Suzuki Swift Sport?

Soldato
Mrs needs a new car as her T reg fiesta is getting on a bit. She likes the Mini Cooper (££), but other thoughts are Suzuki Swift Sport, Mazda 2, Fiesta, Ibiza etc.

Anyone got a Suzuki Swift Sport?

Caporegime
great cars, don't own one myself, but have PDI tested many of them.

nice seats.

superb weight to the steering wheel, and the feel.

brakes are good.

im 6ft 3" and never found them cramped inside.

Soldato
I test drove one (current shape) and I liked it.

In the end though we went for an older Civic - bit bigger and thought the residual would probably stand the test of time a little better.

Soldato
Not owned one, drive one enough to know that I would certainly consider one against the direct competition, certainly have one over a fiesta or Mazda any day.

Also IMO it's genuinely a "cool" car, which is rare these days.

Should also be reliable.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have one as a company car.

Economy ranges from ~34MPG average to ~40MPG (cold/warm weather).

The thing takes off a bit over 5K RPM, but it's never very quick. Handling is brilliant TBH. The car feels quite tall, but it hides it very well indeed and it corners like a go kart. Steering feel is excellent and very precise (better than my CTR by a long way), and the gearbox is pretty good and has a nice short throw (not so good as my CTR). The traction control is never very intrusive, i.e. I've only really had it kick in when flooring it out of junctions in damp conditions and when going sideways on roundabouts. Oddly, it does tend to snap oversteer when on the power (and you're being very stupid) and will drift a little if you really, really push it. Seats are okay, but a little narrow so the bolsters dig in my thighs very slightly (I'm 6'3" and not particularly fat!). The driving position is very good, but I have to have the seat right back and as lows as it can go. The foot controls are very, very light, and I find the car very easy to stall due to their being zero feel to the clutch. The brakes are a bit off/on as well.

It's quite a bit roomier than the Cooper, and the boot has a false floor that you can put shopping under, so it effectively doubles the boot floor space. You'll reasonably comfortably fit 3 passengers in the car, even with the odd tall person.

As for interior build quality, well it's crap really. The dash controls are flimsy but functional, and all the plastics are pretty dire. The fabrics are generally pretty cheap too. The stereo is pap, well at least the speakers are. Rattles are part of the package, so you'll have to live with them whether you like it or not. It's a very nice looking car as superminis go, just not brilliantly built.

Last edited:
Soldato
I to have a swift sport. Pretty much echo what Danza has said, (older cars don't come with the false boot floor)

I will point out faults with the swift for you though, Clutch slave cylinder will more than likely creak they pretty much all do this after a while (even none sports)

Watch out for the esp light as that means new abs pump time (I've just this minute picked mine up from dealer getting this sorted) It's quite a common fault and is covered under warranty but if not it can be costly.

I love hooning the little thing about tbh, I drove loads of super minis etc before I settled for the swift, It was just by far the most fun for me.

Soldato
Everyone says the sport is a great little car to drive, the main downside being its a bit buzzy on the motorway as its very low geared.

Danza - are you able to comment?

Soldato
Danza - you are a breath of fresh air to OCUK Motors.

Seriously.

You seem to be the only person on these forums that can give an objective opinion of their own car, warts and all. Everyone else thinks their own car does an average of 40mpg through stop/start traffic, never breaks down, costs pennies every year to run, handles like a F1 car, rides like a limousine, and is the best car, bar none, in its entire class.....

Back
Top Bottom