Msi gt73vr

Man of Honour
OP
Hello Loki!

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...-intel-i7-6820hk-gaming-laptop-lt-249-ms.html

This is the one. As you can see from the advert OCuk are using the wrong placeholders and specify a Bluray writer (which was one of the reasons why I bought it). I was disappointed there is no ODD at all but I can understand why.

I appreciate you get DOA's and laptops that will break but I was disappointed to be on the receiving end of one :(

Soldato
Hello Loki!

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...-intel-i7-6820hk-gaming-laptop-lt-249-ms.html

This is the one. As you can see from the advert OCuk are using the wrong placeholders and specify a Bluray writer (which was one of the reasons why I bought it). I was disappointed there is no ODD at all but I can understand why.

I appreciate you get DOA's and laptops that will break but I was disappointed to be on the receiving end of one :(

What do you need a blu-ray drive for o.o

Associate
Hello Loki!

Did you get this sorted with OCuk?

I notice that they have now sorted out the product page for the laptop now.

Associate
I am absolutely positive the MSI is the way to go. I'll await my replacement. I realised when inspecting my one (for the ten minutes or so I had it) that it is considerably lighter than the Asus ROG it replaces. This is a good thing, in my opinion, but it also points towards a lighter build quality. I can see why it has no optical drive though, pretty obvious when you see how the heat pipes have to work round that 1080. It must generate oodles of heat. Hope it isn't too noisy but going by the above it should be okay.

From what I'm aware the new Asus doesn't support Thunderbolt, or does it?

I was thinking that way also, but from the forums I visit all have bleed issues. I do have a month before I part with my cash so maybe things can change.

Man of Honour
OP
Right I've received my replacement. This time it works, well sort of! I've been suffering a LOT of crashes using Football Manager 16. Apparently my unit is overheating, but I can't be sure.

I'm running speedfan here, and I've told it to control the fans. Whilst I have been typing this the temps have reduced quite nicely. GPU is just 44 and HD is 40. The cpu varies massively though, and although it is 43-45 at the mo, I've seen it as high at 70.

But in FM they ramp up skyward. I've had some real nasty crashes which cause the machine to reboot. I've had a corrupted game file as a result. This is not really what I expected, but I can't be sure what is causing this. What's the operational temps for these machines?

Soldato
Hi Phil,

Please get in contact with me directly neil reid(no spaces) (at) msi (dot) com and I will pick up with our service team on this with you

BR

Man of Honour
OP
Try running Aida64 and monitoring the CPU temps and if it throttles. If you run the cpu and GPU test at the same time you might find it throttling the CPU. It's common on laptops but should not really happen. Run the check and monitor the CPU and GPU temps. Aida will tell you if it throttles at all.

https://www.aida64.com/products/aida64-engineer

I downloaded this, but because it is a trial version it isn't overly useful. I'm not inclined to buy the full product as I am pretty sure this laptop is going back.

I also downloaded FurMark and the 1920x1080 test bombed at 72 degrees. The machine then reset itself out of frustration. I'm guessing the gpu overheated in some shape or form, and this is what I'm experiencing. I would be very interested to know how the other owners are getting on with theirs? I mean, I really want to like the laptop, and I really don't want to send this one back. But I may not have any choice :( I'm pretty gutted right now. Am I just extremely unlucky? Surely these should cope with the heat?

Soldato
No need to buy you can run the stability tests with the trial version. It enables you to test both the CPU and GPU cooling at the same time ano see if it throttles when under load.

Soldato
It means the cooling cannot cope with a load on both the GPU and CPU. Simply it means the cooling is not up to the job. Although it's unlikely you will be in a situation where both are being stressed together it's something that would bother me. My G752 managed to keep the 980m and 6700 within tolerances with no throttling on the same test...

Last edited:
Associate
I know its not much consolation but mine has been running faultlessly. Really bad luck to have a DOA and faulty unit :eek:

Looks like support are looking after you though :)

Associate
I purchased a MSI GT73VR-6RF-TitanPro (GT73VR 6RF-035UK) laptop from overclockers at the weekend and have experienced the same problems as Phil.

My CPU temperature is getting up to 72 degrees C when I am using my laptop for virtualization based activities which are disk and CPU intensive. I ran speedfan on my laptop and it showed 4 fans but fan3 reported 0RPM which I assume is because it is not working or it is not present.

I have emailed Neil at MSI regarding this issue and I am waiting on feedback from MSI HQ

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Very interesting thanks for posting. So we are in the same boat.

I tried FurMark first thing this morning after a cold boot. It lasted some five minutes before bombing. So there is definitely an issue with this. I reckon, quite simply, the heatpipe isn't working as effectively as it should be. I can't hear the fans at idle, and only when I ramp them up to 75% using the latest Dragon software can anything be heard at all. There isn't enough air circulating through the chassis. This will effect the life of all parts inside the machine.

The only thing I don't understand is how some seem to be okay? I would say, judging by these 3 machines alone, there is a serious problem.

Back
Top Bottom