Doing a spot of hiking

Caporegime
So now that we live in Godalming (dahling) we want to do some more outdoorsy stuff, which includes the odd walking trail / hike.

Last weekend we did a short little trail at Newland's Corner and enjoyed it which means we now have to go completely overboard and spend thousands of pounds on kit we're going to use once or twice, stick in the cupboard and never use again.

I've got a little backpack which I'll use for snacks and stuff, but I need to know what else to order. We're planning a 12km hike this weekend (which we're gonna take slowly obvs, we're a bit porky) but I'd like to do it semi-properly.

Any suggestions for gear, apps, foods, or general hiking stuff appreciated.

@413x I belive this is your time to shine :D

Cheers!

Soldato
Decent fitting walking shoes / boots.

Couldn't believe how much more I enjoyed hiking and how much less my feet would ache when I ditched an old pair of Karrimor boots I had bought on a whim with a decent pair of Salomon boots.

Other than that, one of the next best purchases is a little foam mat to sit on when stopping for lunch.

If you find you start to take it more seriously and going on longer hikes, to larger hills / mountains etc. then a half decent water bladder is convenient vs bottles.

AllTrails I find useful for scoping places to go.

Caporegime
12km is almost nothing you can do it in normal clothing appropriate for the weather.

if your talking flat trails that run next to a river etc, it's not really hiking its going for a walk

Caporegime
12km is almost nothing you can do it in normal clothing appropriate for the weather.

if your talking flat trails that run next to a river etc, it's not really hiking its going for a walk

1*0FvVkar9_mMgffxgZC2GgQ.png

Caporegime
bro I used to go cycling a lot on the kind of trails the op is likely talking about.

Every time guaranteed multiple dog walkers in normal clothing who are walking a 6 mile loop, none of them have anything special with them.

I sometimes saw busloads of old people doing the same route.

Got a decent pair of trainers and a light weight coat ? maybe a 600ml bottle of water and a small snack.

Last edited:
Soldato

It's plenty for someone who hasn't done much walking before and is being sensible about working themselves up to distances and terrains that might satisfy your criteria to be deemed hiking.

Caporegime
So now that we live in Godalming (dahling) we want to do some more outdoorsy stuff, which includes the odd walking trail / hike.

Last weekend we did a short little trail at Newland's Corner and enjoyed it which means we now have to go completely overboard and spend thousands of pounds on kit we're going to use once or twice, stick in the cupboard and never use again.

I've got a little backpack which I'll use for snacks and stuff, but I need to know what else to order. We're planning a 12km hike this weekend (which we're gonna take slowly obvs, we're a bit porky) but I'd like to do it semi-properly.

Any suggestions for gear, apps, foods, or general hiking stuff appreciated.

@413x I belive this is your time to shine :D

Cheers!

Sweet! Lovely getting out.

For a 12km single trip I'd take.

[Osprey hikelite 18] backpack
Containing:
-1.5L water bladder (so I can drink without faffing with a bottle in and out of my pack)
-snacks/food. Probably my [Sho] food container with a hot huel meal in it. And a small flask for hot tea. I'd take a banana too. But I would not dip it in the tea.. You freak.. You know who you are!
Power bank!

Clothes very much weather dependant.
If def going to be dry I wouldn't take much.
For now?

Top:
Mid layer:
Either one of my [arc'teryx atom] ([arc'teryx Proton] if it's really windy, amazing kit. I had only my Proton and a baselayer in Norway in -10 wind chill) windbreaker or a thin [rab/mountain equipment/odlo] etc fleece layer. Probably both as they are light.
Probably just a sports tshirt, or a super thin wool base layer. (thin wool is amazing in that it doesn't smell if you get hot!)

Shorts, pretty much anything. I have some [Adidas 365] Golf shorts that are nice and light. If I'm going into overgrown paths I have a thicker pair of [craghopper] type shorts.
Leggings. I have various thicknesses. Right now? Paper thin [acai ones] . Its so warm sometimes that I may even mid walk take my leggings off and just leave my shorts. That's why I take both. But so far I've kept them on (watch out ladies).

If there's risk of rain
I take a pair of [Revolution race] waterproof trousers and thin outer layer [rab/arc'teryx] waterproof shell.
My leggings are fine for light rain, but I usually take my raincoat shell if there's any risk of rain

For footwear I have
-hoka trail code Gtx (for cold + wet weather) - these are too hot for now.
-Icebug Gtx trail Trainers - for spring/summer + rain
-hoka speedgoat 5 trail trainers - spring summer + dry
I have flat feet and walking boots have killed my feet in 2 miles. So trainer type boots or shoes are my go to. I'll never buy traditional boots again.

Apps?
I use komoot and Google maps.
Many like all trails.
What3words is good to have.

How much have I spent?
Let's just say that I have more than one multi hundred pound rain coat.. Just so I can have more than one colour! :D

Caporegime
It's plenty for someone who hasn't done much walking before and is being sensible about working themselves up to distances and terrains that might satisfy your criteria to be deemed hiking.
yea but its not at a level where you need to buy anything special its just a long walk.
e8fB93d.jpeg
jnGOvEi.jpeg

Most of my walks are 4-5miles though I do 2 a day in normal trainers, jeans and a coat.

occasionally I'lll stretch out a long walk

fJ98Zva.jpeg

13.3km
you just need a bottle of water and a small snack

Tracking all my stats with a Huawei gt4 really cheap smart watch but not much worse than a 800quid garmin.

Last edited:
Soldato
yea but its not at a level where you need to buy anything special its just a long walk.

No but it's at a level where it's useful to break things in, get used to what works for you and what doesn't etc. before you step it up and then realise trainers and a can of coke don't cut it anymore or worse still, find it makes the whole thing unenjoyable and you just stop doing it entirely.

Caporegime
e8fB93d.jpeg
jnGOvEi.jpeg

Most of my walks are 4-5miles though I do 2 a day in normal trainers, jeans and a coat.

occasionally I'lll stretch out a long walk

fJ98Zva.jpeg

13.3km
you just need a bottle of water and a small snack

If you're going 12k you need good waterproof/wind protection.

Getting wet on mile 1 is no fun.

Caporegime
This is my typical UK winter setup for a day.
And an excuse for explicit image! :D

Osprey hikelite 18 backpack
Arc'teryx proton (seriously amazing bit of kit. I can wear that - 10c to +10c)
Acai thermal leggings (I also wore just those in - 10 wind chill in Norway).. Too hot for those now.
Hoka trail code Gtx boots.
Some thermal socks.

Pic from south Wales

zhW3jNU.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom