• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Bulldozer Finally!

Associate
Given his join date i think it's safe to say when there is information about BD JF will be more then happy to let us all in on it as i think thats his purpose here and probably on other forums. Personally i am happy to wait as the more time there is the more time i have to save money so i can get the upgrade i really want and whether BD is out in a month or in june i will do what i always do look at my needs look at whats out and best suits that and purchase accodingly.

Associate
Mr AMD, keeping things secret isn't unknown for other industries... just look at dSLR manufacturers... Nikon, Canon, Sony...

each new dSLR is always and upgrade of some sort and potentially it can kill sales of previous line it replaces simply because it's better.
But this is only applicable to people who are buying for the first time! there is a lot of people simply upgrading because they can afford and want to be on the top with their toys.
Ok, we might be thinking of products that are more expensive than CPU here, yet still most build are driven by the choice of CPU/gfx combo.
Most of people here don't even need to upgrade... but they do for the sake of a few FPS!

AMD's policy isn't too good on this, as a lot of people have simply gone SB route as they couldn't wait any longer, and these were people switching camps from AMD to intel.
I can understand that the policies are implemented for a reason, but AMD isn't helping themselves to get further chunks of intel's market.

I personally believe it would have been much better to either just sit quiet until a month/2 weeks before the release and to A LOT of noise, or give constant updates for a few months before the release.

Soldato
Mr AMD, keeping things secret isn't unknown for other industries... just look at dSLR manufacturers... Nikon, Canon, Sony...

each new dSLR is always and upgrade of some sort and potentially it can kill sales of previous line it replaces simply because it's better.
But this is only applicable to people who are buying for the first time! there is a lot of people simply upgrading because they can afford and want to be on the top with their toys.
Ok, we might be thinking of products that are more expensive than CPU here, yet still most build are driven by the choice of CPU/gfx combo.
Most of people here don't even need to upgrade... but they do for the sake of a few FPS!

AMD's policy isn't too good on this, as a lot of people have simply gone SB route as they couldn't wait any longer, and these were people switching camps from AMD to intel.
I can understand that the policies are implemented for a reason, but AMD isn't helping themselves to get further chunks of intel's market.

I personally believe it would have been much better to either just sit quiet until a month/2 weeks before the release and to A LOT of noise, or give constant updates for a few months before the release.

You cant please everybody & yes in order to please the larger people over there they will have to upset some people here & no i would not take enthusiasts lack of impatience & wanting to upgrade all the time as a trend of how main stream markets move.

We could all jump ship every other quarter & it will not make blip on market share statistics.

Losing a few enthusiasts makes no odds when its the mainstream is where the money is.
Its not about not caring its about reality & the really is that Intel/AMD would not last a nanosecond on the income they get from enthusiasts.

It would be no different than some PC gamers not buying a particular game on console because they want a PC version & say look your losing out on sales because you didn't make a version for the pc but yet the pc gaming market is huge compared to the tiny PC enthusiasts market & but still many games get ignored for PC release because its about where the most money is at any given time.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am personally waiting with around £600 for an upgrade when BattleField 3 comes. Not going to buy until that is about to come out anyway as I can run all the games I play at the moment with my Q6600 @ 3.2 Ghz and 6950(70) overclocked at great frame rates.

Soldato
That slide looks highly dissapointing to me cat :(

If AMD are indeed pricing they're super duper bulldozer CPU's the same as the i7-2xk series that means they will only be on par with them, not faster!

All this time waiting - ah well, looks like I'll just keep my X6 for now, and wait for 2nd gen BD (which will be a different socket anyhoo!)

Soldato
That slide looks highly dissapointing to me cat :(

If AMD are indeed pricing they're super duper bulldozer CPU's the same as the i7-2xk series that means they will only be on par with them, not faster!

All this time waiting - ah well, looks like I'll just keep my X6 for now, and wait for 2nd gen BD (which will be a different socket anyhoo!)

Unless AMD are being aggressive and are offering a faster CPU for a similar price to grab market share.

Associate
Read the slide better! it's not the CPU price, but the whole SYSTEM! which doesnt mean that your BD has to be more expensive than 2600K :)

Frankly, if BD is on par with 2600K most people (especially those using more core's) won't mind it costing around the same.
If it's cheaper - than even better! usually mobo's are cheaper as well!

Soldato
I'm holding off till it's out anyways, I got caught out as I wasn't keeping upto date when I did my last major purchase so I've learnt my lesson.

Once it's out it will be a simple case of which is better value for money (per core) when it comes to my cad work (ie the rendering grunt work where more cores count) and if I can get a dtx/mitx motherboard to go with it :)

Although from the above links the FX-8110 does look like a nice option if it's not too expensive, although I'm not likely to overclock it or anything so a non FX option would be just as good in my eyes if it's cheaper lol

Caporegime
Yeah but Intel will have Ivy Bridge out early next year so AMD will fall behind again.

http://www.techeye.net/chips/intels-ivy-bridge-will-rule-the-chip-roost

Ivy bridge will still be quad core, and will have an IGP taking up space and(for most enthusiasts on here) be a bit of a waste of space, less so if they can get quicksync working with discrete gpu's as people do transcode stuff, though I don't, feels daft buying something I won't use 1/4-1/5th of.

Its quite likely a 8 core BD will both spank a Sandybridge silly, and get spanked by a octo core i7 sandybridge E, but you're talking about £15-250 chips vs £500-1000 chips on £200-400 mobo's so I really couldn't give a crap about that.

In the mainstream/enthusiast sector(excluding stupid rich people) Intel will have £150-250 quad cores against AMD's octo core up till seemingly around the end of 2012 which isn't exactly soon.

Some benchmarks are going to make the SB look slow at the same price, some will be close, I really don't think(quicksync transcoding aside unless BD has a BIG surprise) that AMD will be competitive in transcoding, hardware decode beats software, hands down. WHere SB gets beat, I don't see Ivy being a huge improvement.

Intel don't need, but SHOULD have a octo core in mainstream by now. Q6600, 65nm launched Q1 07, 4 years later, still on quad cores and they won't do mainstream octo cores till almost 6 years later.

Somewhat think AMD have made the right move, bring APU ti mid/low end where price/die size/power/efficiency are key, go for octo core, and intergrate a GPU next gen. Who is really buying a 2500k/2600k for a gpu? At the very least they could have gone with the same die size and 6 cores.

Permabanned
If AMD's 6- and 8-core BD chips are able to compete with the 2600k, you can kiss good-bye to $170-200 AMD chip pricing for those high end parts. AMD isn't just going to give away equal or better performance at lower prices. Therefore, even if the 8-core part can surpass the 2600k (for example), it will likely be priced higher as well (especially if the performance advantage is substantial).

On average the 2600k is about 30% faster than an X6 @ 3.3ghz. This means that even if BD improves its performance per clock by 20% over Phenom II, a 6-core BD might just barely match the 2600k. Of course Intel can easily drop the price and release its own 6- and 8-core chips.

Back
Top Bottom