherever you go the kid gets to sleep in the bed it's used to.

But a blanket under the isofix base to stop it marking the seat.

Soldato
Congrats.

You need to buy match sticks. Very important as you will need then to keep your eye lids open from lack of sleep! lol

I cant understand why some people say this,i never lost any sleep when my daughter was young,it was a pleasure to feed her every 4 hours :)

Associate
One thing which we found really helpful was the John Lewis Nursery Advice Service. Basically - a free 2 hour consultation where one of their nursery department staff talk you through (and more importantly shows you) all the stuff you MIGHT need and works with you to compile a list - somewhat like a wedding list service. There's no obligation to buy anything at all from them (but of course you do!;)) - but they were surprisingly competitive on most of the things we wanted.

Just a thought - and congratulations by the way! :D

Back
Top Bottom