• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

EVGA Pascal cards hotspot problem

Associate
I would say that's exactly the frequency i'm seeing it occurring now.

I have tried the following with no luck.

- Stock CPU, GPU clocks and voltages.
- DDU clean and Nvidia Drivers 368.81 , 372.90 and 373.06
- Fresh install of Windows 10 Anniversary Edition.
- Changing the power setting of the GPU from optimal to adaptive.

The power setting appeared to reduce the issue but could be a coincidence.

Windows logs shows The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116

By debugging the memory.dmp file the fault is a video_tdr_failure with nvlddmkm.sys

Put my Asus GTX 670 back in and after 25 startups no sign of the issue.

Monitor is connected via DVI
Always happens from a powered off state.
When it occurs I see the bios but at the point where the windows logo should be shown the signal to the monitor is lost. My pc then restarts moments later.
All my mechanical drives then take ages to spin back up but the second boot will always succeed.

I think this is a platform specific issue but I would expect to see this popping up more especially as there are many X58 and Z68 ASUS users out there.

Might contact EVGA now as im running out of things to try.

This is my first EVGA card and initially I was very very impressed but now with the hotspot issue as well I'm really starting to regret this purchase.

Last edited:
Soldato
"with other graphics card models form EVGA's models also being considered"

Leaving me scratching my head wondering if my 1080 classified could also have this problem.

Some clarity would be nice and some thermal testing and pics of the full range of cards, demonstrating exactly which are working and which are not even better.

Soldato
"with other graphics card models form EVGA's models also being considered"

Leaving me scratching my head wondering if my 1080 classified could also have this problem.

Some clarity would be nice and some thermal testing and pics of the full range of cards, demonstrating exactly which are working and which are not even better.

Definitely anything with an ACX 3.0 cooler from what I've read on the EVGA forum. Only FE and hybrids not considered effected (at the moment).

There should be a sticky appearing on the relevant sub forum over at EVGA within the next 24 hours, detailing how to get the relevant thermal pads that they are offering to alleviate peoples concerns (obviously a self fit though!).

Always something to worry about ;)

PS. At the moment EVGA is not admitting that this is a "real" issue (who knows if it really is). The solution (IE. extra thermal pads) is just being offered to any concerned customers that want them. Though they have commented, that at some point in the near future, new cards will come with the extra thermal pads already fitted. So if this isn't a real problem, then why are they going to modify new cards? Hard to know who to believe at times. I'll be ordering them up and fitting them ASAP myself. But then again, I am super paranoid :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Definitely anything with an ACX 3.0 cooler from what I've read on the EVGA forum. Only FE and hybrids not considered effected (at the moment).

There should be a sticky appearing on the relevant sub forum over at EVGA within the next 24 hours, detailing how to get the relevant thermal pads that they are offering to alleviate peoples concerns (obviously a self fit though!).

Always something to worry about ;)

PS. At the moment EVGA is not admitting that this is a "real" issue (who knows if it really is). The solution (IE. extra thermal pads) is just being offered to any concerned customers that want them. Though they have commented, that at some point in the near future, new cards will come with the extra thermal pads already fitted. So if this isn't a real problem, then why are they going to modify new cards? Hard to know who to believe at times. I'll be ordering them up and fitting them ASAP myself. But then again, I am super paranoid :eek:

Good too know. I will get some as well.

Not had my card for long, so not pushed it as its plenty fast enough in what I am playing.

Did try some overclocking but I have only been playing fallout 4. Was rather pathetic, crash, freeze or blackscreen at anything over + 189 mhz in the mem clock offset.

Just put it down to the game, hope the classified can do a bit better than that, was going to test in a few more games tonight.

I may wait.

Soldato
Good too know. I will get some as well.

Not had my card for long, so not pushed it as its plenty fast enough in what I am playing.

Did try some overclocking but I have only been playing fallout 4. Was rather pathetic, crash, freeze or blackscreen at anything over + 189 mhz in the mem clock offset.

Just put it down to the game, hope the classified can do a bit better than that, was going to test in a few more games tonight.

I may wait.

Micron memory by any chance?

If so, then there are new BIOS's available via the EVGA graphics card sub forum to hopefully address poor over clocking on cards with Micron memory.

PS... http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1070-BIOS-Update-v8604500070-m2565056.aspx

Last edited:
Associate
I was going to order one of these after pondering for a while. Really the warranty was my reason for choosing EVGA over the others.

It seems to me that MSI are the only ones that don't have big problems. Sucks this. I dunno what to do now. Im assuming they will bring out new ones that are updated to address this issue. Anyone know how long that will take?

Soldato
I was going to order one of these after pondering for a while. Really the warranty was my reason for choosing EVGA over the others.

It seems to me that MSI are the only ones that don't have big problems. Sucks this. I dunno what to do now. Im assuming they will bring out new ones that are updated to address this issue. Anyone know how long that will take?

But this is the conundrum... EVGA claim (and I expect they may be right) that under normal usage, this isn't a problem. I suspect that it's only something like Furmark (blacklisted by Nvidia) that really pushes these cards that hard and "maybe" will cause an issue. But who really knows I suppose.

By the way. MSI are not trouble free. As they are one of the manufacturers using Micron memory now and are (if they have not already) going to release BIOS update/s to address the fact that a lot of folks can't OC their cards that well and some have even had issues even at stock.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4wh8jc/msi_officially_announces_gtx_1070_quality/

Real crapshoot as usual buying a graphics card.

Can't say that I regret buying EVGA this time. As at least they hold their hands up and try to remedy issues / problems fast. Obviously in an ideal world, this would not be necessary... but hey... this is real life ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
But this is the conundrum... EVGA claim (and I expect they may be right) that under normal usage, this isn't a problem. I suspect that it's only something like Furmark (blacklisted by Nvidia) that really pushes these cards that hard and "maybe" will cause an issue. But who really knows I suppose.

By the way. MSI are not trouble free. As they are one of the manufacturers using Micron memory now and are (if they have not already) going to release BIOS update/s to address the fact that a lot of folks can't OC their cards that well and some have even had issues even at stock.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4wh8jc/msi_officially_announces_gtx_1070_quality/

Real crapshoot as usual buying a graphics card.

Can't say that I regret buying EVGA this time. As at least they hold their hands up and try to remedy issues / problems fast. Obviously in an ideal world, this would not be necessary... buy hey... this is real life ;)

I'm much the same. Apparently the test with Furmark on Tomshardware was ran for 1 hour 30 mins in 30c ambient. This isn't anything like normal gaming even with something gpu intensive. The way the card appears to be manufactured right down to small details plus their overall rep leads me to be inclined to trust what they say for now.

Soldato
Furmark is pretty severe - but then some games are worse than others temp wise etc

30C ambient doesn't seem that hot - I bet the inside of my case is much hotter than that

Soldato
Furmark is pretty severe - but then some games are worse than others temp wise etc

30C ambient doesn't seem that hot - I bet the inside of my case is much hotter than that

No disrespect... But when ambient temp is referred to, it's taking about the environmental temperature not how hot the inside of your case is.

When you look at the test done by tom's hardware in Germany, it's not like they got the card to fail! EVGA also claim to have repeated this "test" and got similar results. But claim that all the temps were still within spec.

Suspect we all need to take a step back and see how this pans out.

Cant say that as an owner I'm overly worried.

Soldato
No disrespect... But when ambient temp is referred to, it's taking about the environmental temperature not how hot the inside of your case is.

When you look at the test done by tom's hardware in Germany, it's not like they got the card to fail! EVGA also claim to have repeated this "test" and got similar results. But claim that all the temps were still within spec.

Suspect we all need to take a step back and see how this pans out.

Cant say that as an owner I'm overly worried.

I am sorry but you are wrong

Ambient temp is the temp that surrounds the object in question - in this case your Graphics card

Ambient temp of a card in test on a bench prob room temp plus a degree or so

Ambient temp of a card inside a standard pc.case is the temp inside of your case

Back
Top Bottom