How to: Mac Mini Media Centre

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date
Soldato
An alternative non-Apple version is to use the Linux or Windows 7 version of XBMC on an Acer Revo (only about £130). Note the Windows version of XBMC does not have hardware acceleration at the moment. The Linux (ubuntu) based version has all the acceleration and can do 1080 without issues.

So if a mini is too much for your pocket then a Revo is another option - the XBMC looks and behaves identically to Plex.

Soldato
With the news I have a job.. mmuusstt resist getting an mini :D (almost bought one in town but they didn't have them in stock - John Lewis).

Associate
what file formats/codecs does xbmc support? divx/xvid and mkv?

Can you also make it sync your itunes library and iphoto/aperture down to it as well? I've being considering an apple TV but i dont think it plays many formats.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
what file formats/codecs does xbmc support? divx/xvid and mkv?

Can you also make it sync your itunes library and iphoto/aperture down to it as well? I've being considering an apple TV but i dont think it plays many formats.

IIRC it supports the same formats as VLC.

In fact I don't think there is a format it doesn't support. Not that I know of anyway. Also, it will automatically load your iTunes and iPhoto/Aperture libraries so no need to worry :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
IIRC it supports the same formats as VLC.

In fact I don't think there is a format it doesn't support. Not that I know of anyway. Also, it will automatically load your iTunes and iPhoto/Aperture libraries so no need to worry :)

Will it sync an itunes library from another mac? I'd have my itunes lib and aperture photos on my macbook, and a mac mini by the TV which wouldnt have anything on it.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Yes. Just "add source" and navigate to where that library is stored.

Of course you'd have to have file sharing enabled.

I store my iTunes and iPhoto on a DroboPro (NAS). The Mac Mini has no media on it :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Using VNC to Remote Control Plex on an iPhone

OS X has some nifty VNC built in, however it is weirdly referred to as "Screen Sharing" in the System Preferences.

By enabling screen sharing you can use an iPhone as remote control with Plex, through an application called HippoRemote (iTunes link) (link)

Code:
Cost: £2.99 / £0.59

Installation

HippoRemote works with the built-in features of the Mac.

If you've never heard of screen sharing, here are step-by-step instructions on how to configure your Mac.

1. Open the System Preferences.

96417856.png

2. Click on the Sharing preference pane.

54358315.png

3. Check the box next to "Screen Sharing".
    (In OS X 10.4, it's called "Apple Remote Desktop".)

17084052.png

4. Click on the "Computer Settings..." button.
    (Note: In OS X 10.4, it's called "Access Privileges...".)

49021593.png

5. Check the box next to "VNC viewers may control screen with password" and enter a password.

77625622.png

6. Click OK.

16402029.png

7. You're done! When you next start HippoRemote, it will automatically detect your computer.
Note: If you've enabled the OS X firewall, HippoRemote will not be able to connect to your Mac. You must either disable the firewall or open access to port 5900.

Associate
Great guide EVH!

Quick question though, is there any other way of just adding media without having to go through renaming all my files to conform. How does this work for Series which arent in the online databases as well?

Back
Top Bottom