• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*The GTX590 Club*

Associate
God the 590 is not looking good at all!

Imagine if the card could melt whilst your asleep, cause electrical fire? No way id have one of these 590's in my rig. In 6 months time might get reports of cards just failing at idle, to risky to buy one of these now, wait until Nvidia get the problem fixed. Or just grab a HD 6990..

Man of Honour
Hm.

GTX 590 - Rubbish, explosive and very expensive.

HD 6990 - Awesome, and a bit cheaper.

Tough choice here guys.

Associate
It's not entirely implausible that is the case. Would make a lot more sense than an experienced hardware company making a school boy error with the design.

Aye, something (kind of) similar happened to Dell a few years back. Just search for GX280 capacitors.

Soldato
Well, it had to happen to someone here and it finally has.

Zotac GTX 590 *** AT DEFAULT VOLTAGE ***

BANG!!!!!

I'm so ******G P****D at this moment I could scream. I bought it from another site on the day of release. It turned up Saturday, so by that time I'd seen and read the whole fiasco on the web with the cards dying... so naturally I said to myself, "Don't be an idiot, give it a few days before you try clocking it."
Well it's now Monday night and while running 3dMark11 an hour ago I noticed it got really quiet... I leapt for the psu cable. But no. Crack! Poof! Stinking smoke!

I really thought my whole system was gone, the flash was that bright. Thankfully no, I stuck in an old 8800gtx I had and everything booted fine. But the GTX590 is toast, part of the pcb has melted around what looked like a small group of resistors in the lower middle of the card, which have blown, and there's a scorch mark on the other side of the card coming out from under the cooler shroud down to the pci-e fingers.

Believe me the RMA email I've just sent off to E***er was less than gentlemanly. That scared the ever loving c**p out of me. How the hell did Nvidia think they could ship these cards in this state!

PS. Before anyone asks, I dont have a camera, and I've already stuck the bloody thing back in its box for when I get my RMA number tomorrow. Good Riddance!!!

You sound like my lecturer! Lol, he had the same problem, only his wasn't even overclocked .. it just died whilst running one of Nvidia's own benchmark / tech demo's.

Soldato
Gutted, at least you will get rma no problem! If you only have use of one pci.e x 16 slot then why not grab a HD 6990? Save a bit of cash and get better performance. The noise level has been blown out of proportion by the Nvidia fanboys probably becausce the GTX 590 is such an epic fail. My HD 6990 only gets loud during Furmark or benching with no sound. During games I can't hear it and its performance is rediculous!

You have sold me for a 6990 and now to decide which make ,

Dont want ASUS after the Sandybridge stink
DONt know much about HIS or Sapphire any recommendations

Associate
Thinking about it I'm even more stunned now than I was last night.
These are very expensive cards, we know Nvidia haven't made a lot of them, and they've only been on sale since Wednesday. Given the price, lets say no more than a hundred have been sold in the uk (complete guess )... my card and the others that have "gone for a burton" would make up a frightening percentage of cards for any retailer, especially given the exciting manner of their demise.
Maybe Nvidia may not want to do a recall, but will the retailers having to deal with the RMA's let them get out of it that easily?

Soldato
It's not entirely implausible that is the case. Would make a lot more sense than an experienced hardware company making a school boy error with the design.

Nvidia made a school boy error imo, tried to be clever by making the card shorter than the 6990 as well as save on the extra components, and ended up with MOSFETS that can't handle the current even at stock.
Bottom line is, if Nvidia did any notable testing at all they would have found this issue as it's just soo prevalent even with a small number of cards.

And to top it off the new drivers are a joke, if you Overclock the card you end up with less performance than at stock, If Nvidia doesn't recall all these cards and then release a revised PCB you can say good bye to the hope of 3rd party AIB's resolving the overclock portion of the issue, because they will be held back by drivers. No point clocking the core up to 900mhz on water but have the card actually run slower than stock clocks only now with irregular performance and stuttering.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037036162&postcount=319

If Nvidia don't recall these cards I can see them ending up with another class action lawsuit like when they were sued for knowingly selling faulty mobile GPU's.

Where are all the updated WARNING's on review sites? How many cards need to die before reviews get updated? Tbh that speaks volumes to me.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3930980&postcount=74

Soldato
Thinking about it I'm even more stunned now than I was last night.
These are very expensive cards, we know Nvidia haven't made a lot of them, and they've only been on sale since Wednesday. Given the price, lets say no more than a hundred have been sold in the uk (complete guess )... my card and the others that have "gone for a burton" would make up a frightening percentage of cards for any retailer, especially given the exciting manner of their demise.
Maybe Nvidia may not want to do a recall, but will the retailers having to deal with the RMA's let them get out of it that easily?

I would have thought possible court action might be enough to issue a recall?
Also I would have thought some kind of trading standards body would get involved, and tbh what the point in the CE mark to say the product is safe and can be sold in the EU?

Soldato
The latest drivers nvidia has released for the 590 have the card downclocking below 600 Mhz. The card is dropping as low as 550mhz when the OCP kicks in while gaming.

So nvidia is now having to reduce performance from stock to keep the card stable. Hopefully we will start to see review sites revisiting their reviews soon with the new drivers to show the loss not improvement in performance drivers are bringing to these cards.

This is unacceptable on nvidia's part, to now reduce the consumer's performance to keep the cards on the market.

It's time for a recall.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037041946&postcount=141

Soldato
Would love for Raven to not be banned right now.

Me to, it will be more fun if he's not wearing his red slippers when he comes back as well... :p

flipflop.jpg

Associate

Thanks for the link Final8y.

While over there I couldn't help but notice the P***K that thinks just because I don't have a camera this makes me a liar. I take that to heart in a very big way... :mad:

So without further adue I've borrowed my neighbours camera phone and taken a couple of shots. Just to show I've got NOTHING to hide I've included a shot of the packing box with my RMA slip taped to the top.

29032011014.jpg

29032011015.jpg

29032011016.jpg

29032011018.jpg

Since I don't have a forum account over there anyone want to point him and anyone else thinking I'm a liar to the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom