• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Titan XP, anything i need to know?

Associate
I have a prolimatech mk26 with 2x140mm fans cooling my 980ti, would this actually be able to cool a Titan xp? It keeps my ti at around 55-60 degrees maxed out and + 200 on the core?

Soldato
It would be 2*fe 1080s
So clocked at around 1800 by default

What would be two FE's? The comparison I provided was against EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW which are 1860MHz boost (what they would run at).

The FE are clocked at 1733MHz boost.

What wasn't mentioned is the comparision of a manual overclocked 1080 vs manual overclocked TXP.

That works out at as:

54fps for the manual OC 1080
67fps for the manual OC TXP

so percentage wise you would gain 24% fps from moving up from the 1080 to TXP at twice the price so that is a large diminishing return in my opinion. But then if you took the 1080 in SLI at the same price then you would end with it looking like this

50fps for stock OC 1080 (different 1080 card as what I can find to compare Palit Gamerock Premium compared to EVGA FTW)
54fps for manual OC 1080
82fps for the sli stock OC 1080

No manual overclock given for the cards but even on the basis that you can place two then yes the 1080 in SLI is the clear winner for Witcher 3.

(All figures in last example for for 4k gaming however with hairworks off for all also).

Now in the interest and because of cost. 1070 SLI for witcher 3 actually gave 68fps

If the other games you play are;

Assassins Creed Unity
Crysis 3
The division (least optimised lowest fps regardless of card)
farcry primal (assume all farcry series would be similar as same engine)
rise of the tomb raider

Then actually the 1080 in sli make sense, heck in all of those titles 1070 sli actually beat out the TXP at 4K so you would have the same performance at a much lower cost.

The low of 52fps for The Division and however the TXP only manages 50fps also. Now you could go down the watercooling route for the 1070's to try and gain a little more with a decent manual clock and still be under the budget of the TXP.

The problem is for a lot of other games as stated the SLI doesn't work and so you drop back down to 30-40fps for a 1070 then at 4k.

If you decided that is too much of a drop and a hassle a 2nd 1080 in the games listed above provide around a 30% increase over the TXP. That to me is reasonably healthy considering costs. Again it would depend I think on your total games collection on what you do.

Witcher 3 and/or any of the above go for a 1070/1080 SLI for most others the TXP works out better.

Soldato
OP
What would be two FE's? The comparison I provided was against EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW which are 1860MHz boost (what they would run at).

The FE are clocked at 1733MHz boost.

What wasn't mentioned is the comparision of a manual overclocked 1080 vs manual overclocked TXP.

That works out at as:

54fps for the manual OC 1080

so percentage wise you would gain 24% fps from moving up from the 1080 to TXP at twice the price so that is a large diminishing return in my opinion. But then if you took the 1080 in SLI at the same price then you would end with it looking like this

50fps for stock OC 1080 (different 1080 card as what I can find to compare Palit Gamerock Premium compared to EVGA FTW)
54fps for manual OC 1080
82fps for the sli stock OC 1080

No manual overclock given for the cards but even on the basis that you can place two then yes the 1080 in SLI is the clear winner for Witcher 3.

(All figures in last example for for 4k gaming however with hairworks off for all also).

Now in the interest and because of cost. 1070 SLI for witcher 3 actually gave 68fps

If the other games you play are;

Assassins Creed Unity
Crysis 3
The division (least optimised lowest fps regardless of card)
farcry primal (assume all farcry series would be similar as same engine)
rise of the tomb raider

Then actually the 1080 in sli make sense, heck in all of those titles 1070 sli actually beat out the TXP at 4K so you would have the same performance at a much lower cost.

The low of 52fps for The Division and however the TXP only manages 50fps also. Now you could go down the watercooling route for the 1070's to try and gain a little more with a decent manual clock and still be under the budget of the TXP.

The problem is for a lot of other games as stated the SLI doesn't work and so you drop back down to 30-40fps for a 1070 then at 4k.

If you decided that is too much of a drop and a hassle a 2nd 1080 in the games listed above provide around a 30% increase over the TXP. That to me is reasonably healthy considering costs. Again it would depend I think on your total games collection on what you do.

Witcher 3 and/or any of the above go for a 1070/1080 SLI for most others the TXP works out better.

If I got 1080s it would be 2*fe my founders boost to 1860 by default

Soldato
Why? Because in all likelihood it'll be around £400 cheaper for very similar performance.

I do not for a minute believe they are going to drop the cards at £400 less than the TXP. I believe they actually raised the TXP price to suit the bracket they are aiming for where they will sit between £850-£950 and be around 15% faster than the 1080.

This would sit nicely in the middle between the current 1080 and TXP both in terms of price and performance. For that I feel that it is not really an option for what we are discussing here because a single card will not offer enough improvement to warrant making the move and it would be too costly compared to other options to SLI it.

In my opinion and speculation.

Caporegime
I do not for a minute believe they are going to drop the cards at £400 less than the TXP. I believe they actually raised the TXP price to suit the bracket they are aiming for where they will sit between £850-£950 and be around 15% faster than the 1080.

This would sit nicely in the middle between the current 1080 and TXP both in terms of price and performance. For that I feel that it is not really an option for what we are discussing here because a single card will not offer enough improvement to warrant making the move and it would be too costly compared to other options to SLI it.

If it was just Nvidia who have raised prices. Apple and many others have had to reset the UK RRP to take account of the exchange rate changes.

I know 1080s didnt increase but perhaps they were due a £50 drop so they just left the list price alone?

Soldato
Ah OK, well as standard though the official numbers for the 1080 FE boost is 1733MHz for all version regardless of vendor selling them.

Boost speeds in pretty much all situations go higher then quoted on the box, for most the cards. The cooler they run the higher they will boost which is why you see lovely boost's on some of the aftermarket models. I do have 4 FE's however and all handily go past 1800 mhz no issue and for overclocking land in the 2050-2150 mhz range, mild fluctuations.

Mu gut feeling it will be close to the TXP in performance, like last few gens with very slightly cut down core. However the ones with beefier PCB's and aftermarket coolers will likely boost much higher and outperform a TXP on its reference blower.

Soldato
If it was just Nvidia who have raised prices. Apple and many others have had to reset the UK RRP to take account of the exchange rate changes.

I know 1080s didnt increase but perhaps they were due a £50 drop so they just left the list price alone?

Maybe, just feel that the only card to raise from Nvidia was the TXP which to me is making way for another model.

Apple do what they want. The fact they raised prices for an online app store because of Brexit says a lot about their views though.

Soldato
OP
Just an update to answer a lot of questions

my mind is switching between 1080 SLI/Titan still & very unlikely Ti

If i go SLI
it will be 2x FE (stock coolers) with 3 slot spacing

if i go Titan X
ill try obtain one from OCUK so they can Put an Aftermarket Cooler on the card.
don't trust myself :p

Ti would be AIB

CPU wise even at 3.7 each individual core reach a max of 40% usage, so no where near Max %

Last edited:
Soldato
Boost speeds in pretty much all situations go higher then quoted on the box, for most the cards. The cooler they run the higher they will boost which is why you see lovely boost's on some of the aftermarket models. I do have 4 FE's however and all handily go past 1800 mhz no issue and for overclocking land in the 2050-2150 mhz range, mild fluctuations.

The FE are all the same cooler though, that was the whole point. You can buy through a 3rd party for the warranty but the rest is all the same otherwise. So the fact they may run cooler or not has nothing to with the AIB coolers.

Glad to know they are boosting higher than stated though. And assume the 2050-2150 is your manual clocks.

My gut feeling it will be close to the TXP in performance, like last few gens with very slightly cut down core. However the ones with beefier PCB's and aftermarket coolers will likely boost much higher and outperform a TXP on its reference blower.

The TXP already has a cut down core though this time unlike previous. And it also comes clocked closer to that of the 1080 than the older Titan did to the 980 although admittedly not by much but it must mean there isn't as much overhead to do the same again.

And this time the TXP already clocks very very well even compared to that of the 1080 with them being about on par for the clocks they can achieve with the standard reference blower and would expect the same if there was some aftermarket coolers too.

This is shown in the watercooling where again the 1080 and TXP appear to be able to achieve very similar OC.

Soldato
The FE are all the same cooler though, that was the whole point. You can buy through a 3rd party for the warranty but the rest is all the same otherwise. So the fact they may run cooler or not has nothing to with the AIB coolers.

Glad to know they are boosting higher than stated though. And assume the 2050-2150 is your manual clocks.

The TXP already has a cut down core though this time unlike previous. And it also comes clocked closer to that of the 1080 than the older Titan did to the 980 although admittedly not by much but it must mean there isn't as much overhead to do the same again.

And this time the TXP already clocks very very well even compared to that of the 1080 with them being about on par for the clocks they can achieve with the standard reference blower and would expect the same if there was some aftermarket coolers too.

This is shown in the watercooling where again the 1080 and TXP appear to be able to achieve very similar OC.

Right yes, in that regards all FE models are identical aside from being slapped in varying AIB boxes. Yep 2050-2150 (all the cards OC slightly differently) is manual OC.

Well yes, sure the TXP will be able to hit 2000+ on reference blower, but the fan needs to be ramped up and personally found needing to hold 70% fan RPM to maintain that boost short time I had mine was fairly loud. In that regards 1080 is also loud but having a much lower TDP helps somewhat in not needing to ramp up as high. This is where an AIB cooler will help with the 1080Ti. As I mentioned this was against a reference blower TXP, it becomes moot under water anyways.

Caporegime

This. The 1080ti may well be able to brag that its faster at stock speeds than a txp but purely because it will come with faster pre set clocks.

Overclocked they will run at pretty much the same speed. The 1080ti will have a custom cooler advantage over the stock txp and will clock higher for the same noise level.

the 980ti had extra overclocking headroom over the titan that generation to compensate for it being slightly cut down. The 1080ti cant do that this time.

Back
Top Bottom