NHS=Negligent Health Service

Man of Honour
Go private they said eh?

Guess what I said:
What most of the public also don't realise is that the reason private healthcare is so cheap is because of the NHS.
If routine treatment develops complications...said patient would simply be bunged in the back of an NHS ambulance to be sent into an NHS hospital for emergency treatment.
If there were no NHS and emergency care had to be provided by these private companies... private insurance would be as expensive as the US.

Suspended
My 73yo Dad had half of his upper body completely bruised and he couldn't eat for days. He said he felt too sick to go into hospital, but we managed to convince him. It turned out the flu type virus he had, made him cough so hard that he suffered a double hernia and 2 of his ribs became unattached. The NHS service he got I felt was really attentive. He had a single room and whenever I called him he seemed to have constant attention from nurses, doctors, physiotherapists. The NHS isn't perfect and it's a slow moving system but it saved his life and for that I have to be thankful.

Commissario
My dad's been in hospital for the last two weeks and the staff have been great whilst they've been running all sorts of tests (he went in on a blue light for one thing, and they've basically kept him in whilst they try and work out another).

Some of the other patients however would try the patience of a saint with their antics (one guy was listening to music on his phone and singing along at 3am, another guy is watching the iplayer on his with the volume raised right up).
I think the quietest ward he was on was Cardiology, where they've got a reassuring note up on the performance board where they have things like staff numbers, evaluations and staff worries and apparently the biggest worry of the staff is "Aging cardiac monitors":eek: followed by "junior staff".

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Some of the other patients however would try the patience of a saint with their antics (one guy was listening to music on his phone and singing along at 3am, another guy is watching the iplayer on his with the volume raised right up).

We had a horrible one last year.
On a Ward a patient was on a bed with both his legs up in slings because he had major trauma to them.
He must have upset another patient who pulled him off the bed onto the floor :(

Soldato
I'm at the end of my tether with the NHS because of my sister - I'm sure the consultants are doing their best but there is absolutely no consistency and when locums are involved, they don't seem to know what has happened beforehand. Every appointment is like starting anew and everything has to be explained to them. My sis going to A&E every week for a drip is not acceptable and the only reason she’s getting a scan is because I pushed her to pester her GP.

Is NHS IT really that crap that consultants can't see previous appointment notes outside of test results? A lot seems to be missed.

Sigh. Rant over.

EDIT: cut ranty post down.

Last edited:
Associate
surely the problem with the NHS was that it was not designed for the huge population that has exploded in your country? I remember reading that the shops said the "true" population of the UK was significantly higher than reported based on food consumption. If 100 people are using a doctor whereas previously it was 30 it's going to grind to a halt as it's too expensive to keep expanding a very expensive healthcare with tax pot that isn't probably that healthy.

I prefer the system here I pay around 350 CHF a month with a large deductible. Suits me fine as I thank God don't need healthcare but if I did it's going to be amazing. More functional and direct than a vague taxation.

Man of Honour
Is NHS IT really that crap that consultants can't see previous appointment notes outside of test results? A lot seems to be missed.

We have a system called iPortal and I can see 3 million patients and all their journeys with all appointments and Medisec Letters.
There is a Results section and this includes out of the hospital test results.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm at the end of my tether with the NHS because of my sister - I'm sure the consultants are doing their best but there is absolutely no consistency and when locums are involved, they don't seem to know what has happened beforehand. Every appointment is like starting anew and everything has to be explained to them. Going to A&E every week for a drip is not acceptable.

Is NHS IT really that crap that consultants can't see previous appointment notes? A lot seems to be missed.

I'm seriously concerned that she is going to die of malnutrition before they sort this crap out. Actually I'm going to take control of the situation and go private to make sure that doesn't happen, but I am so angry about the situation that I am struggling to put it into words. As I said in another thread, I am incandescent and actually afraid for anyone that is desperate for treatment to ensure that they don't die.

It feels like all this nonsense is planned and as if they want all the plebs to just sod off so they don't have to pay them benefits, pensions etc.

Envy of the world my dirty a**ehole.

If you want another example, she was in so much pain and so desperate that she got a GP appointment. A year on Omeprazole (which is terrible anyway) and he told her to take Gaviscon. THERE IS HARDLY ANY STOMACH ACID TO COUNTER YOU MORON. 80mg a day is mental and will reduce acid production to almost nothing. No wonder she is like a zombie.

Also I don’t want her getting osteoporosis because a PPI was prescribed out of laziness.

Shoot me.
It won’t be a case that previous appointment notes are not available, more so that the clinician isn’t thoroughly looking prior to her attending. Whether that’s due to time pressure or negligence who knows.

In this instance I think you'd be fully justified to take your concerns to PALS who can look into what's happening for you.

Soldato
It won’t be a case that previous appointment notes are not available, more so that the clinician isn’t thoroughly looking prior to her attending. Whether that’s due to time pressure or negligence who knows.

In this instance I think you'd be fully justified to take your concerns to PALS who can look into what's happening for you.
Yeah I can understand the system is broken and the consultants are under massive pressure but it's immensely frustrating. It really isn't helping that she never sees the same GP or consultant.

Thanks for that - we'll see how this scan the previous GP has arranged goes, and how the further tests from the consultant go and if it seems like a dead end that's something to consider.

Like I say, in all honesty I'll probably just pull out savings so she can go private if this doesn't go anywhere. Sorry for ranting :(

Last edited:
Soldato
surely the problem with the NHS was that it was not designed for the huge population that has exploded in your country? I remember reading that the shops said the "true" population of the UK was significantly higher than reported based on food consumption. If 100 people are using a doctor whereas previously it was 30 it's going to grind to a halt as it's too expensive to keep expanding a very expensive healthcare with tax pot that isn't probably that healthy.

I prefer the system here I pay around 350 CHF a month with a large deductible. Suits me fine as I thank God don't need healthcare but if I did it's going to be amazing. More functional and direct than a vague taxation.
None of the politicians ever seem to want to talk about that because it'd shine light on their massive incompetence. :)

I've heard about the Swiss system - I may be wrong but it seems you're screwed if you can't afford those contributions so it's not perfect either. I don't know what the answer is for the NHS but I do think we should be looking elsewhere at what works with a view to root and branch reform. I'm just baffled at how it's still some sort of sacred cow that must not be touched.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm just baffled at how it's still some sort of sacred cow that must not be touched.
I don’t think the sacred cow issue is about not being touched. They have often “touched it” with whole load of reforms, most often these have led to worsening issues as they touch it with their politicians ****** stick not understanding what they are doing. No politician wants to suggest co-payment though, as they (probably rightly) feel they will be booted out of office by doing so.

Commissario
We had a horrible one last year.
On a Ward a patient was on a bed with both his legs up in slings because he had major trauma to them.
He must have upset another patient who pulled him off the bed onto the floor :(

I can't imagine how much he must have annoyed someone for that to happen, unless the other person was a bit of a nut and it was something utterly trivial.

I expect that must have been a fun one for the hospital to sort out, as the hospital has a duty of care but at the same time has to try and treat everyone, doesn't have the space, staff or wish to reward PITA's with an isolated bed and can't monitor every bay/bed 24/7 (the guy near my dad actually had security sat looking utterly bored out of his skull watching him for at least a day, and when there was a security shift change one of the nursing assistants ended up sat wasting her time for a good hour or two whilst they waited for a replacement security guy).

None of the politicians ever seem to want to talk about that because it'd shine light on their massive incompetence. :)

I've heard about the Swiss system - I may be wrong but it seems you're screwed if you can't afford those contributions so it's not perfect either. I don't know what the answer is for the NHS but I do think we should be looking elsewhere at what works with a view to root and branch reform. I'm just baffled at how it's still some sort of sacred cow that must not be touched.
As Heed says, it's not that it shouldn't be touched, it's that every time any government tries to change it, certainly in the last 15 years it's made things much worse.

The changes I would make are pretty simple.
Make changes to the pay and conditions to improve them, not constantly cut them (IIRC Hunt the culture* effectively gave hospital doctors and nurses a 20% pay cut by insisting on below inflation pay rises), pay for these by basically removing agency nursing over time - when you're potentially paying an emergency agency the equivalent to a weeks wage for a nurse to cover a single shift that's a huge amount, especially when it's become routine, you'd be far better to pay the existing staff a couple of pounds an hour more to try and make it worth them staying as "staff", as if you're having to get an agency nurse in every day/shift that could cover an awful lot of additional pay for the other nurses on those shifts.

I'd remove fees for anyone who wishes to train to be a doctor or a nurse and ongoing training fees, the flipside being they sign a contract stating that they will once qualified as a doctor or a nurse work in the NHS for say 10 years, or pay back a decreasing amount of their tuition fees (the longer you work for the NHS the lower the amount to be repaid). At worst a doctor or nurse is no worse off than they are now, but whilst they are working for the NHS they're not paying any tuition fees thus giving them an effective, quite substantial pay rise and if they decide to leave the NHS to work elsewhere the government gets the same payback they would now.

Improve placements for doctors and nurses, as I understand it at the moment if you're a trainee/junior doctor or nurse you can basically be told to move to the other side of the country (pretty much regardless of family circumstances) at very short notice for the next 6-12 months.

Do away with a lot of the arbitrary targets.

Insist that any new large planning application for housing developments includes a fee, paid up front to help cover the cost of say a new walk in clinic or improving medical facilities at an existing GP and dental practice. In our area they've built something like 5-10k new homes in the last 25 years (huge housing estates in all directions), every time there has been talk of the developers paying towards things like a new walk in clinic, or building something in the development suitable for say a medical centre etc (usually as part of the planning application they include something like that), every single time they "forget" or plead "the housing market is bad, we're barely making a profit" and get away with it** just after they've finished building the last house.
It's utterly insane that you can basically increase a towns population by 25-50% in the space of a few decades but do nothing to improve the access to basic medical facilities.

Build and fund more local walk in clinics, and encourage the likes of the local GP's to work together to staff them out of normal hours - IIRC that's already done voluntarily by a lot of practices but they're not really getting funded for it and a lot of surgeries don't have the equipment, space or sufficient staff to really do it.

I just picked my dad up this morning (he was making jokes about jumping the fence whilst I was pushing his wheelchair), and the staff at the hospital were brilliant, and apparently one of the doctors was quite surprised when in response to his comment that he needed my dad to get a blood test at the GP's practice on X day and complaint at how long it took/how the GP's practices often didn't get the results back to them in time, that my dad suggested "My son can bring me in here to get the test if that helps".
About 90 minutes later I'm at the GP's practice making arrangements for my dad to have an injection tomorrow, and I overhear one of the receptionists commenting they've had a hell of a morning as they're two staff down due to sickness and have had to cancel all the blood tests which was upsetting patients (and I'm thinking, yeah probably just as well my dad volunteered me to take him to the hospital for it:p).

*technically a yeast infection, or mrsi swab is a culture...

**I notice that when the local Tesco wanted to expand the council held them to a very different standard. From memory they required Tesco to pay for refurbishment of a bridge that was one of two main access ways to the store, major changes to the road leading to it, and IIRC redoing the pavements and some artwork for the town centre, all completed before any work started on the expansion to the store from memory.

Last edited:
Caporegime
How much is Ibuprofen? must be about 20chf by now? in a UK supermarket the equivalent is probably about 3-4chf

Some things about Switzerland are amazing, other things not so much

Everyone seems to go for family walks, everyone loves nature.
I bet people in Switzerland are just a hell of a lot fitter on average and have better diets.

Last edited:
Soldato
How much is Ibuprofen? must be about 20chf by now? in a UK supermarket the equivalent is probably about 3-4chf

Some things about Switzerland are amazing, other things not so much

Everyone seems to go for family walks, everyone loves nature.
I bet people in Switzerland are just a hell of a lot fitter on average and have better diets.
A lot of European countries, you cannot buy paracetamol and ibuprofen in supermarkets, its chemists. Plus the cheapest pack is €2. As have relatives live in France and Spain. They buy about a dozen packs when visiting friends and family in the UK.

Another thing with chemists in European countries, many more are open til 10pm- midnight. Unlike Leicester where there was just ONE open when I needed one after visiting an urgent care unit and a PITA to park near there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Going through my medical letters file, noticed that I should had appointments for both consultants at the eye department - one for vision and one for my ultra rare inherited skin condition on and around eyes and eyelids.

Yesterday, couldn't get through to the eye department or general booking line. Tried this morning and got appointments 9 days apart. Too bad one of them is when I am working. You can't be picky with appointments these days.

Soldato
2 years on from moaning in this thread about needing to change GPs due to not being in their catchment area and discovering I don't belong in any catchment area, I think I may have struck gold with the one that let me sign on anyway with today being the first time needing to use them. I didn't call first thing when they opened as I was on the fence of needing it, no rude receptionist, a phone appointment 1 hour later, prescription promptly identified and filled and collected. I don't think my experience could have been improved.

Caporegime
Incompetence is now described as "An honest mistake"

Emergency consultant Ahmad Alabood called the tragedy an 'honest mistake because [staff] were rushing' when the unit was 'over-stretched and over-crowded'.
Too busy to read the NHS numberm or the sex.... or anything but DNR
and people want Euthanasia in the NHS....
In her narrative conclusion this week, coroner Kate Bisset said: 'I am satisfied Mrs Dawson would not have died, at that point, if the care she had received had been different.'

She said failings included the crucial error in checking the wrong patient's notes, failure to record tests that Mrs Dawson received in hospital and staff not following correct sepsis and abdominal care procedures.

She was a retired nurse too.... NHS no decency or respect for anyone... just cattle, don';t even read peoples names, sexes , nhs numbers... just pure incompetence presuming the correct notes are next to the correct time waster

Last edited:
Soldato
Incompetence is now described as "An honest mistake"

Too busy to read the NHS numberm or the sex.... or anything but DNR
and people want Euthanasia in the NHS....

She was a retired nurse too.... NHS no decency or respect for anyone... just cattle, don';t even read peoples names, sexes , nhs numbers... just pure incompetence presuming the correct notes are next to the correct time waster

Can't help but think these issues are down in part to daft shift patterns and lack of sleep. Add in under staffing and overcrowding and you have created a perfect storm.

We spend a lot less per head on the NHS than other EU countries and it shows. The last 14 years of Tory government have just been terrible for all public services.

Yes - we need to pay more tax, but if we get services that work well replacing the need for private care we will all be better off.

Soldato
I am trying to change an appointment. Before I used to ring a special number and it took me to the nurses for them to come out. But now that number takes me to a switchboard and they send me to another number that nobody picks up and I have to leave a message on the answer phone.

Does anyone actually listen to those messages and ring back? Because so far every time I've had to leave a message nobody calls me back.

I'll call again tomorrow if I don't hear anything today.

Back
Top Bottom