• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Associate
Anyone gone from a 7970 to the 290X here?

Yes and IMHO the difference is tremendous. For a start the card trade blows with a Titan and bosses the 780, the 780TI is a differenrt story but there isnt that much in it.

Aside form the Black Screen issues (when over clocking for me) the card is amazing and I love mine. I was about to sell mine and buy 780TI but have since decided not too.

Soldato
Yes and IMHO the difference is tremendous. For a start the card trade blows with a Titan and bosses the 780, the 780TI is a differenrt story but there isnt that much in it.

Aside form the Black Screen issues (when over clocking for me) the card is amazing and I love mine. I was about to sell mine and buy 780TI but have since decided not too.
Yea from what I've seen the GTX780Ti generally got higher max frame rate than the 290x, but minimum and average there's not much difference.

Soldato
Still getting the blackscreen crashes on bf4, definitely memory related and seems even worse with the 9.4 drivers.

Anything over 1400mhz on the memory and I get blackscreen crashes at random times :(
Wish it would give you some warning in the shape of artifacts beforehand though.

Hopefully as the drivers mature the problem will get fixed.

Just to clarify, this only happens when overclocking the memory, imo it's a driver issue and not a fault with the card.

9.2 was fine and I could bench at 1625.

Not a single crash in BF4 here, since running stock settings. It's worth running stock in that game and just enjoying it rather than trying to trouble shoot high clock settings, it's just to unstable atm. Enjoying the game much more now I'm not expecting a crash lol.

Last edited:
Associate
Would you guys say that running at 1.3v on Asus GPU Tweak fine for 24/7 gaming?

Peaks around 1.25 volts at 1200/1450. Max temp 52 under water.

Im not sure what volts are fine for gaming on GPU's (New to GPU OC'in)

Soldato
Would you guys say that running at 1.3v on Asus GPU Tweak fine for 24/7 gaming?

Peaks around 1.25 volts at 1200/1450. Max temp 52 under water.

Im not sure what volts are fine for gaming on GPU's (New to GPU OC'in)

1.25 volts should be more than fine on water. The 7970 ghz cards come at 1.25 volts stock. What is stock voltage on the r9 290x.

Last edited:
Associate
I've bought myself a waterblock for mine, looking forward to see what it can do with the extra cooling as I haven't tried overclocking it yet.

I have managed to get a stable overclock (BF4 no artifacts/Crashing) of 1220/5300, any higher on the memory and I get black screen crashes, any higher on the core I get artifacts. I can run benchmarks (valley/heaven) at 1250/5700 no problems, but I'm quite happy with this overclock for BF4 at least. Maybe it'll change with driver updates and maybe with some BF4 patches/Mantle.

Guess we'll wait and see.

Last edited:
Associate
I have managed to get a stable overclock (BF4 no artifacts/Crashing) of 1220/5300, any higher on the memory and I get black screen crashes, any higher on the core I get artifacts. I can run benchmarks (valley/heaven) at 1250/5700 no problems, but I'm quite happy with this overclock for BF4 at least. Maybe it'll change with driver updates and maybe with some BF4 patches/Mantle.

Guess we'll wait and see.

My max on the memory is 5400(1350) ang more will blackscreen eventually on bf4. It can bench at 1200/1500.
I can get 1200 on the core but havnt tried higher.
My overclock is set to 1150/1350 as thats the max i can do with msi afterburner with 100mv. I dont like gputweak and i am not bothered to use the shortcut to add more voltage in msi everytime.
So my card is similar performance

Associate
Either overclock is safe. Save each profile and activate them manually if you need the extra grunt. If i wasnt so sure that half my GPU tweaking software would rebel if i switched afterburner on auto start, iw ould have my 1233/1500 24/7.

Going to flash to Asus bios soon (prob wait for a mantle supported benchmark tool or for mantle to be patched into some mainstream games) and then really abuse the 540mm of radiator thats cooling one CPU and one GPU.

I have a 290x and a 4930k with 600mm worth of rad space to put to the test

Associate
Well played with overclocking mine yesterday. Got 1200 / 1500 at 1.3v after a valley run to see if stable. gpu tweak was showing 43 degrees. This is watercooled 520mm rad space cooling i7 4770k and 1 290x. Fans and pump on low.

Only problem was after I reset everything to default i started getting System Memory errors. Seeing as I have not OC'ed the cpu or the system memory I have no idea why.

Swapped memory for the 8 gigs in my server and everything running fine.

Associate
Received my 290X yesterday and what a beauty it is. A major upgrade from my 6870.

20131223_202956.jpg~original

Add me to the owners roll of honour :)

Back
Top Bottom