New essential Android apps thread

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a decent homescreen widget? I was using the Cyanogen clock, with weather and calendar list -- but for some reason the last update it lost the weather part :confused:

I just want something with a nice digital clock, weather summary and customisable calendar agenda :)

Associate
Can anyone recommend a lightweight music player please? Haven't used locally stored music for a while and have recently started to. I'm using google play music and I can't help but think it's a resource hog. Phone gets very hot and battery takes a dive :confused:

Any recommendations welcome!

Rocket Player You can tweak it to give it a minimalist look.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone have real issues with TuneinRadio? It's practically unusable for me. It takes loads of attempts to start a stream (6 music, radio 2, kerrang), always gives me errors. I've tried changing buffer size (up and down), stream quality etc. It's just crap :confused:

EDIT: Running on my onePlus One.

Soldato
Tried Duo today with a friend so he could show me his new flat. We were using Facebook Messenger first but it kept dropping out; Duo's video quality is far, far better. Nice, simple little app.

Associate
When you see the new T&C's you can deselect sharing the information but I think it's only a partial exemption from what I have read.

Not a faceache user myself so I'm not sure how it will affect me. If I start getting watsapp adverts sent me me as messages then I'll be removing it I instantly.

Soldato
Anyone getting occasional crashes using QuickPic (Neutered version) under Android N? Had a few lately since updating.

Edit: Trying out Piktures and it's pretty decent from the last time I used it!

Last edited:
Soldato
I know this has probably been asked and answered numerous times but that do people out there think is the best video player app on Android?

I've been using a combination of BS Player (free) and VLC but there are still inherent problems with audio codecs (AC3??) - I don't mind stumping up for a paid version as long as it does the job!

Ideally I'd like one that has network support so I can browse the internal memory, a connected USB drive and the NAS on my home network!

Thanks for any opinions.....

Back
Top Bottom