Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
Apparently they need six teams to back it: Williams, Sauber, Alpine and Haas are surely all going to back it. Alpha Tauri should back it, but they're Red Bull puppets so they won't back it unless Red Bull do, and I think Red Bull are one of the least likely teams to back it.

So I guess we need two out of Merc, McLaren, Aston, and Ferrari to back it. Merc probably will, since they tend to be willing to do stuff to help the smaller teams and they have a good relationship with Williams. Ferrari probably won't, I think, and I really have no idea which way McLaren will fall. Aston should realise that it will benefit Stroll.
Why do you think Red Bull wouldn't back it, I can't see how it would affect them in a negative way..
Also Autosport are saying only five teams are required https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f...s-on-course-to-get-support-it-needs/10602004/

Caporegime
Why do you think Red Bull wouldn't back it, I can't see how it would affect them in a negative way..

Red Bull are pretty cautious towards this stuff generally, and quite mercenary about voting only in their own interests (which is fair enough, imo).

Hmm. The source I linked said six of ten teams, but that one suggests that it's six including the FOM in the voting. I don't know which is correct.

Soldato
Red Bull are pretty cautious towards this stuff generally, and quite mercenary about voting only in their own interests (which is fair enough, imo).

Hmm. The source I linked said six of ten teams, but that one suggests that it's six including the FOM in the voting. I don't know which is correct.
As there are 10 teams in F1 then I guess the majority would need to be six on paper, unless if the voting is split then perhaps they've a way to resolve it somehow.

Man of Honour
Relatively few do, I think, and it's never just luck. Hülkenberg has been unlucky, but I think he's been there long enough and had good enough cars at time that not landing a podium by now is very much down to him. A win a little less so.
Such a shame though. I certainly had high hopes for him after his A1GP season where he was an absolute monster.

Caporegime
I don't think anyone is discounting his ability, his timing has just been really poor. He'd just signed for Renault when Rosberg quit and I reckon if he was available Mercedes would've jumped at the chance for another German driver. Or at least one who was born there and grew up there.

Associate
I don't think anyone is discounting his ability, his timing has just been really poor. He'd just signed for Renault when Rosberg quit and I reckon if he was available Mercedes would've jumped at the chance for another German driver. Or at least one who was born there and grew up there.
It's definitely a shame that he hasn't had a decent opportunity. I'd at least rate him above the likes of Bottas and Perez.

Caporegime
He had some pretty rubbish luck that season, with several retirements. All things even it was 50/50.

Hmm, I mean you could maybe make that argument for one season, but Pérez also beat him in 2015 by a similar margin (and Pérez also got a podium that year) - although to be fair Nico did better Pérez in 2014 (although Sergio again got a podium and Nico didn't). 2-1 across three seasons, and four podiums for Pérez vs zero for Nico. I think that's a pretty solid win for Pérez.

I think Hülkenberg gets overestimated because he's a good qualifier - and indeed outqualified Pérez in all three seasons they were together - but he just isn't that impressive on race day. Throughout his career you see this: good Saturdays followed by ordinary Sundays; whereas Pérez is the opposite. He's not a great qualifier, but he's strong on race day - especially when he's asked to make an alternative strategy work. Since races matter more than qualifying, Checo is - in my opinion - the better driver

Incidentally, I think that's part of why Sergio isn't impressing at Red Bull: his real skill is in managing tyres. In a midfield car that skill lets him make the alternative strategy work and get some impressive results when luck swings his way; but the Red Bull is fast, good on tyres, and usually leading the pack which means that there's no need to try alternative strategies and hope for luck.

Soldato
And Red Bull will only need a reliable engine that’s 95% as good as the Mercedes one to win races if Red Bull maintains their chassis and aero advantages over the other teams in 2026.
This is the thing. Not only have they got Newey's apparent skills but they had a large chunk of time where their only means to try and catch the teams in front was to optimise their design and aero. So its no wonder they are now the best at it by some margin.

Last edited:
Don
F1 Silly Season in full swing:

Hulkenberg strongly linked to Audi

Pierre Gasly looking at Williams move

Ocon or Gasly also a likely option if Sainz does not go to Audi

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Design chief Newey set to leave Red Bull

el Beeb said:
Red Bull design chief Adrian Newey is to leave the team in the wake of the controversy involving allegations about team principal Christian Horner.

Newey, regarded as the greatest Formula 1 designer in history, has told Red Bull he wants to move on, BBC Sport has learned.

The 65-year-old has been unsettled by the situation at Red Bull since Horner was accused of sexual harassment and coercive, abusive behaviour by a female employee, which Horner denies.

Red Bull and Newey did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

*Ohmygoditshappening.gif*

Associate
it's starting be reported that Adrian Newey is set to leave RBR, according to Auto Motor und Sport. He's supposedly unhappy about the current power struggle thats going on.

damnit JRS :D just as i am about to hit post lol

Edit #2
Next question is will Max stay and if not where will he go

Last edited:
Soldato
Edit #2
Next question is will Max stay and if not where will he go
If Newey goes to Ferrari then Max is screwed after this year. Will almost certainly go down as a 4x champion but can't see Ferrari booting out Leclerc for Max nor Lewis letting that happen. Wonder if Lewis has a clause in his contract allowing him to refuse a potential teammate or a No Max clause?

If Newey goes to Mercedes then Max follows him to Mercedes and, assuming Newey works his magic, keeps racking up the championships.

Big stuff. I can't see Red Bull staying at the top much like how Williams dropped in 1998 when Newey had left in 1996/1997. BBC article says Ferrari and Aston Martin after Newey but all teams will be in for him now they know he's leaving Red Bull. Would lol for a month if Vowles somehow tempts Newey back to Williams and makes him technical director or something like that.

Can Newey just resign? Sure he'll have a notice period but don't Red Bull have some kind of clause in his contract saying if he resigns he can't sign for another F1 team for x months? Or has to pay up the rest of his contract for a swift move? Will Red Bull be able to put Newey on 'gardening leave'?

Soldato
If Newey goes to Ferrari then Max is screwed after this year. Will almost certainly go down as a 4x champion but can't see Ferrari booting out Leclerc for Max nor Lewis letting that happen. Wonder if Lewis has a clause in his contract allowing him to refuse a potential teammate or a No Max clause?

If Newey goes to Mercedes then Max follows him to Mercedes and, assuming Newey works his magic, keeps racking up the championships.

Big stuff. I can't see Red Bull staying at the top much like how Williams dropped in 1998 when Newey had left in 1996/1997. BBC article says Ferrari and Aston Martin after Newey but all teams will be in for him now they know he's leaving Red Bull. Would lol for a month if Vowles somehow tempts Newey back to Williams and makes him technical director or something like that.

Can Newey just resign? Sure he'll have a notice period but don't Red Bull have some kind of clause in his contract saying if he resigns he can't sign for another F1 team for x months? Or has to pay up the rest of his contract for a swift move? Will Red Bull be able to put Newey on 'gardening leave'?

Not sure how the competitor clause would work but I'm sure the likes of Ferrari would be more than happy to buy him out of his contract.

Soldato
Wouldn't be surprised to see Newey just retire from F1 if these reports are true - he's just capped off his career delivering one of the most dominant cars the sport has ever seen, I'm sure he's not short of a few quid by now and he'll have plenty of opportunity to jump into 'fun' projects if he finds life a bit too dull playing golf.

Back
Top Bottom