• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** OcUK HAS 21 CUSTOM GTX 1080 MODELS READY FOR PRE-ORDER !! **

Associate
Not that it's OCUK's fault, but those are obscenely priced.

There are going to be some very long faces when AMD (and NVIDIA) high end cards launch later this year.

People paying more than the massive die 980Ti / Fury X for an enthusiast card are absolutely mad.

Its performance lead is going to be a few months, only to be obliterated by both AMD and NVIDIA's own cards and be dropped enormously in price.

Also bear in mind you're paying a huge early adopter's premium for a card that's going to look ... foolish in DX12 & Vulkan.

I agree there is no competition atm in this market it will kick off soon once AMD announces VEGA in october - that's when the real fight will happen. These look expensive to me compared to existing 980ti cards - not much improvement, not many real reasons outside of VR and 4k to run it and even then it doesn't do the job required. The value will be in sales of the stock of old good quality 980ti for my money until the battle commences later in the year.

I suspect the AMD VEGA card may be the one to have for the future assuming they do HBM and a new powerful chip, that will make Nvidia work much harder than they do currently especially if there is a bunch of DX12 content to push.

Soldato
Not that it's OCUK's fault, but those are obscenely priced.

There are going to be some very long faces when AMD (and NVIDIA) high end cards launch later this year.

People paying more than the massive die 980Ti / Fury X for an enthusiast card are absolutely mad.

Its performance lead is going to be a few months, only to be obliterated by both AMD and NVIDIA's own cards and be dropped enormously in price.

Also bear in mind you're paying a huge early adopter's premium for a card that's going to look ... foolish in DX12 & Vulkan.

AND? People splashing out on big Pascal or Vega will see there cards obliterated 6-12 months down the line. If people had that kinda attitude, nobody would ever buy a graphics card.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
How much were the customs 980's when they released? Because thats how much these should be. Simple. (plus a tiny tiny bit more for inflation).

Exactly what I thought too. I think they were about average of £450 (ranging from £430 - £500)

I remember the Gigabyte G1 and Asus Strix 980 GTX were both £500 at their launch

The same models in 1080 series are now £609 and £620 respectively

Even taking into account USD conversion rates back in October 2014 (which hovered around 1.5-1.6) plus inflation doesn't equal what they are today.

But unfortunately a clear message has been sent to Nvidia now, that they can charge even more for their replacement of the 980 GTX and get away with it.

It will also be interesting to see what they price the 1070 at now, as I see this trend continuing. I remember I paid £270 for my galax/kfa black edition 970 on release. I really cant see the equivalent 1070 model to be anywhere near that price. If the trend continues then it'll be £350+ at least.

Thankfully though I'm wiser now and don't get the urge to buy 'new and shiny'

Soldato
OCUK has the better price this time around.

A certain retailer is selling the Asus strix aura 1080 for £701
OCUK price £6.19

EVGA 1080 SC £630
OCUK price £578

EVGA 1080 FTW £641
OCUK price £608

I say OCUK has won this round.:D

Soldato
Anyone buying the FTW and not planning to watercool it is wasting their money. Pretty confident you won't see any additional OC ability over the SC version if you just run it on the air coolers.

Yep. I nearly put my 980ti on water but couldnt be bothered in the end. Have gone EVGA this time specifically because i intend to use a core block on it.

OcUK Staff
OP
OCUK has the better price this time around.

A certain retailer is selling the Asus strix aura 1080 for £701
OCUK price £6.19

EVGA 1080 SC £630
OCUK price £578

EVGA 1080 FTW £641
OCUK price £608

I say OCUK has won this round.:D

Over 1500 units sold by 18:00 today, by Tuesday I predict over 5000 will be sold already at OcUK.

We have won, great prices, biggest range and the most stock on hand, we got deliveries scheduled throughout June.

FTW, Strix and Zotac Extreme are best sellers on custom cards, but FE outsold everything today.

Suspended
I agree and it is becoming oh so predictable.

Agree on the high posting over multiple thread crowds are too vocal, it is predictable, there is an ignore function or just plain don't read it.

As OcUK is an enthusiast forum, enthusiasts are allowed to display when they are happy/unhappy of what they feel in the current climate imo-it just happens a higher no of users aren't happy than is happy.

Disabling their vocality is eating into the vendors hand imo, they are monitoring opinions, whether they are bothered is another matter.:)

Associate
AND? People splashing out on big Pascal or Vega will see there cards obliterated 6-12 months down the line. If people had that kinda attitude, nobody would ever buy a graphics card.

Not exactly. I don't think there'll be as big a jump as current AMD generation(s) to Vega for a very long time.

Pascal is here to stay for 2 years. It'll be a busted flush within 6-12 months. Only thing they can do is drive clocks higher (large IF). There's no way they're going to respin Maxwell a second time for 10nm in late '17 (consumer Pascal is optically shrunk FINFET Maxwell), especially not with Volta in mid '18. There won't be any major improvements. BUT, in just a few months this 1080 is going to be nowhere high end in performance or price.

Back
Top Bottom