• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SB-E [C2] Stepping

Associate
490W :eek:
Was that with using offset?
Yeah, I believe it was +0.040 and LLC on Medium. LLC is very aggressive, basically you can lower your default voltage, since the CPU is not overclocked without Turbo being engaged, then on load LLC kicks in and bumps up the volts. So I could see what the real volts are only half-way into stress testing.

Currently I'm cruising ultra stable at 4.6ghz (LLC medium, current 120%, all power saving options enabled). Even like this it crosses 400W during Lynx. That test is sick, as Battlefield 3 in Crossfire is around 400W (that is with 2 GPUs active at around 90%).
Lynx + Unigine goes up to 600W. Not gonna try Furmark, as my PSU is 750W.

Idle is 172W, love it.

It would be great to exchange best practices and lessons learned. There are a lot of guides out there, I'll give them a look as well.

Associate
which is best for overclocking then offset or fixed?
i was hoping to get mine to 4.5 for day to day assuming temos are good, maybe higher if it runs cool, but i doubt it from what you are saying.

Associate
which is best for overclocking then offset or fixed?
i was hoping to get mine to 4.5 for day to day assuming temos are good, maybe higher if it runs cool, but i doubt it from what you are saying.
Fixed is more stable for extreme frequencies as it doesn't have sudden dips on idle as with offset.
For 4.5ghz I would recommend offset, all power saving options on.
If water cooling is not an option then unless you already have it, you could get some of those big heatsink towers like Noctua, should be fine.
The heat goes drastically with each multiplier step above 4.4, usually 4.4-4.6 is the norm.
For example this graph, seems to be true.

Associate
Guys I bought a C1 stepping from Overclockers and I believe Intel are to swop C1 steppings for C2 at no charge. Anyone have any information on how to get an exchange from Intel??? Thanks

Soldato
Not so far..
They don't know when the next delivery is or if it will be the new C2 stepping, at least that is the situation at 9am this morning

This is tech torture

Associate
OP
Not so far..
They don't know when the next delivery is or if it will be the new C2 stepping, at least that is the situation at 9am this morning

This is tech torture

Lol!

There is some talk on hard forums that 3930 is in short supply in contrast to the 3960X (obviously because of price), (shortage includes the C2 stepping). Stock supply is said to pick up late January and first week of February.

There is also some confusion. I still believe nuhi has a C2 chip!

Soldato
So do I, and I also think that they are for sale and available in Germany as there were 3 retailers offering that SR0KY code version chips.
no sign of anything in the UK though

Soldato
google translate works really well, but when you select the delivery to UK option all the stores disappear so Im guessing that none of them deliver to here
So much for the single market :eek:

edit

OCUK have them back in stock, I have posted in the CS forum to find out what stepping they are
Im at work, so can't ring them if someone else can do the honours

They are only OEM though

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom