Avoid Asus for any AMD motherboards

Soldato
With Vishera being released,companies like Gigabyte and others are releasing new BIOSes.

Obviously,not the scummy company known as Asus:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1318860/...350-fx-8320-fx-6300-fx-4300/880#post_18436753

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=23024050&postcount=178

If you check their website,they only list their "new" R2.0 motherboards as being compatible. Gigabyte have released updates for all their 970 and 990 series AM3+ motherboards it seems.

Now,it could be quite possible,that someone might release a hacked BIOS or you might be able to use an existing BD compatible BIOS,but this is a VERY poor show on the part of Asus.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Some of their motherboards are nice,but they are pulling a fast one here. Might be fine for some pre-build,but do they really think the DIY PC community is not going to notice?? Gigabyte has released BIOS updates for their earliest 970 AM3+ motherboards already.

Even the fact that you don't know for certain, whether you get a R1 or R2 motherboard means many of their 970 and 990 series motherboards are not recommendable at all.

Even then they seem to have a PD compatible BIOS for Crossfire V and tell people the Sabertooth 990FX is not compatible?? They are the same flipping chipset!

So,what I are they trying to achieve here??

Last edited:
Soldato
It was a similar case when BD was launched mate. For months prior to BD Asus kept touting their CHIV as BD compatible. When BD finally launched they promised a BIOS update, which finally turned up about 3 months afterwards. Even then this BIOS was nerfed (turbo core didn't work correctly)!!!

That and the recent debacle called the Asus 670 DCU II cards (most of them develop faults quickly) makes me want to steer well clear of Asus.

Don't get me wrong - some of their products are awesome - i.e. soundcards, routers etc - but when it comes to motherboards and firmware updates for some reason or the other they just ain't interested in anything other than selling you a newer version!

Soldato
So what are the best mobos for PD? My preference would be Gigabyte, but I read someone mention that Gigabyte boards have vdroop that limits their OC.

Also, what is AMDs SATA3 controller like? Can it max an SATA3 SSD? I can't find any reviews on it.

Soldato
Obviously Asus aren't happy at being the biggest market share motherboard manufacturer, they want more money out of you - Buy a Revision 2.0 board. :eek:

I think this is why Asus RMA system is really bad, they can afford to take the hit, because to have a decent RMA system in place would hit their precious profits more.

Last edited:
Associate
Just noticed an update was posted for my board today (m5a97 pro) and mentions support of new cpus. Looks like they haven't added the new cpus to the list yet but I suspect that will happen soon.

Soldato
Associate
I'm leaning towards this UD5 board, what do you experienced AMD guys think?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-347-GI&groupid=701&catid=1903&subcat=2046

check if they have resolved the vdroop, my ud5 is a nice board but i'm convinced the vdroop is stopping me overclocking higher on it, there was a review that logged the voltage in a graph and it showed there was both a lot of vdroop and fluctuations in the voltage, if i remember what it was i'll link it.

here it is. i'm not sure if it was properly sorted with later revisions/bios.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5714/...cond-wind-for-asus-gigabyte-msi-and-biostar/9

Last edited:
Soldato
R2.0 boards are aimed at providing extra Windows 8 options.

It has nothing to do with new processors launching.

Except yesterday ASUS CS were telling enquirers that r1.0 boards did not support piledriver. See post #8

Now they seem to be rushing out a bios update some two weeks since the last one with new CPU's on it but not yet updating their CPU support list.

I expect it will trickle through shortly but ASUS seemed to be deliberately pointing users to new motherboards for PD. Good for business, bad for reputation.

Back
Top Bottom