New headset : Pimax Crystal

Associate
If you bought during lockdown, it was crazy back then. Getting a PC was probably the best way to get a GPU and CPU at any kind of decent price.
I'm just having a look at the new pc,s on hear now, theres some nice ones with a 4070.I'll see how mine does with my crystal,i might bite the bullet and spend some cash.I'll be retired next year,i'm just gonna fly till i die.You only live once,i might as well do it in HD. 15-07-2021 when i bought my pc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm just having a look at the new pc,s on hear now, theres some nice ones with a 4070.I'll see how mine does with my crystal,i might bite the bullet and spend some cash.I'll be retired next year,i'm just gonna fly till i die.You only live once,i might as well do it in HD. 15-07-2021 when i bought my pc.

If you are serious about VR and keeping the Pimax, you should be looking at 4080 and up or 7900XT and up. Hopefully in November both these cards will have dropped in price or there will be some decent deals during Black Friday.

Soldato
It’s worth mentioning that the requirements vary greatly depending on which games you are hoping to play.

The Crystal is certainly a power hungry beast to run at its best, but it still looks good at lower resolutions if you need to dial it down.

If they ever get around to finally releasing the eye tracking out of beta, that will help a bit, especially if you are a fan of DCS or Pavlov where quad views will be giving very significant perf uplifts.

Associate
It’s worth mentioning that the requirements vary greatly depending on which games you are hoping to play.

The Crystal is certainly a power hungry beast to run at its best, but it still looks good at lower resolutions if you need to dial it down.

If they ever get around to finally releasing the eye tracking out of beta, that will help a bit, especially if you are a fan of DCS or Pavlov where quad views will be giving very significant perf uplifts.
I only fly in VR,mostly MSFS,DCS,With a 3dof motion platform not yet ballanced or set up propper yet,not had it long.

Associate

The flight sim guy has got his eye tracking now,so it must be available to everyone who has a crystal.Should it not.

Associate
OP
I bit the bullet and bought a new pc,it'll be delivered this wednesday.Specs.
Intel core i9-12900kf.16 Core,32GB corsair DDR4 Ram.
RTX 4090 24 GB.
2TB.
Nothing fancy,should be ok though.
"Nothing fancy"....That's a beast!

The flight sim guy has got his eye tracking now,so it must be available to everyone who has a crystal.Should it not.
afaik I think it's still in beta so only a select few have it, it's a good sign though.

Soldato
I bit the bullet and bought a new pc,it'll be delivered this wednesday.Specs.
Intel core i9-12900kf.16 Core,32GB corsair DDR4 Ram.
RTX 4090 24 GB.
2TB.
Nothing fancy,should be ok though.

Nothing Fancy!! hahaha. You don't do half measures do you?? :p

Well done though. You bought the best GPU for VR out there at the moment. And for a headset like the Crystal with the type of games you play, it really is the only option.

In for a penny in for a many many pounds :p:D

Associate
Nothing Fancy!! hahaha. You don't do half measures do you?? :p

Well done though. You bought the best GPU for VR out there at the moment. And for a headset like the Crystal with the type of games you play, it really is the only option.

In for a penny in for a many many pounds :p:D
I look at it like this,i've been devastated by tragedy.Nothing matters to me,plus when you get to my age anything can happen.I've started to de-clutter,i'm selling a lot of stuff so i thought i'd treat myself.

Soldato
I look at it like this,i've been devastated by tragedy.Nothing matters to me,plus when you get to my age anything can happen.I've started to de-clutter,i'm selling a lot of stuff so i thought i'd treat myself.

Hey, you don't need to explain yourself to me. I treat myself at the drop of a hat :p

You invested in a high quality VR headset and a 3dof motion platform. You were completely right to buy a good PC to drive that headset. To use a car analogy. It would be like buying all the gear for a track day car, proper suspension, expensive tyres, roll cage, racing gear, bucket seats and then fitting it with 50 CC engine.

Life is too short. Enjoy it while you can :)

Just curious have you tried VR before this?

Associate
Hey, you don't need to explain yourself to me. I treat myself at the drop of a hat :p

You invested in a high quality VR headset and a 3dof motion platform. You were completely right to buy a good PC to drive that headset. To use a car analogy. It would be like buying all the gear for a track day car, proper suspension, expensive tyres, roll cage, racing gear, bucket seats and then fitting it with 50 CC engine.

Life is too short. Enjoy it while you can :)

Just curious have you tried VR before this?
Car analogy,thats a good one.

Last edited:
Associate
It's took me a while to set things up,all i can say is fantastic.The weight of the pimax didn't bother me,but i do have a strong neck and shoulders though.The thing that bothers me after a good fly around is my back,that does hurt.I think i'm gonna have to find a comfy car seat that i can fit to my rig,i had one out of a camper van but i threw it out when i turned motion platform.I could sit on that for hours,but it was to heavy.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Good call on the car seat. I found a cheap one from an old MX5, but I’d also been looking at units from a Saab, Volvo, Merc or Bimmer. What I didn’t want to do was end up needing to power the seat, so it had to be manually adjustable, which ruled out a lot, especially from Lexus, LR and Jag.

Good spec on the PC, but can I suggest that your up the RAM to 64GB for DCS.

Associate
OP
It's took me a while to set things up,all i can say is fantastic.The weight of the pimax didn't bother me,but i do have a strong neck and shoulders though.The thing that bothers me after a good fly around is my back,that does hurt.I think i'm gonna have to find a comfy car seat that i can fit to my rig,i had one out of a camper van but i threw it out when i turned motion platform.I could sit on that for hours,but it was to heavy.
Have you used the controllers yet? If so what do you think of them?

Back
Top Bottom