Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Cashback cheque finally turned up today, was submitted on the 11th June.

Hmm, maybe mine will turn up in the next week or so then, as I had to wait three weeks for stupid Post Office to admit they'd lost the letter I sent! Wish I'd known you could directly email the promotion company from the off. That'll teach me to follow instructions that say 'post to this address' :)

Soldato
Help!

I'm trying to copy a couple of TBs to my server from my NAS. Transfer speed starts at 12mb/sec for a few minutes then drops to 500kb/sec. Fresh install of Server 2012 copying from Iomega NAS. The NAS transfers fine to and from my Win 7 PC.

Any ideas?

Soldato
Ok Guys

Going to install WHS onto my micro server tomorrow.

I have already relocated the original 250gig into the top drive bay and connected it to the Sata internal port.

I also have a 2 TB drive blank, waiting to be filled. My 1 TB drive is nearly full, if and when I fire it into my microserver, will it wipe it, or will I have to wipe it?

Or can I add it to the server as normal so it sees one drive through drive manager?

Thanks

Soldato
Double post there. When you add the drive to WHS, it will be wiped.

So, what you need to do is add the 2TB first.
Plug your 1TB into another system, and copy the files over your network to the 2TB.
Then add your 1TB to WHS.

Soldato
If you dont want to install the hacked bios, and want AHCI, you're better off leaving the system drive in one of the 4 main bays. (Easier to remove if it ever fails and needs replacing too.)

You can put any drive other than the system drive in the top bay (I have two in mine) without needing the hacked bios. I dont use it.

nok

nok

Associate
Lost Keys - Help!

Hi Everyone,

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out. I have lost my HP microserver door keys and am therefore unable get into the server. From what I have read the keys are generic and should work between servers.

Is it possible that someone could lend me a key or send me a copy? I will pay for any expenses. You will be doing me a huge favor. I have tried several key cutting places with no joy and HP say that they do not carry spare keys. I have read that the keys are by Southco and carry the code W-23.

Many thanks.

Soldato
Hi Everyone,

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out. I have lost my HP microserver door keys and am therefore unable get into the server. From what I have read the keys are generic and should work between servers.

Is it possible that someone could lend me a key or send me a copy? I will pay for any expenses. You will be doing me a huge favor. I have tried several key cutting places with no joy and HP say that they do not carry spare keys. I have read that the keys are by Southco and carry the code W-23.

Many thanks.

Email my trust with your details and I'll pop a set in the post for you.

Soldato
order your noiseblocker hp microserver silencer kit here at clockers for ~ £18

one of these

with this (I had a 7v spare)

and one of these

The nosiest fan is by far the 40mm psu fan, this is very easy to replace:

1: remove the screws at the back of the case (3 from memory)
2: cut the cable ties holding the psu cables together with the chassis
3: disconnect the 20/24 pin header
4) disconnect the molex cables
5) slide the psu out of the font
6) remove the cover on the psu (4 screws)
7) remove the 2 screws holding the 40mm to the psu
8) disconnect the 2 pin connecter the fan connects to the psu
9) place the 40mm noise blocker (it is much thinner than the hp fan so you can trail and connect it to a molex)

the 120mm fan:
1) use the allan key to remove the 4 fan screws
2) disconnect the header from the board
3) trail the cable out to the top
4) slide the fan up and out
5) remove the grill from the hp fan to the noise blocker
6) the noise blocker is a 3 pin fan, when connecting it connect to the 1st 3 pins facing the front, you'll need to shave the blip of the fan cable header as below:

ENJOY THE SILENCE

mkqewh8.jpg

a2tLbo0.jpg

as you are using a 3 pin fan, it will constantly stay at the same speed (900rpms iirc, more than enough than the minimum
~ 500 the microserver requires)

Last edited:
Soldato
So on Friday my LAN appears to have died, fortunately its "just" in warranty bought it 02.08.12, whats the best way to go around getting it fixed or repaired, where I bought it (competitor so cant say) or HP direct? Obviously I need to act fast.

Back
Top Bottom