Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Man of Honour
So this is a weird one.

I have 152Mb and a phone line totalling £47.99 a month (after the recent £2.99 price increase). My area has not automatically updated to 200Mb yet but I phoned up this morning to remove the phone line as I don’t use it since I have a Vonage service now.

VM said they cannot remove the phone line as it was applied as a dual package with the 152Mb, and since the 152Mb does not exist any more (only 150), I’d have to cancel the package and start 150Mb at £37.99.

I then quizzed some more as I wanted to have 200Mb and they said the cheapest option would be to drop to the 100Mb service with phone line at £40.99 a month, which would then instantly update to the 200Mb service.

So a nice saving a month, plus instant 200Mb whereas I’d have to wait until the end of June for the automated update to kick in for 200Mb otherwise.

I don’t understand how their package rollouts work logically since I’m not supposed to be able to get 200Mb as part of the free upgrade so soon, yet dropping to 100Mb will instantly bump it to 200Mb and save me money in the process…

Soldato
As a new customer, what's the best way to get a good deal on a Virgin bundle? I've just moved house but the landlord failed to put in a normal aerial socket. Rather than faff with an indoor aerial I am looking into changing my Plusnet BB/phone order to a Virgin package including TV.

I was going to be paying a monthly rate of £32 for Plusnet (no TV) but looking at the VM Big Easy deal that comes out at £36pm (both inc line rental). I suppose I get the TiVo with that, but it is only 50mbps compared to Plusnet's 78mbps. Hmn.

Soldato
So this is a weird one.

I have 152Mb and a phone line totalling £47.99 a month (after the recent £2.99 price increase). My area has not automatically updated to 200Mb yet but I phoned up this morning to remove the phone line as I don’t use it since I have a Vonage service now.

VM said they cannot remove the phone line as it was applied as a dual package with the 152Mb, and since the 152Mb does not exist any more (only 150), I’d have to cancel the package and start 150Mb at £37.99.

I then quizzed some more as I wanted to have 200Mb and they said the cheapest option would be to drop to the 100Mb service with phone line at £40.99 a month, which would then instantly update to the 200Mb service.

So a nice saving a month, plus instant 200Mb whereas I’d have to wait until the end of June for the automated update to kick in for 200Mb otherwise.

I don’t understand how their package rollouts work logically since I’m not supposed to be able to get 200Mb as part of the free upgrade so soon, yet dropping to 100Mb will instantly bump it to 200Mb and save me money in the process…

I'm in a similar position although I do actually use/need the phone line.

I paid for the line rental up front when it was £164 (gone up since) which works out around £13.67 a month. I then pay £22 for 200mb broadband which is a £10 discount, £3 of that is valid for six months and £7 for the next 18 months. Fairly happy with that as I appreciate I don't have as much bargaining power as someone who's also subscribing to TV services and paying more in total.

Last edited:
Soldato
Makes me laugh, the can go on a banning spree, but my past 2 months connectivity issues are ignored. I really regret upgrading to 200Mb with them. I probably average 5 hours usable service per weekend.

Associate
Does anyone have just insane levels of latency with the 200mb option??

Like ping times are decent and my speed is consistent within reason, but man the lag i get playing Rocket League or anything multiplayer is insane, in GTA im literally about 3 seconds out of sync with everything, its starting to get very annoying!

Man of Honour
Makes me laugh, the can go on a banning spree, but my past 2 months connectivity issues are ignored. I really regret upgrading to 200Mb with them. I probably average 5 hours usable service per weekend.

Does anyone have just insane levels of latency with the 200mb option??

Like ping times are decent and my speed is consistent within reason, but man the lag i get playing Rocket League or anything multiplayer is insane, in GTA im literally about 3 seconds out of sync with everything, its starting to get very annoying!

Typical VM connection.

Associate
Typical VM connection.

Thats annoying, i left VM and went to Sky, then came back to VM, as Sky Fibre was soooooo bad i cant even think of the suitable word to describe it!

Why cant someone just make Internet, which is just so uber low latency, dont care about speed, id be happy with 50/50 with 0.000000000001 ping times and no throttling!

Man of Honour
Are you using your own router? Things may have changed but when I was with VM, the UBR I was on would sometimes change if I switched between modem mode and back.

Associate
I am about to move into a house that can get 300mb there is no cable into the house already so I assume the engineer will lay the cable up the garden how will they do it?

also will I get the full 300mb?

Soldato
I am about to move into a house that can get 300mb there is no cable into the house already so I assume the engineer will lay the cable up the garden how will they do it?

also will I get the full 300mb?

It's anyones guess if you will get the full 300mb, especially at peak times. Best to look at the virgin forums and see if anyone else in your area is complaining about speed. Its a lottery though!.

The 'engineers!' will just lay the cable the easiest way possible, if its going across lawn they will dig a trench, if its concrete im not sure what they will do but everytime they will take the easiest option. They get paid peanuts for new installs.

Back
Top Bottom