New Intel SSD Firmware available

Associate
is this really worth doing? Or should I leave it well alone?

Well as you can see by the comments above, members have noticed a slight increase in performance when updating to this newer firmware and as yet, no one has reported any problems with there Intel SSDs once upgraded to the firmware.

In the end, it's really up to you whether you think its worth updating or not.

You might see an increase in performance, you might not but updating anyways won't do any harm.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
painless to do and good results.

before...................................................................................after

ssdfirmewareupdatecompa.jpg

Soldato
see if i have done the reg hack to enable AHCI
will i need to go back into the req and change it back inorder to do this update ?
ive now managed to have my ssd located, but it wont update the firmware

Associate
see if i have done the reg hack to enable AHCI
will i need to go back into the req and change it back inorder to do this update ?
ive now managed to have my ssd located, but it wont update the firmware

You have to set your drive controller to IDE in the bios just for the update, and then change it back to AHCI or you setting in the bios ones you have updated the drive.

Last edited:
Soldato
Done that mate
Update fails everytime, x25 v I'm trying to update

i guess its not for my ssd this update i have this one so im assuming its a black case and not the silver as stated in the notes :mad:

intelx25vssd1t1.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Done that mate
Update fails everytime, x25 v I'm trying to update

i guess its not for my ssd this update i have this one so im assuming its a black case and not the silver as stated in the notes :mad:

intelx25vssd1t1.jpg

That's a silver G2 like what the rest of us have. I'm not sure why you're having so much trouble, I updated mine with my SATA ports set to AHCI, what ports are you plugged into, make sure it's the Intel ones.

Associate
its in the 6/7 ports on my ud5

In that case could it be that you are not connected to the ICH10R controller (Blue) and have the disk connected to the Gigabyte controller (White)?

If so the UD5 bios contains an option for both drive controllers, the Intel being located at the top of the menu and the Gigabyte lower down the menu.

Soldato
im connected to white yes
so i need to enable to the top controller in the bios as apose to the gsata3 ?
will i need to plug into the blue ?
sorry for daftness

Associate
First of all check your boot drive priority in the bios, its likely shifted around since you moved the drive to another port.

I presume the SSD is your OS drive so at this point its worth removing any storage drives from the motherboard to take them out of the equation. Complete the upgrade then connect them once again.

Take a look at the picture below. The top item listed (SATA RAID/AHCI MODE) is the controller for the Blue ports (intel), this is what will need setting to IDE, once you have connected the SSD to a Blue port.

Just for reference the Gigabyte controller mode White ports is set under (ONBOARD SATA/IDE Ctrl MODE).

bios-settings1.gif

Hope that make sense :)

Soldato
TAKE A BACKUP.
Updating has messed things up for me on my RAID setup. Post update my windows partition has gone walkabouts, system recovery partition works, but it can't find the main windows partition.

After some playing around (ran the update program again) it broke further, one of the drives was no longer a RAID member, and it's serial number changed (before at the end of the serial number on both drives there were some odd characters, which have now gone on the drive that no longer reports as being part of the array)

I then played around a bit more with trying one drive at a time and both drives have got rid of the weird characters at the end of their serial number, and both are reporting as being non-raid members in the Intel RAID BIOS.

I'm going to see if I can recover anything using a Linux Live CD. Was foolish not taking a backup (I even thought about it too, but couldn't be bothered at the time because I'd never had a firmware update issue in the past) but there was nothing I really cared about on there apart from some recent save games.

Last edited:
Soldato
Weirdly the array is back again now, with the serial numbers etc showing as they used to. I'm not sure what commands to issue from linux to mount it without potentially damaging any of the data (was hoping that Ubuntu would automagically do it all)
Later on I'll be installing windows on a spare drive, and giving some Raid and Partition recovery tools a shot. I'm pretty sure that all my data is still there, It's just the partition table is confused.

Last edited:
Soldato
i run AS SSD bench and the read and writes and score is less than before update
??
left in new firmware, right is old
desktop2011020812493278.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
If you look at the driver used in the top left box above the speed categories it now says pciide compared to old benchmark msahci.

Have you checked your BIOS to see ACHI is enabled instead of IDE, or some other generic term indicating IDE compatible mode.

Also once in Windows you could install Intel RST instead of using the default microsoft version, but need to check BIOS first.

RST 10.1.0.1008 dowmload link - selection top one as English only version so slightly smaller download.

Back
Top Bottom