• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Soldato
Hi guys,

Hope you've all had a great Christmas;), mine's been great, Epic presents off the mrs;)

77na.jpg

Can't wait to get it benched!, hopefully it'll be a Strong performer like my last.

Very nice :)

-------------------------

Happy Xmas everyone, hope you all had a good one, best Xmas ever imho, really nice chilled out day with the fam, Kids over the moon with their presents, and now I get to chill out and spend a lil time on my PC or PS4 :D

Soldato
Cheers for the comments guys, I've truly gone full circle, I've done 280x, 290x, 780ti, 270x and now back to 290x all within 2-3 months, I can hand on heart say, that the 290x is the better card imo.

Not had chance to get it installed today but tomorrow I'll get setup and benchmarked, hopefully it'll be a great clocker and have hynix memory.

Associate
Cheers for the comments guys, I've truly gone full circle, I've done 280x, 290x, 780ti, 270x and now back to 290x all within 2-3 months, I can hand on heart say, that the 290x is the better card imo.

Not had chance to get it installed today but tomorrow I'll get setup and benchmarked, hopefully it'll be a great clocker and have hynix memory.

Wow really on paper the 780ti looks like it should be better how come you sent it back I would really like to know hiw you found it and what was up with it in your option :) cheers in advance dude.

Man of Honour
OP

Wow really on paper the 780ti looks like it should be better how come you sent it back I would really like to know hiw you found it and what was up with it in your option :) cheers in advance dude.

I would be interested in the answer to this.

Something I have noticed with the 780ti is that on paper they have better specs than the Titans, yet at the very top of the benching threads they are not pushing the Titans out. I have always put this down to the fact that the Titans can use the 320.xx series of drivers and the 780ti's can not.

Soldato
It's a tough one guys, tbh, the 780Ti is a fantastic card, there is no doubting that, it's insanely fast, quiet, looks awesome, a perfect card really, the biggest issue for me is the cost.

The REF 290X is also insanely fast, but can be loud over a certain fan speed, normally 55-65% depending on user and doesn't have the aesthetic appeal like the 780ti (although after getting my first i was quite impressed actually by how solid it felt and looked)

In terms of Pure Performance the 780Ti should on paper be the better card, but what i found was FPS at 1080P were no better than my 290X, infact in BF4, hitman and sleeping dogs, the 290X had a slight lead with both cards at stock.

Crysis 3, Skyrim and bioshock all favored the 780Ti, with it beating my 290X in all of these games.

Overall i thought that while the 780Ti probably/is the faster card, it doesn't actually show it in games, at least the one's i have, certainly not enough to justify the cost anyway.

Please don't take what i've wrote as nvidia slating, it's not, just my honest opinion on two fantastic cards, i just found myself looking for the performance to match the price difference between the two and i couldn't, at least not in my system.

Associate
It's a tough one guys, tbh, the 780Ti is a fantastic card, there is no doubting that, it's insanely fast, quiet, looks awesome, a perfect card really, the biggest issue for me is the cost.

The REF 290X is also insanely fast, but can be loud over a certain fan speed, normally 55-65% depending on user and doesn't have the aesthetic appeal like the 780ti (although after getting my first i was quite impressed actually by how solid it felt and looked)

In terms of Pure Performance the 780Ti should on paper be the better card, but what i found was FPS at 1080P were no better than my 290X, infact in BF4, hitman and sleeping dogs, the 290X had a slight lead with both cards at stock.

Crysis 3, Skyrim and bioshock all favored the 780Ti, with it beating my 290X in all of these games.

Overall i thought that while the 780Ti probably/is the faster card, it doesn't actually show it in games, at least the one's i have, certainly not enough to justify the cost anyway.

Please don't take what i've wrote as nvidia slating, it's not, just my honest opinion on two fantastic cards, i just found myself looking for the performance to match the price difference between the two and i couldn't, at least not in my system.

Thanks dude great info I am sure I am not the only one who is greatful I felt like I would be in the same boat looking for a lot more out of the 780ti to justify the cost.

Soldato
Has anyone had any experience of the fan not going above 44%, no matter if the switch is set to Quiet or Uber? Is there any way to remove the limit, so it can spin up as fast as it wants? In CCC I can only set the speed manually, and I don't want to set it to 50%+ constantly!

Caporegime
Has anyone had any experience of the fan not going above 44%, no matter if the switch is set to Quiet or Uber? Is there any way to remove the limit, so it can spin up as fast as it wants? In CCC I can only set the speed manually, and I don't want to set it to 50%+ constantly!

Yes! I believe this is one of the possible reasons for the black screen bug. Set a manual fan profile in CCC or afterburner.

I've reported that bug to Thracks & AMD so they're aware of it. Are you on Windows 8?

dEtbWpY.jpg

Back
Top Bottom