• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

piledriver - Official AMD FX4300,FX6300 and FX8350 review thread

Caporegime

I know compared to Intel the Bulldozer / Piledriver architecture is not good but he spend at least 20 minutes going on about power draw and one single benchmark..... for those 20 minutes it was moan moan moan about those two things, at which point i turned it off.

Nothing new, just the age old rhetoric dragged out for an insanely long time.

How about some of the benchmarks where it did do well? or some information about some of the changes they made to the architecture?

Nothing.

If you go to a review you would be right to expect a review, you don't expect the whole thing to be about all that's already known to be wrong with it, Complete waist of time.

Last edited:
Associate
The power usage isn't a big deal when you factor in things like fridges, freezers, showers, microwaves and washing machines in your house.

Also the power usage is much closer in real world tasks like gaming as Prime 95 (which all of them seem to use for the power test) stresses all the cores, it doesn't take into account that the FX-8350 has more resources to stress than say an i5-3570k. In a gaming scenario the GPU quickly overtakes the CPU in terms of power consumption. 50W extra on the CPU is nothing when you've got monster GPUs using 150-300W on their own.

Caporegime
You're unlikely to notice much difference unless you encode a lot, think of it more like a Phenom II X8 with a few drawbacks (eg. it needs Windows 8 to perform optimally).

Associate
Think people expect to much from a company that is like 10 times smaller than intel.
judging it against bulldozer, and phenom ii at stock they have did a good job and decent price on average good upgrade for anyone still on am3+ with a phenomII.

Soldato

It certainly is, beats the i3 by some margin and is clockable I believe?

Just been looking at the power consumption of the 8350 vs my 920 and I think I'll have to pass on it because of that. It shows that it'll need more cooling than the 920 and that's something I can't give it. So I'm stuck with what I have for now because I'm loathed to go with 1155 because of the lack of future upgrades. Sigh, ah well I'll have to get a MS Surface then so I've got something to play with over crimbo! :D

Soldato
It certainly is, beats the i3 by some margin and is clockable I believe?

Yep!! The official RRP should be around £100 AFAIK,so at that price it looks good.
Just been looking at the power consumption of the 8350 vs my 920 and I think I'll have to pass on it because of that. It shows that it'll need more cooling than the 920 and that's something I can't give it. So I'm stuck with what I have for now because I'm loathed to go with 1155 because of the lack of future upgrades. Sigh, ah well I'll have to get a MS Surface then so I've got something to play with over crimbo! :D

I am not sure TBH:

http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1318034683VZqVQLiVuL_9_2.png

That is with an FX8150.

However,TBH the Core i7 920 is still a good CPU. I would probably hold off until the Haswell successor in 2014.

Soldato
Great find! :) So at 4ghz (mine is at 3.8ghz) the 920 is pulling 50w more than a BD OC'd which we know is less efficient than the 8350. Hhhhmmmm.

That 6300 is looking interesting too now that I've studied the benches and seen the price. I wonder how well they clock?

Edit; I see that Anandtech got their 4300 up to 5ghz.

Soldato
Soldato
Check all board revisions before buying for piledriver. Not all (as yet) have support in the bios. I have been advised by ASUS that the M5A99x Evo R1.0 does not officially support these processors whereas R2.0 does.

How come all the Gigabyte 970 and 990 motherboards are fine?? WTF,are Asus smoking?? What a scummy company - everyone else is releasing updated BIOSes. That is Asus off any recommendations by me for AMD motherboards.

I know a few people who won't be happy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom