• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Associate
Finished - took just under 30mins :eek:

3065959210.png

Sub 20 mins for me too :D

UOp20DO.jpg.png

Associate
I might have to send these cards back I just can't seem to get this crossfire issue sorted, would it be happening because I have PCIEx2.0 x8 x8 ??

I have a Asus P8Z68-VPRO.

Maybe one of my cards is faulty, the only thing I can think is that as they are factory overclocked they are throttling because of that?

Caporegime
Thanks, I am wondering if it is a driver problem or something I might try a fresh install as I am using win 8.1 at the moment, maybe try win 7, it's weird though as it seems the gpu's dip down to 0 and then back up to 100 all the time.

Sounds like a driver bug with the 2d/3d profiles forcing the card to go into UVD mode. Copy my afterburner settings. You want to make sure you have enable unofficial overclocking selected without powerplay support. Does this fix the problem?

khKPdSn.jpg

Associate
Morning guys

Picked up my new saf 290x bf4 edition and very happy so far. I have a couple of questions for you?

1. Using Msi afterburner to set core and memory etc is this ok ? It's voltage locked but is this the best thing to use?

2 currently mine is set at core 1150 memory 1500 ? Is this safe on current stock cooler ? When running 3d mark firestrike does see near 90c +

3 urber mode ? Looking directly from the top of is this the left or right position ? Got it set to the right at the min ?

4 currently when benchmarking my 2nd screen goes blank how do I get it to show my CPU z etc

Come from my 6950 with a firestrike score of 3500 did the same test with the above oc and got 9500 score with the below system ?

Currently using 33.11 beta 6 drivers !

Cheers

Last edited:
Caporegime
Morning guys

Picked up my new saf 290x bf4 edition and very happy so far. I have a couple of questions for you?

1. Using Msi afterburner to set core and memory etc is this ok ? It's voltage locked but is this the best thing to use?

2 currently mine is set at core 1150 memory 1500 ? Is this safe on current stock cooler ? When running 3d mark firestrike does see near 90c +

3 urber mode ? Looking directly from the top of is this the left or right position ? Got it set to the right at the min ?

Come from my 6950 with a firestrike score of 3500 did he sane test with the above oc and got 9500 score with the below system ?

Currently using 33.11 beta 6 drivers !

Cheers

90c + is normal for these, they are designed to run at that.

there are newer drivers, 13.11 B7 Win 8.1 version http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Associate
Sounds like a driver bug with the 2d/3d profiles forcing the card to go into UVD mode. Copy my afterburner settings. You want to make sure you have enable unofficial overclocking selected without powerplay support. Does this fix the problem?

khKPdSn.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion, no it doesn't. I have done a fresh install of win7 and still the same, i think something is up with one (or both) of the cards as I sometimes get graphical corruption even though I am not overclocking them.

this was on win 7

I think I am going to send them back, I never had any problems with 780/titans.

Soldato
Hi, my PowerPlay issue stemmed from a hardware level bug. Yours will be an entirely seperate issue. Although it wouldn't hurt to try flashing it to the Asus BIOS. Maybe try updating chipset drivers. Failing that full reinstall...Your problem seems isolated.

Associate
Hi, my PowerPlay issue stemmed from a hardware level bug. Yours will be an entirely seperate issue. Although it wouldn't hurt to try flashing it to the Asus BIOS. Maybe try updating chipset drivers. Failing that full reinstall...Your problem seems isolated.

thnks mate, I have tried a full install (win7 & 8) and updated drivers, still the same, I am sure it must be the cards as my 780's and titans ran flawlessly, I am going to RMA them, I don't suppose any of you could post a screenshot of your afterburner graphs whilst playing crysis 3 (if you have crossfire) thanks.

Associate
hello , i just got my 290..... but i think they sold me the non X version, the Sapphire box says 290 and on the card i have this part number 21227-00-40g and also 290 with no X.

my gpu is at 945mhz, it should be at 1ghz ?

kwwd.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
hello , i just got my 290..... but i think they sold me the non X version, the Sapphire box says 290 and on the card i have this part number 21227-00-40g and also 290 with no X.

my gpu is at 945mhz, it should be at 1ghz ?

if it states 290 and not 290x on the box so yes.

Soldato
Loving my R9 290X in BF3 on 3 screens at 144hz on the BenQ XL2420T rev2.0 24" monitors.

Silky smooth!

what kinds of fps do you have with all low and compared to those you play with?

I find my 7970 holds up really well with my eyefinity 5040x1050 set up.

Soldato
primouf - please download 'GPU-Z' and run it, post a screenshot.

It does look like you have a 290 non-X card however, that is interesting as the NDA has not lifted.

Back
Top Bottom