Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
What are you doing in terms of diet?

The times I've lost weight are only when I've cut back on the calories, no matter how much running I was doing. Best thing I ever did was to buy some kitchen scales!
I'm only taking in around 1,000 to 1,2000 calories a day, I treat myself to a bag of popcorn once a month but that's only 500cals I can't cut back anymore really

Soldato
I'm only taking in around 1,000 to 1,2000 calories a day, I treat myself to a bag of popcorn once a month but that's only 500cals I can't cut back anymore really

At that low you’re possibly worth having a few days up near 2000 to shock the body a bit and then drop again.

Only eating that many calories and wanting to run 5 times a week is a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: SPG
Soldato
At that low you’re possibly worth having a few days up near 2000 to shock the body a bit and then drop again.

Only eating that many calories and wanting to run 5 times a week is a recipe for disaster.
I honestly didn't think it was "that" low, it's not like I'm starving, I don't do much apart from 5k runs and sitting at the computer so I didn't think I'd need more calories ?

Soldato
I honestly didn't think it was "that" low, it's not like I'm starving, I don't do much apart from 5k runs and sitting at the computer so I didn't think I'd need more calories ?

It's worth trying one of those calorie calculator tools. I aim for ~1500kcal/day and also do very little on a regular day (190cm and 95kg with it set for maximum 2lb/week loss). However if i run/cycle then i'll add the calories back on. I don't think i could run 5 days a week without eating calories back as assuming you burn 400kcal per run. You'd be putting your body into starvation mode.

I'd say it's well worth having a few days eating higher calories and then drop back again after and you should see a drop again. The body is great at adapting. Same as you could probably eat 3000kcal a day and get to a point where you don't put weight on.

OG

OG

Associate
Finally feeling slightly more settled with my running since moving up to Yorkshire at the beginning of this year. Going from flat Herts -> Hilly Dales was a bit of an eye opener. I joined a local running club and go out with them on a Tuesday for their social run which has been fantastic, not just in terms of the social side but also coming to terms that running slower than I'm used to is no bad thing.

I now feel way stronger on the hills which feels great, I still struggle on the the long technical downhills, my brain will normally just decide to engage with a 'if you trip on that rock you're gonna fall' :D. On the whole I would say my overall fitness has improved since moving but more importantly I seem to be significantly less injured with little niggles, I think the slightly more technical hills have helped to strengthen my calves and ankles!

Soldato
Finally feeling slightly more settled with my running since moving up to Yorkshire at the beginning of this year. Going from flat Herts -> Hilly Dales was a bit of an eye opener. I joined a local running club and go out with them on a Tuesday for their social run which has been fantastic, not just in terms of the social side but also coming to terms that running slower than I'm used to is no bad thing.

I now feel way stronger on the hills which feels great, I still struggle on the the long technical downhills, my brain will normally just decide to engage with a 'if you trip on that rock you're gonna fall' :D. On the whole I would say my overall fitness has improved since moving but more importantly I seem to be significantly less injured with little niggles, I think the slightly more technical hills have helped to strengthen my calves and ankles!

Awesome stuff. Running on technical ground is so much fun. There's no switching off and i find you get to really focus on the run rather than flat running where you just plod along and let your mind drift. Both are good for different reasons, but give me a trail any day.

Have found our rental for Spain until we find somewhere to live. I've been creating a bit of a blog in GD, but here's the link. Next to a couple punchy looking hills, so looking forward to exploring :D

Last edited:

OG

OG

Associate
Awesome stuff. Running on technical ground is so much fun. There's no switching off and i find you get to really focus on the run rather than flat running where you just plod along and let your mind drift. Both are good for different reasons, but give me a trail any day.

Have found our rental for Spain until we find somewhere to live. I've been creating a bit of a blog in GD, but here's the link. Next to a couple punchy looking hills, so looking forward to exploring :D
Small world, I was following your thread in GD. My grandparents have lived in Hondon De Les Frailes for nearly 20 years, there are some fantastic running routes around there but the past few summers I've been out there it's been way too hot for running so just lounged by their pool!

Soldato
Small world, I was following your thread in GD. My grandparents have lived in Hondon De Les Frailes for nearly 20 years, there are some fantastic running routes around there but the past few summers I've been out there it's been way too hot for running so just lounged by their pool!

Haha very small world! Maybe next time you're our we can meet up for a run!

That is a concern, it was hot enough mid day back in May. I need to get a lot better at getting up early to run whilst it's a little cooler. Either that or get myself a treadmill and an AC unit in the face!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm just doing 3km daily run at the moment since being back from Romania until bank holiday weekend when off to Isle of Skye, see how body copes with a shorter daily run.

Soldato
managed to get 20 miles in last week. This week did 4 on Tuesday but later on strained my back doing some laundry (2nd bloody time!), wednesday i could barely walk. Thursday movement was there but a tadge stiff and on Friday it felt mostly fine. I was planning on 22 miles this week so did 10 yesterday and my back was ok, hip was a bit achy. Rest day today and i'll do 8 tomorrow to get it to the 22 miles. Think i'll need to grab a water bladder as i finished my water by mile 8. i have 2 500ml flasks with tailwind in one and water in the other and both were gone. I sweat a lot which is probs why i tend to drink a lot.
Got a Montane 12l running vest which for me is much better than the salomon ones for the fit. Also didn't have any issues loading it up. I'm trying to run with the mandatory kit i have purchased as early as possible.
Also went trying on some shoes, best in terms or stopping the over pronation on one foot were between the hoka arahi and the asics kayano. I went with the Arahi as it feels lighter, bonus it was like £80 cheaper than the asics.
The Asics Nimbus felt good and was better than my current shoes but not quite as good as the Arahi for getting my ankle where it needs to be.
Really do recommend Pete Bland Sports in Kendal, i think they spent around an hour with me a week back and another hour this week which makes it worth the 50 mins drive there and 50 mins back.
Only thing i found with the Hoka shoes is that i got a couple of hot spots but not to be unexpected given it was their first outing.

Soldato
Good stuff. Pete Bland always get highly regarded.

I’m quite a fan of the Arahi 6 that I have too. They fit much better than the Clifton’s for me.

Interesting on the Solomon va Montane packs. I’m always too cheap so stick with Decathlon stuff!
I tried cliftons I didn't mind them. Tried saucony tempus too but they were not anything special.
I have the salomon adv skin 5 which isnt big enough for the kit and I found the fastening a pain, lots of messing to get it fit right and when I got in you could see red marks from the fastening.
When I was in Pete bland last Friday I tried on 2 ultimate directions and a couple of inov-8 ones then tried the latest montane. Montane is simple in fastening and was comfy. Downside was the cost which was £130 but they had last model in the warehouse for £65 so puts it cheaper than harriers offering when you count in the bottles. I think the newer model has improved the fastening but it is still OK on the old version.
I'll put my other 3 running shoes and the salomon vest on ebay should get come of the cost of the new trainers etc paid for

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well had the knee op last Monday, that all went well, 2 scares about 10mm long on the knee, took a good 3 or 4 days to get over the antestiv but the knee has given no pain whatsoever, very strange but whatever they have done it doesn't hurt as much :)

Soldato
Awesome stuff. Glad it's feeling better.

Just had my guided cortisone injection. This guy thinks it wasn't bursitis after all, but a Mortons Neuroma. A lot of youtube had led me towards that, but the podiatrist said it wasn't. So annoying to not just get a straight diagnosis confirmation. Either way, he used the ultrasound thingy to inject a load of stuff in my foot, so am hoping it's a fix.
He's said no running for 2 weeks though :(

Associate
Blergh... looked at the first diagram and gave up. maybe this injection will solve it all. I took my running stuff to France with me and then left it in the cupboard for two weeks and drank wine instead ;)

Soldato
Blergh... looked at the first diagram and gave up. maybe this injection will solve it all. I took my running stuff to France with me and then left it in the cupboard for two weeks and drank wine instead ;)

That tactic gets no complaints from me!

My wife clearly knows me well, we were sat on the sofa last night and she said "You're going to be miserable and really irritating for the next 2 weeks aren't you"

Soldato
runnings been a bit miserable over the last week. I did 22 miles a couple of weeks back which was my third week of building mileage... 18/20/22 and on the Monday last week i played football on my rest day as usual but calves were cramping and shins started to ache. On Tuesday went for 4 miles easy (Zone 2 11-12 min miles) and was aching so bad i had to ice up. On thursday i was still achy so got the push bike out and did 12 miles, Friday i did 18 and i will head out today for another 12 on the bike. Shins and calves are no longer aching. The mileage on the bike is going off 3 miles biking equivalent of 1 mile running (according to the web). Today is the last session of my rest week. Back to building mileage starting at 20 mpw, not sure if the aching was part of the build up or i've over done it.
I have recently got rid of my adios pro 3s, selling my noosa tris and the nike invincibles and swapped for Hoka Arahi 6 so i'm hoping this will help. Just lacking a more up tempo shoe for the odd park run, 10k/ 1/2 marathon, been trying to see if there are any stable up tempo shoes as most are clunky rubbish. Got a pair of Hoka Carbon X 3 on the way, they get good reviews from a stable point of view just not sure on the fit as they might be too tight width wise. If these turn out to be no good will try the brooks hyperion elite 3 or try Crafts ctm ultra rebel race. All 3 shoes are not like proper super shoes so could be used for tempo training and race days along with some long mileage.

It was nice to get out on the bike too for a change so might add that into my training in the place of one of my runs if calves/shins remain a problem. i would guess that bike miles are still good for long distance running.

Back
Top Bottom