• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Associate
Comparison between my ref 6970 and the basically lightning version of the

10477112003_a09dfbbe66_c.jpg

Gotta say so far I've done the 3d mark fire strike bench and it's leaps and bounds better than the 6970's cf'd

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the prices of these will go up in the short-term, as with the 5850/5870's. Other sites have sold the few cards they had in-stock at £500+.

Soldato
Comparison between my ref 69070 and the basically lightening version of the

Gotta say so far I've done the 3d mark fire strike bench and it's leaps and bounds better than the 6970's cf'd

sweet.

MSI Afterburner though voltage control is not yet working with it.

other short term solution to flash asus bios and run gpu tweak for it.
not recomended though

Soldato
I think the prices of these will go up in the short-term, as with the 5850/5870's. Other sites have sold the few cards they had in-stock at £500+.

I suspect you're right.

I have one on order for £388 but I have my doubts about whether they'll honour the sale. I'm tempted to cancel it anyway and wait it out for the AIB, boards, because all the components I've used so far have been designed for low-noise.

Associate
Got my HIS card up and running. Getting coil whine in 3d mark though. Never ever had a gfx card do that before.

Thanks to Gibbo for posting about the Gold ticket resolution. Put my request in on the forum.

Haven't tried too much with it yet. A few runs of 3d mark, getting 10400 GPU score on firestrike at stock with fan set to 100% (never got above 45% tho and it never got near 95 degree's either).

Not tried overclocking it and probably wont for the moment but did stick the mem up to 1475 MHz and that's not a problem for it.

Soldato
I suspect you're right.

I have one on order for £388 but I have my doubts about whether they'll honour the sale. I'm tempted to cancel it anyway and wait it out for the AIB, boards, because all the components I've used so far have been designed for low-noise.
If you can get one for that price you'll be better off waiting for it and then fitting an aftermarket Arctic cooler or similar to the card if it gets too noisy for you. That must be a prcing error becuase US base price ($549) plus UK VAT = £410 and we always pay a small surcharge.

Associate
If you can get one for that price you'll be better off waiting for it and then fitting an aftermarket Arctic cooler or similar to the card if it gets too noisy for you. That must be a prcing error becuase US base price ($549) plus UK VAT = £410 and we always pay a small surcharge.

The £388.00 price includes a £30.00 voucher discount (£418)
:)

Soldato
The £388.00 price includes a £30.00 voucher discount (£418)
:)

Indeed. The voucher no longer works, the price has been pushed up to £589 on the site, and in my order history the discount has been deleted but my total is still £388.

I'm pretty sure they're going to cancel it.

Associate
Got mine but is anyone else getting an issue where the card is being picked up as a Standard VGA adapter and AMD drivers is refusing to pick up that it is a R9 290x? Possible DOA?

Back
Top Bottom