SFF- Pretty Little Alumin

Soldato
Matx- Pretty Little Alumin

Thought id attempt a 3rd build after the previous White and Black Hybrid builds, but with this time around, less Hybrid modding and straight up off the shelf, easy to use watercooling gear.

was going to set out to make a fully watercooled RVZ01 console case but would have had clearance issues of 1mm !!! could easily be solved but not really interested in swapping multiple water kit brands to get it done.
So attention turned to Small Forms that visually looked awesome but could handle a full watercooled system !

Saw the New MSI white Mortar B150 Matx Board and thought it was a great base to work with visually, next up was the case... found one! only issue was the colour.... US only :(

System would be based on an i5 6500, 16GB DD4 along with Samsung 950 256GB/ 1TB SSHD and using a Zotac GTX 1060 which would be watercooled - Card is on its way to Alphacool for a block to be made for it and the AMP version, believe as well it might fit the Gigabyte Mini version but will have to see.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...PoMUEOI_WUHXrxWQvSZtuauiByBTxVhHvcUyutJiNF3tV

Cooling will be driven via Eisbaer AIO with a 45mm 240 rad at the top since the full height of the Matx board isn't neeed. There will be no QDC and 16/10 compression fittings used.

Unfortunately build will adapt black as the main theme with highlights of white being the board, ram and tubing.

Wingboost/Parvum fans will be used on the bottom and bottom right to drive cold air in and up with the rad exhausting.

build will sit at a few pounds above £1000 which im pleased about :D makes up for not having the case white.

I've just seen Coolteks UMX3, which could run the same set up with some modding to have a 240 in the bottom or use current mounting points for a 120 & 140 rad

http://www.cooltek.de/media/image/4250140370556-9.jpg

Although it will be a slow build but this time around its not due to modding GPUS for Hybrids, slowly gathering parts and water block will take a while =/

** Do not Hotlink images **

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The UMX3 definitely looks way better than the other one :)

But at 24.6L it's hardly SFF any more... How about a UMX1 Plus?

True, SSF maybe stretching the term a bit . might have to attempt the console case in the near future .

UMX3 does have the better layout , and can stills hold a 45mm rad at the bottom and would show off the Mortar Arctic more , just question of increased cost and drive location if rad is on the bottom

Associate
To tell the truth I was interested in getting a UMX3 too, as I have a full EK 240 kit here sitting on the floor doing nothing. But they don't seem to sell it any more. At least not the windowed model.

Also yea it's quite expensive for what it is.

Soldato
OP
To tell the truth I was interested in getting a UMX3 too, as I have a full EK 240 kit here sitting on the floor doing nothing. But they don't seem to sell it any more. At least not the windowed model.

Also yea it's quite expensive for what it is.

*** seems sugguesting has been removed even though they dont stock it here. Quite easy to find though mind , but a bit more of a pricier site. actually gives better pictures then Cooltek/Jonsbro site does!!!!!

do agree the UMX3 will be more striking, lower footprint and show off the board more but cant help but think location of storage drives.
a 120 & 140 30mm thick rad should fit on the current two locations not not sure it would would make the build untidy.

***** damn, the back the of the 120mm rad along witht he thickness of the GPX backplate would clash :( Guessing will stick to original plans. Tried Looking for the Jonsbo VR 2 case but none in EU. looked stunning and would have done well

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Million dollar question and views would greatly appreciated....

Cooling a 65w i5 6500 and 120w GTX 1060 Mini with a single 140 30mm thick rad. No overclock on CPU for chipset and CPU reasons no none most likely on GPU.

Looked up in theory a 140 should be able to handle 370w of heat with a single fans, but temps will be based on delta's ect.

would have never thought of entertaining the idea on 600/700 & 900 series cards but with the Skylake and Pascal... Could it be done.
An AMD 295x2 had a 120 cooling it and produced more wattage... So yeah, views and thoughts please ??!?!

Main reason for idea is as suggested, use an UMX case as it's jusylt damn gorgeous !!!

Associate
I was cooling a i7 3770 (77w) and a 1070 FE (150w) with two thin 120mm radiator sandwiching a SINGLE fan, and it was fine, even when lightly overclocked. Just that at max load the fan gets a bit noisy.

So I'd say it's fine. BUT! You can add one more thin 120mm radiator can't you? Or use a 240mm radiator on the bottom panel.

Don't forget that push-pull adds around 20% of cooling performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I was cooling a i7 3770 (77w) and a 1070 FE (150w) with two thin 120mm radiator sandwiching a SINGLE fan, and it was fine, even when lightly overclocked. Just that at max load the fan gets a bit noisy.

So I'd say it's fine. BUT! You can add one more thin 120mm radiator can't you? Or use a 240mm radiator on the bottom panel.

Don't forget that push-pull adds around 20% of cooling performance.

thanks for that :D

personally i blame members on here for making me see the UMX is such a more prettier case !!!! :D

The 120 at the side may clash with the back plate of the GPX block, unless they have reduced the thickness but I only think thats for the GPX-Pro series.
I could add a single 120 on the bottom, 240 would render the SSD cage useless with no storage else where on the case. But routing would be a little untidy unless i did use some hard tubing to run up to top rad.

just seen a video on youtube with a i5 6600k and GTX 980 oc on a single 120 with descent temps, so should be good.

was asking a vendor about heat of the 1000 series, was told that even though it has a smaller die and less wattage the surface is actually hotter , specially in the 1080 then 900 series which makes sense due to surface area. Gets me wonder if b the next node shrink, will we see an Intel style like on the GPU chip . Im sure there'll be a point the chip is to small to conduct the heat off it properly

Soldato
OP
GPU has arrived and after quick snap is on its way to Alphacool..... maybe i should have tried to boot it first, oh well :D

Hoping I can blag it in white. Seems the block will be able to cover AMP version as well as EVGA and Gigabyte Mini versions which they're all based on the reference card.
hoping this will spawn a lot of mITX water builds with single a single Rad :D

and with comments from thread, change to the case, black version though :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You have my attention :D

Will be a bit of a long winded build :(

Waterblock will be up to 2.5 months to receive . Might use the block with universal mount in the time being just to test out temperatures running under a single radiator .

Alphacool seems to think it wouldn't out great but have seen builds rocking OC 6600k & 980 with temps of 45c/50c , so hoping it should be fine.
Would need a good fan though ... Was going to use Parvum /WingBoost 2 but may have to opt for nosieblocker.

Sent an email to Cooltek if they'd be kind to donate a case for the build, as I've highlighted both Jonsbo/Cooltek sites are very poor with stating water compatibility and any Chinese reviews have very mixed views on it or none at all.
Will also see if I can squeeze a 120 in the rear but I think the thick backplate of the GPX would clash with the bulkhead of the ports :/

Might have to jump on the Ram before prices shoot up!

Soldato
My build is likely to be just as long winded so take all the time you need :D

While I was speccing up my In Win 901 for water I've liked the look of these Jonsbo cases and fancied a crack myself, so nice to see somebody else is playing with them.

Soldato
I had one of those cases. They're fantastic tbh. I modded mine and fitted two slim 120mm fans under the bottom (on the outside but the curved bottom of the side panel covered them).

Fiddly to work in at times but yeah, I had great fun :D

Edit. Oh wait, that one is MATX. Mine was ITX. Gorgeous build quality.

Soldato
OP
My build is likely to be just as long winded so take all the time you need :D

While I was speccing up my In Win 901 for water I've liked the look of these Jonsbo cases and fancied a crack myself, so nice to see somebody else is playing with them.

They have a new range, seems only out in US-China at the moment. VR1/2 I think the name is. Its a 90 flip layout like the Silverstone ones but looks RM series they do. would have preferred to work off that one.

I had one of those cases. They're fantastic tbh. I modded mine and fitted two slim 120mm fans under the bottom (on the outside but the curved bottom of the side panel covered them).

If seen with the UMX1 that they made water cooling with a single 120 at the top a pain ! Seems this one has actual holes for screws but no data on clearance !
Might add a 120 bottom to blow at the 1060,s GPX heatsink

Associate

So did you have one or two rads? Do you have a build log?

Soldato
OP
those VRs look nice, but can't help but think Jonsbo are taking more than a little "inspiration" from In Win's newer portfolio.

Haha, I spoke to an ex employee of Cooltek that dealt with Jonsbo. Said that in their small Chinese office they'd proberly never seen a PC radiator in their life. Form over function in to which, they are stunning .

Andy, awesome ! Was one of the builds I looked at. As I recall the floornis screwed with 2 revits ?
Did not know the panel curved to cover the fans ! Resisted putting 2 fans on the bottom as need the ssd cage but doing what you did is tempting!!

Back
Top Bottom