What do you think of 'Banksy'?

Soldato
OP
Another thing I find strange is there are never any witnesses to him doing the work. I assume he comes very well prepared so he is in and out quite quickly, but still, in the middle of a residential area you'd think someone would see it.

Soldato
Same.

I've never understood the art that's simple/easy but gets all the hype.

Roof of sistine chapel? - amazing.
A banana taped to a wall? - no

Personally I think it's a world where those in it have so much money they need something to spend it on. An "artist" gets hyped up. And all of a sudden, for some reason, that "art" is valued.

Of course, but what does have an intrinsic rather than extrinsic value?

Bitcoin, art, antiques...all have value that changes drastically dependant on the sentiment of the people trading them.

Soldato
Another thing I find strange is there are never any witnesses to him doing the work. I assume he comes very well prepared so he is in and out quite quickly, but still, in the middle of a residential area you'd think someone would see it.

Simple stencil graffiti can take literally 30 seconds or less, maybe 3 or 4 minutes for something complicated with a few different stencil layers - it's not hard to go unnoticed for a few minutes

Soldato
Even getting ladders off the van etc? It's quite high up what's he's done there with the tree.

The green on that hasn't been stencilled on I don't think, looks more like that's been thrown/sprayed/squirted on, probably from ground level. Again, doubt it needed him to be there more than a few minutes.

Soldato
I've seen similar stencils for decades and none of them have made the leap to fame, despite similar quality of execution.

It has value simply because of the brand.

Someone has promoted the hell out of his work to create a perception of value.

Soldato
I wish he wouldn't reveal its his art. I think he used to not do that right? Aren't there some pieces he's done that have been trashed and then he's later come out and said it was his work.

I prefer it people appreciate it for what it is, let it be ruined naturally, rather than it being deliberately targeted due it being a genuine Banksy piece.

Last edited:
Associate
I like him and really enjoyed Dismaland a few years ago. There is a vast difference between graffiti and tagging which it what you usually see all over the shop. A lot of places actively encourage proper graffiti albeit in agreed locations and not random walls.

Last edited:
Soldato
What do I think about him? Not much I certainly don't think he's some kind of hero like many seem to think listened to that series on Radio 2 about him over the previous few weeks. Learnt a bit more about him didn't change my opinion much basically a graffiti artist who had the nous to leverage open the art market. Says he makes money for charity but how much does he keep and how much is he worth? Unknown. People who knew him seem to be awfully loyal despite getting shafted basically.

Confirmed Banksy artwork is worth a lot money and draws tourists to the area.

Other graffiti artists do not.

Simple as that really.

Why someone decided Banksy was worthy of all the fawning over though? Not really sure I can answer that.

The art World is alien to me.
Money., basically. Once you crack the "I'm worth investing in" puzzle then anything will sell, apparently. Its all in the recognition.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to be a really big graffiti fan and followed a bunch of artists, now only one or two. But I love the art of say Rusl where the graffiti is real art and mainly word/letter based.
Banksy whilst having a few reasonable politcial/social observations in his work just sucks to me. I genuinely don't know why people think he's any good or buy into it. There are better artists selling mass produced stickers on Redbubble than the crap he/they paint and stencil onto stuff.

Soldato
It's turned in to a circus. Everyone is out to make a statement and it ends in chaos. A bit like the internet, really. Give the people a park and an orange box and it ends in fighting. And they wonder why freedom of speech is a bad idea.
And if the authorities did their job and sorted those who break the law, it wouldn't end up like this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom