• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Soldato
So, I'm at work. With my card, it hasn't blue screened. Theres a conflict with my own system somewhere, strange as my 7970 is fine.
The card also runs VERY hot. Stock settings (uber mode) on GRID 2 benchmark and the card hit 95c.
Does my card just run absurdly hot?

Ragnahex

What is your full system spec? I want to compare it to my own to see if there is anything common in our systems.

Yeah suarez I am thinking of just returning the card. The amount of hassle with the NDA, the price, the issues and the small gain in performance is really putting me off :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Can someone link me to the memoryinfo program please, can't find it :p

edit: nvm got it
edit: I have elpida on my ASUS

Last edited:
Soldato
So, I'm at work. With my card, it hasn't blue screened. Theres a conflict with my own system somewhere, strange as my 7970 is fine.
The card also runs VERY hot. Stock settings (uber mode) on GRID 2 benchmark and the card hit 95c.
Does my card just run absurdly hot?

Ragnahex

What is your full system spec? I want to compare it to my own to see if there is anything common in our systems.

Yeah suarez I am thinking of just returning the card. The amount of hassle with the NDA, the price, the issues and the small gain in performance is really putting me off :(

It's been discussed at length, 95c is absolutely fine. The card is designed to target 95c. You can change the target temperature in Overdrive. If you set it to 90C and lower the volts slightly with a power target of 100% and fan at a maximum of 50% it runs fairly quiet. Still a god awful cooler though.

Last edited:
Associate
2600k p67pro mobo hx850w psu corsair vengence ram. Just running card in my htpc at the moment to test it. after that will do a psu switch then mobo+ cpu switch. I will find out what isn't happy soon

Soldato
I know it has been discussed at length, I've been reading the thread.

I would have thought that uber mode (55%) fan speed would would have a lower temp than the target of 95c, that was what I was pointing out.

My worry was that I had a hotter than usual gpu. Temps seem fine now that I've put the side panel on my work pc. The room is airconned so I would have thought it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Caporegime
Initially I was disappointed with it.

However, I was running GPU-Z and that was causing a lot of the throttling issues. 55% fan speed was a bit loud for my liking but I knocked it down to 50% and it's a bit better and seems to stay at 94C without throttling.

Real test will be BF4 this week, that'll give it a good run and I tend to play that for 2-3 hours at a time.

Associate
it's now been in 3 pc's and caused all of them to die :D.

A strange issue i have found is that one of my sapphires is silent the other buzzes like hell under load, i tested both independently in diferent slots. Maybe be a quality issue , or mabe the card needs to "bed in"

Soldato
Ragnahex, sorry can't seem to see your original post. What's the card doing?

A strange issue i have found is that one of my sapphires is silent the other buzzes like hell under load, i tested both independently in diferent slots. Maybe be a quality issue , or mabe the card needs to "bed in"

Coilwhine affects some cards and not others, it will bed in eventually!

Associate
basically had problems since i got it with driver issues. As soon as i put any drivers on it would blank the screen and crash. Tried multiple setups and computers (ran ram tests hd tests formatted) and it does it on every pc i put it in. Unless i am missing a trick. Now when i try it i put the drivers on and i just get 100% fan speed when should have windows login and nothing on the screen. And while i do like problem solving i think it would just be easier to accept defeat in this case

Last edited:
Soldato
What kind of psus were in the other machines?

I'm still not sure how I'm going to get it working with my system at home, I mean my overclocked 7970 was happy enough. The fact that I only have issues once drivers are installed leads me to believe that there is a conflict between the drivers and something else on my system.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
What kind of psus were in the other machines?

I'm still not sure how I'm going to get it working with my system at home, I mean my overclocked 7970 was happy enough. The fact that I only have issues once drivers are installed leads me to believe that there is a conflict between the drivers and something else on my system.

The driver install would presumably go to the card and query it in several ways and that might wake it up more than driver-less but beyond that I don't know. Perhaps update your mobo-bios and chipset drivers (if they arent already fairly current) in case its having problems communicating over/with the PCIe slot/drivers. Both the 290X and 7970 are PCIe V3.0 cards so it shouldn't be too much different but its just a suggestion. It will use the PCIe bus to look for crossfire buddies of course now - are there any other cards in the mobo or just integrated stuff.

What is the spec of the machine - mobo, psu, cpu etc - is it whatever your sig is saying (its hard to read) ?

Associate
well took the card out and whey my pc has been running for the rest of the day perfectly :D. So if they say it isn't the card then it must be something incompatible somewhere

Back
Top Bottom